look under the hood :: autorig

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
look under the hood :: autorig

Thought some out there might be interested in new messiah features, and since I'm stumbling through them myself - well, here is one super nifty one that promises to get a whole lot better in the near future.

First, ya open messiah, set directory if you wish.
New is the ability to save everything as a messiah project (mpj) instead of the previous fxs files, which only linked to external meshes, etc.

Then ya load yer guy. Or gal. Or Deev. I'm testing this with a model I did for the incredible Ila Solomon. (http://www.ilasolomon.com)

edit: oops! Forgot to mention that this is Ila's design. Check out projects -> Meat Trouble!

Then...

drip.de

Last edited by dobermunk : 09 September 2003 at 01:45 PM.

09 September 2003
... ya go to the animate mode tab where you apply effects (bones, etc.) and rig etc.

Oh yeah, if he's facing the wrong direction, spin him around. Doesn't matter if you do this after the other steps. I'm still exploring the flexibility of messiah but it is a lot more forgiving than other programs I've played with.

Then select what rig you want (only one at the moment), choose bones (unless you want to hang pieces on a robot-like rig of nulls (or bones, for that matter, or - okay, ya get the picture)

drip.de

09 September 2003
... and your base rig is done. As you'll see this has IK legs with feet that you can twist from the toe, a nice spine rotate handle and good base shoulder set-up. Activate that "symmetry' button and...

Fit him to your guy. Goes quick, just drag the joint nodes, switching views as needed.

switch to the effects tab (still under set-up) and select your mesh on the left (items list) and the skeleton on the right (effects list). Assign the link to each other by clicking 'add'. Done. Animate.

Now comes the best part. add muscle bones, anchor bones Hands, even other auto-rigs (dragon wings oh pretty please) and whatever your guy fancies!

drip.de

09 September 2003
You left out one important tip. Double click on the wrist controls while in animate mode and previously invisible controls for the shoulders and arms appear giving you even more good stuff to animate with.

09 September 2003

I didn't even know about that. Thanks!
Yeah, there's a tip in the docs.

drip.de

09 September 2003
Actually, try double-clicking on all of the controls - most have hidden extras. There's even a switch on the shoulders that determines whether shoulder movement effects the spine, IIRC.

09 September 2003
> Fit him to your guy. Goes quick, just drag the joint nodes,
> switching views as needed.

Don't forget you can have dual or quad view. Press w on the keyboard to toggle dual view on and off, or q for quad.

09 September 2003
Dobermunk,

Thanks for posting that ... it really helps out people like me who are just getting started with Messiah

09 September 2003

It hel;ps me, too! Getting the other guys to spit out cool tips!
I'll try to post more as I stumble acorss it, feel free to contribute. I'm double-timing between my messiah explorations and a design contract, so....

messiah is looking incredible though. It is the first environment in which I feel empowered to rig and animate characters. (Even though I haven't taken hold of this power yet.)

drip.de

09 September 2003
This looks cool. When will the demo for Animate4 be out?

10 October 2003
hey, what gives? i keep getting name/pass dialog when loading this page...

-mG

10 October 2003
yap, for me too

10 October 2003
sorry guys.
Slipped while putting up a client password protection.

drip.de

10 October 2003
ok...that's pretty freakin awesome! um...damn paycheck, where are you? I have to upgrade now!!!!

-mG

10 October 2003
Double clicking on the main foot control also exposes
other controls for the foot...really awsome.

Gene

Thread Closed share thread