graphics card opinions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2003   #1
graphics card opinions

Im building a new computer with a Asus A7V8X motherboard a 2500 athlon and 1gig of Ram. This will be my only computer and I will be using it to play games as well as for 3d modeling & animations. 3d graphics performance is more important to me than games but I would like a graphics card capable of playing some of the more intense games like doom III. My budget is around $300. I would like to here some sugestions on what graphics card I should get. Im thinking nvidia right now but I really have no idea what would be best geforce4, geforcefx or quadro, Or maybe and Ati card, any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09 September 2003   #2
Re: graphics card opinions

The Asus A7V8X uses a VIA chipset which may have problems with an nVidia display card. You might consider a board thathas an nVidia chipset as I would expect better performance and compatibility with MB with a chipset made by same manufacturer of the display card.

Old 09 September 2003   #3
I typed the wrong motherboard in. This is the one I plan on using.
Asus A7N8X

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...8&sku=A455-2020

It uses the nvidia chipset and has a 400mhz frontside bus so later I plan to upgrade to the athlon 3200 that is why I thought it would be a good choice.

Old 09 September 2003   #4
That's the mobo I have. My video card is a Suma geForce ti4200 128mb. It's a dream setup. I bought it around January and I love it. Any game I throw at it runs great. And Using Maya is no problem.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Savage_Henry : 09 September 2003 at 10:20 AM.

Old 09 September 2003   #5
I second the 4200, thats what I have and it works awesome, and for 100 bucks it makes my #1 budget list. If you have some more cash I would go for a 5900, ultra or non. Im pretty sure the non ultra goes for about $275...(?)
[COLOR=orange-red] My Cinema 4D Resource site[/COLOR]

Old 09 September 2003   #6
I don't know about games so I could be wrong. In my opinion I say go ahead and get a quadro if you want to go NVIDIA, at least it is supported and I have seen some good performace from quadro cards. This is just my opinion, others migh not agree with me.

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread