Animation : fighting two robots -Updated

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2003   #1
Animation : fighting two robots -Updated

Used Maya

Hi, all. Once I had posted this thread.

I havent worked on this for a while.. but finaly done.

But I need the final crits to make it complite.

For the last time I deened to fix camera stuff and some timings.. I thinks it has been better. So, what do you think on this..

divx 5.05 (about 3Mb)

I will thanks for all crits here!!

Edited :

Here comes the next thread..

------------------[Bruce lee]

Last edited by rmatlchans : 09 September 2003 at 06:58 AM.

Old 09 September 2003   #2
nice work,

I had trouble following the action because your background is white. it was hard to distinguish when you cut to a different angle.

oh yeah, the shadows need to be sharper, lighter shade. being so blurry, it seemed to interfere with the action.

other than that, I can see this being a real funny piece when you get sound in there.

Old 09 September 2003   #3
Thanks for the first crits, Joss!!

I like to have white back ground , so I go usealy with that..
but I havent noticed it couses that trouble.. I will figure out better idea. Thanks about it.

Then, honestly, I do wanna have better shadow for that too.
However, I donot know the way to get shadow which is getting blur by the distance.. which is more real..

Sorry for my english, I hope u could understand what I try to say.

Anyway, yeah, thanks for all you have mentioned and it will help a lot my final updating.

Old 09 September 2003   #4
Imo the ending seems oddly hurried. Big Robot finishes him off, he thinks, it's supposed to be the grand finalé, the climax of the fight just before the twist ending kicks in. But you hurry through it, and you barely let the viewer know the little robot has been knocked far up in the air.

I'd say reshoot and reanimate the endsequence to make it more easily understandable and enjoyable. Take a good hard long look at some of the various CGI shorts/movies out there (Pixar, Dreamworks, etc.), and you'll probably be able to pick up clues on how to time things for maximum fun.

Other than that, the entire sequence has some odd cuts now and again. Very fast cuts at times, where the new angle doesn't contain much information on how we're now oriented compared to the previous shot. If you were to cut from the small robot to the big robot, but keeping the small robot in view in the distance in the new cut, then that would be an easier transition to understand. It's not that it has to be that way every time, but, you know, where appropriate. As it is I think the cutting leaves you leaking fun-fluids, other viewers not used to animation might just give up on understanding what's going on.

Aaaand then there's the shadows.. they really are ugly. I actually think sharp raytraced shadows wouldn't neccessairly look aweful in that sort of stylized environment. But you say you have a desire for the soft shadow stuff. Well, I don't know what program you're using, but hopefully there's some way of setting up more advanced shadows.. even if it increases the rendertimes by several factors. That's what overnight rendering are for . You can fake soft shadows using sharp raytraced shadows, then blur them using Zbuffer images to blur them only where they are furthest from the source. It'll require some trickery and per-shot tweakage though.

Finally for the intense whiteness I would suggest some sort of horizont-gradient at least. I was thinking gray on the ground, that slowly gradientify into the pure white. Or let the pure white, if you like the look it gives, gradientify into a vague hint of blue or something. Well, whatever, doesn't have to be anything too extreme, but some sort of sense of where the horizont is and such would be nice. It would make it easier to cut between shots as well, since it would give a bit of positional information.

And though I know this forum doesn't dicate making positive comments, I do want to mention that I did laugh and smile at the animation as it is. It's pretty cool.

Old 09 September 2003   #5

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~ gaggle.... you got me!!!

For the first of all others, yeah, this ending isn't exactly what I wanted to make up! I am sad because I cpuldn't really make that and there is YOU who noticed that.....

Then, for the cutting scenes..... -_-
You know, gaggle... THIS IS THE HARDEST THING that I have ever faced! I have heard that comments every time I post this here, but I have no idea wht's wrong with my sequence work !

The problem... is that people point out, but I dont even see~!
Does this mean that I dont have talent or animation is not the way for me..???

Then.. shadow.. yeah, I have found the way better. I wounder what do you think of new shadows..

Then, for the last.... anyway, I will say.. this is DONE now..
No more spending time for this.
I am going to make the next one..
I hope will be better..

Here comes the next thread..

Last edited by rmatlchans : 09 September 2003 at 06:57 AM.

Old 01 January 2006   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread