my mesh moves at different speeds when translating

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2010
my mesh moves at different speeds when translating

So I almost finished rigging up my character and went to see if everything is parented correctly, but when i went to translate the character using the root control, it translate at different speed. Some of the mesh moves further than the rest does. Can anyone help me out with how to fix this? I remember reading something about it in a tutorial but completely forgot what tutorial it was or what causes the problem. I attached pics of before and after translation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.JPG (34.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg after.JPG (37.8 KB, 17 views)

06 June 2010
It sounds to me like you may have a double transform. If you move your root object with your mesh hidden, are parts of the skeleton moving at different rates also?

06 June 2010
Ugh great. Now when I try to open the file i get that Fatal Error: Attempt to save error. People are saying to disable triple buffering in the open GL, but no one explains what that is or how to get there. Do you know? I'ma be really pissed if this file is somehow now corrupt,I was just using it yesterday and didn't make any changes besides altering the joints and rigging.

06 June 2010
Ok I fixed that little bug thing.

I put it on wireframe mode and the bones move how they should, it is just the mesh that is moving weird. The whole rig is not connected to joints, only the green parts (neck, arms and lower body). The rest is just mesh is parented with pivot points to controls and the proper mesh in the hierarchy because I didn't want them to deform when being animated (they are suppose to be kind of like a shell/armor while green parts are soft and flexible).

06 June 2010
Is the green stuff a seperate piece to your other pieces? Is this green stuff skinned and also parented to something?

06 June 2010
it looks like double transforms based on your picture. A quick fix would be to turn off inherent transforms in the objects attribute editor. You should check your hierarchy and make sure it's clean.

06 June 2010
Thanks guys. I turned off Inherits transform and it doesn't do it anymore. Thanks for the help. One more thing, can one of you tell me what it is that inherits transform does? Just so I can better understand what happened.

06 June 2010
When inherent transforms is on, the object will inherent translate, rotate, and scale from its parent.

06 June 2010
Ahhh ok, I think I understand now.

06 June 2010
Start with an empty scene. Create a polygon cube and group it once.
Turn off inherent transforms on the cube and move the group node around.
the polyCube should stay in place. Thats the easiest way to see what inherent transforms is doing.

It can get a bit more complicated when you're dealing with bound geometry or dynamics.

06 June 2010
Alright cool, well this fixed the problem I was having. Thanks.

06 June 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread