sketchbook thread

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2010
sketchbook thread

Don't really know where else to put this, but I posted my previous one in this forum and it wasn't moved / deleted at the time

Anyway, after quite a long break I decided to give it a go again. The urge and love is still there, I just have to stop getting depressed about it all the time. I recently got a new job which allows me to Photoshop almost all day long and although it has little to do with the type of CG I'd like to do I'm learning a lot like shortcuts and better use of layers besides multiply, screen and overlay (although those are still my favourites).

I won't be able to do a piece a day with the hours I make now, but I'll definitely try at least 1 study a week (aiming for more of course) and a sketch a day.

Here's a few sketches I did in the meantime (been 2 years since I last posted something here or so ?). Any C&C is always welcome!

Blindfolded broadsword warrior

Cyber Valkyrie

Mahou Shoujo

Milk Maid

Miko

Halbedier

Hmm, they're larger than I thought they'd be ...
My blog

Last edited by RicoD : 07 July 2010 at 09:49 PM.

07 July 2010
2nd message since I can't post all those images in a single post apparantly ...

Speed Paintings

I can't paint environments for the life of me, so need to really train this more. Only way I know is by painting by ref, but this one was a test of those brushes all the cool environment artists seem to use.

Environment brush test, 1.5 hours

Studies
So, I want to get better at painting, environments, cinematography, perspective, layout, characters, color, tone ... hmm, everything now that I think of it. But focusing on environments and the cinematographic feel I decided to do studies of film shots, starting today.

Breakfast at Tiffany's

Source frame
My focus was conveying the mood, and not to copy it verbatim. So I didn't measure or use guidelines and such. Although it kinda bugs me now that my Audrey ended up way wider than the actual Audrey and is a lot more to the right and slanting left and the perspective of the buildings are off (particularly that 2nd building from the left) ... oh well, already spent an hour more than intended. 4 hours in total. I also had to do a lot of color, brightness and saturation correction. Those looked fine on my workscreen, but once I opened a new window and placed it on my source screen ... yikes! Still a bit too bright perhaps.

'Finished Pieces'
Well, they're not. I'm just trying to move on without touching these too much. I might revisit them at a later point though, when I have hopefully improved.

Gungirl
I know, a recurring theme ... I did the lineart and basic colors for it back in 2008, but decided to finish it up a bit earlier this month.

Mech scene
I'm watching giant robo anime again (I stopped for a while after having watched too many of those and got all into series like Nana instead. But since my tolerance for the same old junk is back again I can watch those scifi animes again without getting too annoyed ^^). Anyway, rather small and fast (for my standard) piece: About 6 hours

Looking forward to any C&C!
My blog

07 July 2010
Some more sketches:

Elfish

Gothloli Alice

Plug

Sketch for painting:

The following is a sketch I'm going to try and paint out. I'm combining a few reference photo's. Some found on the internet, a couple of sky photo's by myself and trying to incorporate a smidge of Alphonse Bouguereau (l'Innocence to be exact).

So far a rough sketch with some values. I'm going for main light: cloudy, overcast with a secondary inexplainable soft light in the background.

Any C&C on the value / line sketch so far would be much appreciated.

My blog

07 July 2010
good sketches

You've got some nice things going on, especially with your color work. Keep at that pad!

07 July 2010
@allerag: Thanks Thomas! I intend to. ^^

My first color pass of Jeanne (going for a Jeanne d'Arc thing here) minus the armor. I've never drawn, let along painted anything with her head tilted like this before, Something bugging me, but can't quite grasp it. Especially the ear, which looks too far away from the face, but maybe there's more. Better let it rest for now and come back with a fresh eye tomorrow. Any C&C in the meantime would be much appreciated.

My blog

07 July 2010
I made a second pass. Tried to adjust the head to something more realistic. Still haven't touched the armor. Failed miserably on the fabric.

My blog

07 July 2010
My Jeanne's head looks particularly awful. I'm going to completely redo it from scratch, because this is going nowhere.

I did another movie still study in the meantime: The Messenger (Since I'll be painting armor soon and well, it's Jeanne...)
Anyway, I placed some markers and used guides this time to maintain the exact composition. Some shifting took place during painting (another 4 hours). Overall, It ended up too bright again. Any other C&C ?

Study of a still from The Messenger

The still that was used
My blog

Last edited by RicoD : 07 July 2010 at 07:53 PM.

07 July 2010
Did another study. Still staying medieval.

Archers

I placed markers and then went for a 1 minute sketch. Trying to speed things up a bit and focus more on overall shapes, tone and colour instead of getting everything as close to the original as possible.
My blog

07 July 2010
A doodle :

Even though I only spent like 1.5 hours on it (I'm used to times like 20 hours and so just for a doodle ... training to get faster though ) I still think I overrendered. A lot of the sketchy charm went away now. :( Plus, I really should've done a line sketch first ...

Might use this for a full piece when I'm better at this whole painting thing.
My blog

Last edited by RicoD : 07 July 2010 at 09:50 PM.

07 July 2010
A study of a frame from the movie Atonement this time:

Ronan
I spent a bit more time on this one again. About 3 hours total, of which a good half hour on getting the sketch right enough this time.
My blog

Last edited by RicoD : 07 July 2010 at 11:10 PM.

07 July 2010
Studying Bouguereau's Le Gouter. Trying to get as close as possible this time.Spent about 3 hours so far and got up to this point.

My blog

07 July 2010
Looks like I was getting lost into details too soon. And guess I'm not ready to paint in color from the start . So, I backtracked a bit and put down some rough shapes and values first. Done about an hour. Will have to refine tomorrow.

My blog

07 July 2010
2nd pass and first attempt on getting her face right. Still struggling despite the many guides I placed. I'm trying not to 'paint what I know' but adjusting according to what I see. But those eyes are the first thing I'll fix next time I work on this. :S

My blog

Last edited by RicoD : 07 July 2010 at 11:12 PM.

10 October 2010
Sorry for the late reply, but thanks Mikhail!

I was busy with the workshop "Becoming a Better Artist" from Robert Chang (Lunatique). Actually, still working on it ...

Wanted to post a WIP here of a mood / concept piece I'm working on. Need to fix some value / perspective issues, add some visual interest and such. C&C are welcome and much appreciated!

version from the 25th:

version from the 28th:
My blog

Last edited by RicoD : 10 October 2010 at 11:23 PM.

Thread Closed share thread