Smoothing in maya

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2010   #1
Smoothing in maya

Hey everyone

Im really confused with the use of the key '3' in Maya. It shows what your low poly geometry would look like if you smoothed it. I thought it was an actual tool and before I would render I would just hit 3 and render out my animation/model. In other words I never smooth anything I just hit '3'and leave it as is. I have now come to understand that you should smooth your work and only use 3 as a temporary viewing tool.

Is this the right or wrong thing to do, or doesnt it matter?

Thanks in advance

Old 06 June 2010   #2
The '3' key's real name is Smooth Mesh Preview, so yes your correct its usually only used a temporary viewing tool. When your ready to to uv i usually convert the smooth mesh preview to polygons, you can do that under the modify > convert tab.

Old 06 June 2010   #3
with mentalray in maya 2011 you can render the smooth-mesh-preview directly. its very useful, so you can work with the lowpoly-version and hit '3' to render it.

Old 06 June 2010   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread