CGTalk > WIP > WIP/Critique: 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Dvici
Veteran

portfolio
David Vicich
Software Technology technical support rep.
Staplehurst, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Talking Old Cgsociety fan taking the plunge.

So I have been around for a while and have seen some marvelous work on the CGSociety. After having joined the military I have come to realize I have work I to could share and ask for critique. I just spent the last 2 hours uploading my work to my gallery, only 4 or 5 pieces display "Gasp!". It's ok though, i dont mind it just means I had to be selective on what I chose to show.

So for anyone willing to read this please feel free to check out my portfolio and let me know what you think of the 5 pieces currently on display. Also if anyone can tell me how to get the rest of my pieces to display that would be great.

Yours truly

DVICI

http://dvici.cgsociety.org/gallery/

Old 05-09-2010, 04:06 AM   #2
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Hey David,

You seem like someone who was born with a good talent for art, but was never properly trained.
Your stokes seem a little stiff and short, without much flow or comfort in your hand.

I like the works you have on display at the moment, but I would like to see more, new work from you.

I think you should start a new thread with a new project.

Do you have a favorite artist or favorite genre?
Choose a good reference picture or style, and get some live feedback as you work
If you have trouble choosing, or don't know many artists in the "theme" you want to work on, post back here and I'll try to help you come up with one.

I hope you continue to post, and share your work with us.

Sincerely,
-Bergquist

Old 05-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Dvici
Veteran

portfolio
David Vicich

hmm not a bad Idea

Thank you for the reply to my post. I agree I should start another project and indeed i am definatly working on that. I have a huge passion for enviroments and objects, and really trying to hash out the forms as I go along. My goal from here is to delve into matte paintings unless im not at that level yet in my drawings.

As for a genre I have no clue since im unbiased when it comes to topics what ever comes to mind. I am like most, a wandering vagrant and unsure as to where to go from here. I was always told that a solid foundation in drawing would help me in all other aspects of my creative mediums. So for the past 2 years that is all i have worked on, I like to think I have a decent foundation in drawing though not hyper realistic to attempt matte paintings. What do you think ?

I have 12 pieces on my gallery but only 5 are showing and for that I have no clue why. Im sure if you could see the others you could give me some wonderful feed back.

If I have to chose a type of work I would love to be a lot more horror/ fantasy esc. I am a hugh castlevania fan and have alwys wanted to create such works. I do not know of any artists in that "theme" or how to even begon building up toward works like that.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

hmmm....
let me think about this over today, and I'll get back with you

Old 05-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Dvici
Veteran

portfolio
David Vicich

many thanks

Many thanks I do appreciate any help I get. I have started on the loomis books for some training just to jump start my drive.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:38 AM   #6
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Mmmmk, So I looked around, and thought about it for a while, And I think I've found an image that would be more of a stepping stone for you into more difficult imagery.

Its a concept piece from Castlevania, Lords of Shadow.

Click Here to see very large image.

As you've expressed an interest in the creepy side, and have done a cathedral interior before, I thought this might be a good slide into the realm of matte painting without going to far out of your comfort zone.
Its also a concept with a lot of possibilities for expansion.
There are all kinds of things you can do to make it more horror/fantasy, including lighting changes, character changes (like a giant werewolf pinning a priest to the ground), and many other symbols and interior decor that would complete change the look of the scene to what you wanted.

So what do you think?
Is this something you would want to try your hand at?
Or is it not quite what you were thinking of?

There is a lot of other scenes and styles to go after, so don't hesitate to let me know

Cheers!

Old 05-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Dvici
Veteran

portfolio
David Vicich

nice piece

That looks like a nice picture to go off of. Especially for lighting and yes that is somewhat what I am looking for I would say. I guess where to go from here do I dive right into color or continue with the theoris thread work through the whole tutorials and then dive in. I am almost certain duplication will be easier then anything.

Is duplicatoin the way to go ? and then just add something else in its stead like you were suggesting?

I appreciate your time and help, Ill get right on working on things.

Misc side note lunatique and I had a breif chat about shadows / lighting and color theory. Seems before i give color a try I should work on those first so that I understand the basics better before tackling a full project. What do you think ?

Hope your having a great day.

Dvici

Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Hey David,
About the color, I agree with Luna that you need to have a strong understanding of value, or light and shadow, before adding in color.
This is one of the reasons I recommending trying something like the piece of artwork I posted. It is almost entirely black and white, with very little color at all. And what color there is was added on top as a last step.
In fact, most all of my pieces are created entirely in black and white first, then I go back and just colorize the layers. This give me full control over my color options and ensures I have a really good range and placement of value.

Here is a great example of this. It is the B-Movie Challenge Entry by Michael Dashow.
In it you can see his process as he creates his piece almost to completion in pure black and white values. Then has the ability because of that to choose what color family he thinks best suits the scene.
It is also a great example of process for you as he goes from scanned in sketch book ideas, all the way to a finished work.

I am assuming your working with a digital drawing tablet like a wacom or something, and are working in photoshop. Is that right?
If you don't have a tablet, I would seriously recommend getting one.
Its going to be very difficult for you to move forward into matte painting or otherwise without it.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Ello again

I didn't want you to feel like I was forcing you into recreating that art one piece in particular, so I found a few more images that I think would be good matte painting starters for you

1:

2:

3:

4:

If you want to stick with the cathedral shot, that's cool, or if you want to go with something other than any of these, that's also just fine.
As its your art work, I just want you to feel comfortable with it and really enjoy what your working on, not just see it as some image this guy said would be good for practice.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
Bergquist
3D Artist

portfolio
Aaron Bergquist
3D Stuff
BlueScope
USA

Hey David,
Just found this on another post, and thought you might be interested in reading it.
Its a 3 page article on matte painting composition and different layouts of composition in general.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Dvici
Veteran

portfolio
David Vicich

blown out of the water!!!

Lol all of those pieces blow me out of the water. As for a wacom I do have one and use it infrequently since I just got back intown. So for the most part I guess to start is duplication of a piece and work from there right ?

I want to thank you again by the way I do appreciate the direction you are giving me to help improve myself.

I am actually going to pick one of the ones you posted so I can try and duplicate what has been done to learn what could be done. And i will post as I contiunue to work on it.

Until later on

DVICI

Old 05-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread