SMC 48 (8.2.2010 to 8.16.2010)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2010   #1
SMC 48 (8.2.2010 to 8.16.2010)

- The speed modelling challenges are open to everybody.
- In every challenge you will get a list of items. Pick one and try to model it as fast as possible. If you want, you can do all of them.
- Do not exceed the time limit of the challenge. If you're out of time and still haven't finished, post the unfinished model.
- If you finish before the time limit, spend the remaining time on refining and adding details to your model.
- Focus on modelling. Shading, lightning and "proper" rendering are optional (and thus not limited by time).
- Take as much time for reference hunting as you need.
- When posting your model make sure you post a wireframe of your model. (try to do more then one view of the model).
- You can do any challenge you want. The challenges are not closed when the SMC passes. If you fancy an older challenge, do that.
- For the concept items you have to create your own designs. If possible post the design images as well.

Items (2h time limit)

- a screwdriver with screws,
- clothespin,
- fireplace,
- movie theater,
- film projector,
- pigeon,
- solar power plant,
- kitchen,
- canoe,
- ice hockey goal.

Concept items (3h time limit) - design it yourself!

- guitar,
- glasses,
- sword,
- telephone,
- anything you want, but it has to be your own design.

Happy modelling!

Old 08 August 2010   #2
clothespin

12 minutes

www.shonmitchell.com/images/clothespinScreens.jpg

you know, I would really Love to know how to get these damned pics to start showing up in the thread >:\

Last edited by HCGremlin : 08 August 2010 at 12:54 AM.

Old 08 August 2010   #3
Hehe, we have the same clothespins

Why don't you just use imageshack? I think there's a size limit on the forum (not sure tho).

Old 08 August 2010   #4
I'd kinda wanted to stay away from having to go to another place to post pics only to go here to repost, thought there might be some way to just link them to my own image directory and have them show up just like if you were using imageshack :\

Old 08 August 2010   #5
Like this?

Open your link, r-click on the image, copy image address, and just put the url of the image in the "Insert Image" window in this forums reply. Just putting the regular url (the one you gave) does not seem to work, if you put it in the "Insert Image" window. I guess they are a bit different.

Old 08 August 2010   #6
Awesome! Thanks MSus!!!

Old 08 August 2010   #7
Fresh out of raytrace engine.... :(

Had to try the kitchen, 1 hour 45 minutes.
I should set my priorities straight though, damn.

Old 08 August 2010   #8
Looks good, cool detail on the panels.

Trying to model a movie projector, hopefully will be able to finish tomorrow.

Old 08 August 2010   #9
Msus, cool thank you. Sure was hard to construct a kitchen within 2 hours, everything became very primitive.

Tried to change the light and messed around with some colors. Still not the biggest fan with internal render engines...

http://i34.tinypic.com/2dhsldh.jpg

Reference photo:

http://i33.tinypic.com/1zxaxvk.jpg

Hope it is still legal to post reference pictures on the net?
'Not easy to follow all the rules and regulations... especially with the latest gossip on the net about lawsuits from bloomberg concerning linking material...
Hmm.

Old 08 August 2010   #10
I figured I'd take a shot at doing the film projector from the first list. Got a little bit of mouse-clicker-itis, but still managed to use the whole 2-hr period before getting some of the pieces on. Not much point in showing other views, because the reference only had this view angle as well.

Reference:
This projector found on the first Google image search page.

Old 08 August 2010   #11
Looks good, mine needs a bit more work (i'm at an hour and somewhat), will post when I finish (either time wise, or just fed up )

Bah, internet lawsuits. Thankfully I'm in a country that doesn't have a proper legal system. They can try to sue me.

Old 08 August 2010   #12
Originally Posted by MSus: Looks good, mine needs a bit more work (i'm at an hour and somewhat), will post when I finish (either time wise, or just fed up )

Bah, internet lawsuits. Thankfully I'm in a country that doesn't have a proper legal system. They can try to sue me.

I hate the fact that you've put Any other concepts in the list. I would rather just have a few given items like we used to. (Just a suggestion)

Just under 2hrs, got stuck at the rendering stage. Will try and render it again tomorrow.

Old 08 August 2010   #13
Added a few bits I didn't get on in the 2 hour window. Then 5 more minutes to slap on some procedural shaders, setup lights, and rendered to see just how close it gets to the reference.

Well I can't say that it's terrible for something with a total of work done that's still very close to 2hrs.

Old 08 August 2010   #14
The internal render is a disaster, I ended up doing adjustments to the render for longer time than it took to model the piece. Baah

Screwdriver and screws, 1 hour and 45 minutes. Kind of satisfied this time with the shaft of the screwdriver, had a screwdriver like that here at home.
I do find it easier when you have what you are gonna model, placed in front of you.

took some liberties with the screws and bits for the screwdriver, which didn't work out too well...

I certainly hope that they are gonna fix yafaray for windows 64, don't think I can stand this internal render much longer.

Here's the picture link, a little bit bigger:
http://i38.tinypic.com/11tx0tx.jpg

Last edited by whom : 08 August 2010 at 08:31 PM.

Old 08 August 2010   #15
Originally Posted by God-Of-Zilla: The internal render is a disaster, I ended up doing adjustments to the render for longer time than it took to model the piece. Baah

Screwdriver and screws, 1 hour and 45 minutes. Kind of satisfied this time with the shaft of the screwdriver, had a screwdriver like that here at home.
I do find it easier when you have what you are gonna model, placed in front of you.

took some liberties with the screws and bits for the screwdriver, which didn't work out too well...

I certainly hope that they are gonna fix yafaray for windows 64, don't think I can stand this internal render much longer.

Here's the picture link, a little bit bigger:
http://i38.tinypic.com/11tx0tx.jpg

True knowing something is right infront of you makes the job whole lot easier.
You have some talent boy.

Thread Closed share thread