Low Poly Alien

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2003   #1
Low Poly Alien

I wanted to try some really low poly work, so this was the result. I'm going to put him in WC3, and although most foot units are around 500 polies, I think this should still work. I'm not sure if I should put the alien mouth/tongue on him. C&C?

**EDIT** To reflect the latest version. To see the original, look at alien01.jpg through alien04.jpg

Last edited by Akumu : 10 October 2003 at 12:54 PM.

Old 09 September 2003   #2
Looks like a good start...

I would consider sacrificing some polys--like the ones around the collar area--and using them for more detailed head/hands.
I don't know the limitations of WC3, but some extra details would be nice--like the mouth you mentioned.

-jim

www.jimconrad.net

Old 09 September 2003   #3
Good point! I've removed almost 200 triangles (down to 526) and it still looks pretty good. I'm not going to put a mouth on it, because the skin will give it all the teeth it needs. And for a RTS like this, the attack animation will be a lot more valuable than extra polies put into an attacking tongue.

WC3 supports up to 1k polies for heros, and normal units should be around 400-600.

Old 09 September 2003   #4
It would be good to put some more polys around the joints, like the elbow and knees, so that it will deform better. The way it is right now, for example, the arm is going to get really skinny at the elbow when it bends. Like you said, animation is the most important.

. . . ~ Visit my world ~ . . .

Old 09 September 2003   #5
I'm new at this, so I don't know what it takes to reduce deformation... would 1 more line around the joints help, or should there be more?

Old 09 September 2003   #6
If you want to stay as low poly as possible, then just add one edge at the elbow, so that there's kind of a V shape from the inner arm out to the elbow. Same with the knees. So you would have one edge at the back of the knee, and two in front that would define the top and bottom of the knee.

. . . ~ Visit my world ~ . . .

Old 09 September 2003   #7
Here he is, updated and lowered poly.

**EDIT** Got rid of old image.

Last edited by Akumu : 10 October 2003 at 12:55 PM.

Old 10 October 2003   #8
OK, I finaly got around to skinning this critter. However I've learned that my first unwrap job really wasn't that good at all (and to think it took me 14 hours that first time LOL). However it won't matter for this model, since he's for RTS games, and he'll be tiny on the screen.

Here he is:

Old 10 October 2003   #9
i think you should keep in mind the initial pose of the alien is more bent over, this may help you sacrifice pollys around the stocmach area

Old 01 January 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread