Art Contest: Broken Heart (Seeking advice)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2010
Art Contest: Broken Heart (Seeking advice)

I'm in the process of plunging into a deep depression after pouring my heart and soul into a entry for the StarCraft II Propaganda Art Contest

The contest was deeply flawed, as most of the entires are plagiarized (specifically against the contest rules) and as the entries weren't displayed randomly only the first few pages are getting votes due to "TL;DR." This is all on top of a Facebook voting system that favors the socially interactive.

My entry is here on page 19

Looking at the other entries, I really feel I would have had a shot at winning had I been on a level playing field.

I'm not looking for sympathy or crits, just advice. I know we have a lot of frequent contest competitors in here, and I'm wondering how you pick up the pieces and move on after putting so much of yourself into something that turns out to be so pointless.

How do I get my optimism back?

07 July 2010
This may be a difficult pill to swallow, but don't complain on a forum about the contest. You come across as an entitlement-brat.

Aside from that I would recommend:
  • Enjoy your own success at completing the contest. Win or loose, you've still accomplished a goal. Focus on that.
  • Keep trying. Contest judging will often have flaws or be based upon social popularity. If you did your best and you were a good sport about it, then eventually you may see some of that popularity due to consistent and dedicated attitude.

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by Kirt: This may be a difficult pill to swallow, but don't complain on a forum about the contest. You come across as an entitlement-brat.

That makes perfect sense, and look, I would LOVE to have lost to superior work, and I probably would have, but I'll never even know because I never really got to compete. Most people didn't, only the one who submitted at the last moment.

There is work that is arguably much better than mine, but it has half the votes by virtue of being behind me in the page list. I'm thinking of this one specifically. Think how he must feel :(

To me it feels a lot like going into a job interview you were really excited about, and had been preparing for weeks for, creating a custom demo reel, polishing your portfolio, digging deep for a sense of optimism and holding onto it for dear life... Only to find that the position has already been filled.

I know the world isn't fair, I'm just looking for effective ways to cope and move on. (Alcohol only works in the short term)

Last edited by FuzzyModem : 07 July 2010 at 09:14 PM.

07 July 2010
Stop shuffeling about on the ground, try to fly.
Look at the best work you can possibly find and do likewise

07 July 2010
Every experience, even the sour and bitter ones, can be a source of learning. What did you learn from this experience? Hopefully something about your art. Secondly, maybe that your time is more valuable to you than to waste it on that site's art contests?

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by Kirt: Secondly, maybe that your time is more valuable to you than to waste it on that site's art contests?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm waffling between a desire to compete for a chance at recognition and respect at the risk of further disappointment, and the desire to play it safe, keep my head down, and only ever work on my own projects from here on out.

[edit] I will mention that I competed in the "Grand Space Opera" contest here on CGtalk and it was a wonderful experience. Though I didn't win anything (and didn't deserve to) I grew as an artist, the contest was presented and executed very professionally, and I even got published.

[edit]
It was partly due to this positive experience that I was so jazzed up about the StarCraft contest. I was also a huge StarCraft fan back in the day, and so my contest entry turned into an obsession.

I put in 127 hours in Maya, and I don't know how long in Photoshop. I skipped meals (yet somehow I gained weight.) I lost sleep. I started again from scratch three times. I neglected my wife, and my 9-5 job, all because I really believed if I worked hard enough...

I really do sound like a whiny bitch don't I?... I know I just need to suck it up and move on. I just don't know where to go from here...

Last edited by FuzzyModem : 07 July 2010 at 09:22 PM.

07 July 2010
Quote: I just don't know where to go from here...
CGTalk will have another contest here before long.

07 July 2010
I don't understand why you're so bothered. Just produce work for yourself, for enjoyment - make something you think is cool. Sometimes criticism feels harsh but, in this case, you just didn't get chosen as a winner in a contest. No one has said you've produced crap so, if you're happy with it, then that's all that matters. Stick it in your portfolio and move onto the next one.

07 July 2010
If you are a hobbyist, do this because you love it, not as a means of escaping something. 3D is kick ass, but it is addictive. If you are starting late your competition is younger and many of them have been participating in mods since the year zero. You can put loads of time and effort into this and still never reach a standard where by you can live from the craft.

Don't neglect you wife, kid and job. Those are things you worked hard for too. Read this:
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/money_mouth.htm

07 July 2010
Almost nothing worth having in this life comes equipped with "affirmation," or "a cheering section." It is rarely useful, therefore, to expect it. (Frankly, when I do see that someone is, as they said in Top Gun, maybe "blowing sunshine up my ," I guess I'm old-fart enough by now to be quite suspicious why they would be doing that.)

If someone's work was chosen over yours in a contest, celebrate their success along with them and study their work carefully. The competition, such as it is, is between the works. Don't allow it to be between the artists. Just don't.

Last edited by sundialsvc4 : 07 July 2010 at 02:25 PM.

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by Kanga:
Read this:
http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/money_mouth.htm

Man, that was a really great write-up. I don't work in games, but a lot of what he said can be applied to the type of stuff you do work on. Thanks for posting that.

07 July 2010
Quote: I just don't know where to go from here...

Quote: CGTalk will have another contest here before long.

Are you trying to make him suicidal?

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by imashination: Are you trying to make him suicidal?

He said he had a good experience with our challenge.

07 July 2010
It isn't that I lost, it's that I didn't get a chance to compete.

I will never know how my work really stacked up against the competition.

That's what hurts.

I can handle loosing.

[edit] I'm pulling out of it. In fact I'm re-starting a project I had put on the back burner since May. I'll be fine. I've been punched in the gut before, and I'll live, but I will NEVER enter a Blizzard contest again.

What are the profanity rules on this board? I should call Blizzard a bunch of _________?
*runs off looking for the rules.

[edit] ****tards. Blizzard is a bunch of ****tards. The people who ran that contest should be fired. And kicked in the balls.

...feels good to vent...

[edit] Lol! Found the filter.

Last edited by FuzzyModem : 07 July 2010 at 06:22 PM.

07 July 2010
Originally Posted by FuzzyModem: I will never know how my work really stacked up against the competition.

I thought the count on your entry showed you how you stacked up against the competition. Maybe I'm reading the page wrong, but it looks like 200+ people liked your illustration.

Thread Closed share thread