question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  09 September 2003
st basils dome question

Ok im making st. basils church located in the kremlin (you know teh cathedral with teh cool looking domes) well anyways to the point how would you make them have that twist and the jaggieness on them? for the twist i was thinking of making multiple cylinders and twisting them but the other one i have no ideas can i get some help ppl

Last edited by link84 : 09 September 2003 at 02:05 PM.
 
  09 September 2003
It would be a lot more productive to post an image and ask "how do I do this?".

I certainly am not going to go digging through google images to hopefully find the image that illustrates what your talking about.

Also please give your threads a descriptive title. Simply titling your thread "question" does nothing for setting expectations about the threads contents. To say nothing of the confusion browsing several thousand threads title "question".

Last edited by Electrofirma : 09 September 2003 at 05:35 AM.
 
  09 September 2003
heres whjat ive tried so far its the green and organge colored dome. i havent had much sucess but im getting closer
Attached Images
File Type: gif st basils dome test_perspshape_tmp.gif (5.2 KB, 114 views)
 
  09 September 2003
I don't really know if this will work but it's an idea for the jaggy dome. Maybe you could just make the dome like it didn't have any jagged point or curves on it. Then subdivide and scale all the verts that have been made (by the subdivide) in the middle of each quad you made. You would have to have a pretty light mesh in quads to start but that's how i would do it. I hope that was clear i'm not very good at explaining how I would do things.
 
  09 September 2003
This was done with cylinders, then a flare and a twist.

As I'm looking at the ones with the diamond pattern (jaggies?) I'm seeing that they are simply a variation of the twisted ones, with the spiral running both directions.

Great choice for a modeling excercise!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test.jpg (6.0 KB, 96 views)
 
  09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Electrofirma
This was done with cylinders, then a flare and a twist.

As I'm looking at the ones with the diamond pattern (jaggies?) I'm seeing that they are simply a variation of the twisted ones, with the spiral running both directions.

Great choice for a modeling excercise!


thats quite good but could you explain some more on the jagged ones im having a hard time with them. hows my dome tho? i used a pcylinder and then made a curve and just extruded the faces along the curve. its gonna be hard but if i do get it done it will look awesome. i know how to do the other spiral ones where they go in ill post them in an hour or so
 
  09 September 2003
heres one with the cross and ball ontop just disregard the other thing on the left thats the thing i duplicated and the bottom i still have to clean that up
Attached Images
File Type: gif hows this.gif (4.1 KB, 75 views)
 
  09 September 2003
This was done with a single cylinder, applied an Edit Polygons->Poke Faces to the whole thing, then added a flare. (no twist)

I think this would be my choice of the way to go to get a base geometry to work with.

Have fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test2.jpg (6.9 KB, 77 views)
 
  09 September 2003
Here's a good image, better contast of jaggie details.

http://www.piersallison.co.uk/trave.../st_basils2.jpg
 
  09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Electrofirma
This was done with a single cylinder, applied an Edit Polygons->Poke Faces to the whole thing, then added a flare. (no twist)

I think this would be my choice of the way to go to get a base geometry to work with.

Have fun!


WOW thanks a bunch that helps alot my question now is on the red and white one is that smooth? and Ty for the picture.

Also what do you mean by flare?

Last edited by link84 : 09 September 2003 at 05:57 PM.
 
  09 September 2003
Looking at other pictures it looks as if the red and white dome was designed to be smooth around the individual colored bands, and jagged verticaly between the bands.

flare = animation menu set, deform->create linear->flare. Then in the channel box select the flare deformer, set the ending x and z to zero, and the curve to about .5

The more I dig around and look at images the more I like this building as a modeling exercise. Do you have any images which show decent top/front/left/etc. views? I'm having difficulty just getting my mind around the basic shape of the structure.

Last edited by Electrofirma : 09 September 2003 at 06:25 PM.
 
  09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Electrofirma
Looking at other pictures it looks as if the red and white dome was designed to be smooth around the individual colored bands, and jagged verticaly between the bands.

flare = animation menu set, deform->create linear->flare. Then in the channel box select the flare deformer, set the ending x and z to zero, and the curve to about .5

The more I dig around and look at images the more I like this building as a modeling exercise. Do you have any images which show decent top/front/left/etc. views? I'm having difficulty just getting my mind around the basic shape of the structure.


i could hook you up with quite a few pictures just give me a way to contact you and ty again
 
  09 September 2003
another solution for creating the diamond shapes on the dome is this workflow:

- Create cylinder with 20 subdivision around and 10 in the height
- select all faces
- use edit polygons->poke faces to create the diamond shapes
- use a lattice to deform into the dome shape
- use a twist deformer to make is spiral
__________________
www.cgskies.com/ - 300+ HDR panoramic skies!
www.cgtextures.com/ - I like textures!
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.