SMC 45 (6-16 to 6-30)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2010   #1
SMC 45 (6-16 to 6-30)

Quote: - The speed modelling challenges are open to everybody.
- In every challenge you will get a list of items. Pick one and try to model it as fast as possible. If you want, you can do all of them.
- Do not exceed the time limit of the challenge. If you're out of time and still haven't finished, post the unfinished model.
- If you finish before the time limit, spend the remaining time on refining and adding details to your model.
- Focus on modelling. Shading, lightning and "proper" rendering are optional (and thus not limited by time).
- Take as much time for reference hunting as you need.
- When posting your model make sure you post a wireframe of your model. (try to do more then one view of the model).
- You can do any challenge you want. The challenges are not closed when the SMC passes. If you fancy an older challenge, do that.
- For the concept items you have to create your own designs. If possible post the design images as well.

Items (2h time limit)

- DJ mixing board,
- vacuum cleaner,
- steam locomotive,
- a toolbox (with tools!)
- a bowl of fruit,
- toothbrush,
- squirrel,
- fork, spoon and knife,
- dolphine,
- basketball court.

Concept items (3h time limit) - design it yourself!

- USB key,
- sunglasses,
- spaceship,
- speaker system,
- anything you want, but it has to be your own design.

Happy modelling!

Old 06 June 2010   #2
hi I modeling for about 3 months in 3dsmax and this is my third model without tutorial
toothbrush about 50min.

Old 06 June 2010   #3
Fork, Spoon and Knife - 1hour and 20minutes

bigger:
http://i48.tinypic.com/kegk0z.jpg

Wire

Oh boy what a strange week, sometimes life just chews you up and spit you out.
Good thing to get some modeling get going in between things like that, gotta hit the bed now.

Old 06 June 2010   #4
Dj mixing board

Hello CGsociety,

This is my first post to a speed modelling contest. I think I have the correct format and all for this. I completed the modelling in 2 hours with a trial Maya 2011. I am probably going to do a few models as practice over the summer well I have this trial version.

6722 vert's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dj_mixer1a.jpg (27.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg dj_mixer2a.jpg (37.1 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg dj_mixerwire1a.jpg (79.6 KB, 27 views)

Old 06 June 2010   #5
Speed Modeled in 1 hour:

Vacuum Cleaner

-Zethicus (Carlos Guadarrama) 2010

Old 06 June 2010   #6
that fork, knife and spoon need some thickness

MY WORK AT behance
www.behance.net/waldowalle

Old 06 June 2010   #7
Originally Posted by Wualforvalle: that fork, knife and spoon need some thickness

Yea you're right there, had trouble with both scale and thickness on them. Looked at my own kitchen ware lol.
Sat there and twisted and rotated them while modeling at the same time Lmao. Good point though, I tried double thickness in this one.
I think it works better, but the actual set was pretty thin but not paper thin though....

Btw let me know if this works better....

Old 06 June 2010   #8
Speed Modeled in 45 mins:

DJ Turntable

Render:

Wire:

Zethicus (Carlos Guadarrama) 2010

Old 06 June 2010   #9
@ God-Of-Zilla

Much much better. Thicker the better

@ zethicus

Try to use all of your time, so if you finish early use the remaining time for adding details.

Old 06 June 2010   #10
MSus, thank you. Weird how things like that can slip past you when you model, I guess that takes experience.

Squirrel - 1hour and 30 minutes + 30 minutes for the tail snif....

--
Well, everything went wrong with this one. Somehow I keep confusing myself with furry animals. I remember some guy previously talked about the geometry and yea mine is poor lol.
Tried the squirrel without a tail at first but then added something with particles but in the end it made it look like a tree or something.
Anyway I rather post it to keep myself motivated to keep modeling.

Impressive dj mixing boards above for sure.

Old 06 June 2010   #11
God-Of-Zilla

That is a really cool squirrel. I would have no idea were to start on making that. Probably cause I haven't done too much with organic modelling. I like how the tail come out. Very fluffy.

I think that the thickness is better on your silverware too.

I might try to do a spaceship next. I always like doing some crazy concept for them.

Happy modelling.

Old 06 June 2010   #12
Had a go at the mixing board as well. Spent an hour and twenty minutes on it. I think I'm going to try the steam locomotive or the basketball court tomorrow, and then if I'm feeling brave enough I'll try the organic model : P

Render:

Wireframe:

Old 06 June 2010   #13
@MSus

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll invest more time in the models

Here's first attempt at the bowl of fruit; I hate the grapes.

And wire..

Feedback / Critique is always welcome!

Old 06 June 2010   #14
Ran out of time on the basket ball court. Was trying to get more detail in but I failed. Those stands were meant to have floodlights on them and the hoop and stand were meant to look nicer but oh well. Lesson learned, work faster with less hesitation.

Next up is the Locomotive, probably tomorrow.

Render:

Wireframe: Not much to see here because it wasn't complicated but I'll post it here I guess.

Old 06 June 2010   #15
Dolphin, 1hour

Some things I should have done differently, gotta remember that for the next model.
Weird.. it is sometimes easy to become to complicated, adding things that doesn't need to be there. Funny how that works.... must be the brain fooling around....

Zerostrike - Thank you, very kind of you.

Thread Closed share thread