WIP: Gimpy Dwarf

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
WIP: Gimpy Dwarf

I blame this entirely on my wife watching pulp fiction last night... Just don't tell her.

Q: What kind of dwarf gets kept out of sight in a cottage in the middle of the woods?
A: The Gimpy kind you keep gagged, tied and chained in a locked closet in the basement.

I think he needs more chains and straps... gonna go peruse edward scissorhands for more inspiration..... or i may just crack open AM and start playing trying to get a good black shiny leather effect, hmmmm...

09 September 2003
Haha, looking good so far.

09 September 2003
bug #1

Well found my first bug so far.
made a material that crashes to desktop uunless I render without using the multipass renderer.
Project avail for download here

Sent it to the hash guys.

Workaround: made a simpler material that works.

EDIT::
Got a response from the hash guys, should be fixed in the next release( coming tonight ) Ill keep everyon posted...
Man It's nice having support with that kind of turnaround

EDIT # 2 ::(sept 20)
Still broken in 10.5j resubitted to HASH and they said they're takin a look at it.

Last edited by Drakkheim : 09 September 2003 at 05:13 AM.

09 September 2003
Oh man, you are demented.... but in a good way! This will be great. I swear we will need to get a group shot of all these guys when the contest is done.

09 September 2003
Bug #2

Ok spent yesterday working on the model. I discovered that scaling a shortcut to a material gradually created serveral thousand shortcuts to the material under the drivers->groups folder. It got to the point where my model was almost 7 megs on disk.
Sent it to hash guys.

Workaround : delete all shortcuts to the material and remove the drivers->groups folder and everything oes back to normal. granted you'll have to reapply the material but that's not a big thing.

Will post WIP shots tonght when i get off of work.

09 September 2003
Currently the model is starting to shape up. The beard still needs tons more work before it'll look decent. however the basic body suit and straps are taking shape fairly well.
I've still got a good bit more little buckles and straps and zippers to put on the body (especially the back)

I'm about ready to copy/flip/attach the main bodysuit tho so i can start smoothing it out.

basic body suit no beard.

With beard.. and here are a couple wire's if that's the kind of stuff that interests you.

Well that about does it for my free time this week. Looks like I'll have more time next weekend but until then I'll probably only have a little time to play with smoothing things out.

-Drakk
PS. anyone know how to turn the locking part of the quickrender lock off? I just want it to do a quick progressive render lit it did in 8.5???
Since the damn thing refreshes whenever i touch anything, which has a tendancy to crash AM for me....

09 September 2003
Wow! Gimpy is going to look great!

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Drakkheim
PS. anyone know how to turn the locking part of the quickrender lock off? I just want it to do a quick progressive render lit it did in 8.5???
Since the damn thing refreshes whenever i touch anything, which has a tendancy to crash AM for me....

Drakkheim,

Looks great so far. You're fast!

To remove the render lock and get the regular progressive render you need to go to the customize panel and drag the progressive render icon to your toolbar. Unless you still want the render lock icon available, you can drag it back to the customize panel. Then you need to delete the keyboard shortcut to the render lock and make the same keyboard shortcut apply to the progressive render button. Or just create a new keyboard shortcut to the progressive render button.

Jim

(Edited to make better sense. Duh.)

Last edited by JTalbotski : 09 September 2003 at 06:01 PM.

09 September 2003
Sweet! thanks a bunch that was really begionning to drive me buggy.

d

09 September 2003
Ditto, the continuous render is handy for some things, but I'm glad to hear it can be made optional

Gimpy is looking great

Quote: that was really begionning to drive me buggy.

Don't say things like that! Or else Hash'll start saying "it's not the software that's buggy, it's the users!!"

Last edited by Bugle : 09 September 2003 at 06:22 PM.

09 September 2003
That is lookng great so far. I'm assuming you are probably about the farthest along. That'll give you more time to tweak him later.

09 September 2003
hehe thanks for the comments fellas.
At this point Im just hoping that I have ENOUGH time to finish him..... I got luck this weekend and wound up with the wife going to see her family and wound up getting a full uninterrupted day to myself

Oh I also forgot to mention earlier, running winamp 3x. behind AM causes TONS of crashes (ever since winamp got fancy and started supporting antialiased custom-sizable skins). So if ya gotta listen to the Mp3s, minimize the winamp window before starting AM. (Disclaimer: your milage will probably vary)

And the beard is just not working out... I may play with a mustache type solution. or something.....

09 September 2003
managed to get about a couple hours' worth of work in on gimpy over the last couple days. ..
as a result he now has the beginnings of shoes and I managed to get the body copy flip attached and started smoothing it out.
Made the decision to completely loose the beard for now.

Gimpy has been eating well, and as a result he gained about 50 pounds. His true character is beginning to show. ;-)

Dont have any screenshots but have a 740kb movie which patient people (my server connection upstream is kinda slow) can get HERE(on2 compressed qt) .

-d

09 September 2003
Quote: At this point Im just hoping that I have ENOUGH time to finish him.....

i'm still picking my jaw up off the floor having seen how fast you're working. Better pack up my dwarf RIGHT NOW..

09 September 2003
Hey, that is looking realy great! I like the way that the leather (or is it latex) is bulging out from between the straps. I realy liked that beard idea though and I hope that it gets back in.

Thread Closed share thread