Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
eathquaketry
Frequenter
portfolio
Jonney Pickham Shreded
freelance
France

what is the point from animating on flipbook b4 maya??

Hi,
this process may take more than hour , and we can use paper and pencil to get this in very fast way and sometimes i dont need to draw my poses i just go and block my animation and maybe i use some refrence or record my self.
But my problem here is i read in alot of places that animators use this technique in advanced animation... and when i tried to do my animation on flipbook i just get bored and feel like i am wasting my time. just didnot feel that i got a benefit from that.

SO AM I WRONG ?????
AM i didnot try enough time to grasp its benefit ?? consedring that i am very bad in drawing...

Old 05-04-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
NaughtyNathan
HighEnd3D deserter

Naughty Nathan
Technical Artist
Sony SCEE Liverpool
Manchester, United Kingdom

I think you've answered your own question. Animators who use flipbook are likely professional animators who have come from a traditional background and are far more used to drawing 2d animation than using Maya or whatever 3D app.

If you are no good at drawing you're not going to get much out of flipbook. Its pointless to try to emulate someone elses working practices that they have developed due to their experience or specific talent if you don't possess either of those self same things.

just do your animation directly in Maya if that is what gives you your best results. You'll improve just by doing this a lot, not by copying how someone else does it.

:nathaN

Old 05-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
eathquaketry
Frequenter
portfolio
Jonney Pickham Shreded
freelance
France

ya, you are definitely right BUT every one of us try to develop his techniques and Richard williams talked about drawing alot and as i told i am horrible in drawing but i can animate without any drawings at all my be acting and some refrence.
but i am asking this question in order to know that,
IS THIS TECHNIQUE IS USEFUL FOR US WHEN ANIMATING?? or it is just a matter of prefrences.
i didnot try it alot so i cant tell, but if anybody here used to use it sure he can tell me if i try to do this and spend my TIME on it, or just go on without it as i usually do and get good results.
thanx.........

Old 05-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Of course it is useful. You dont need to be a master draftsmen either. All you need is glorified stick figure drawings. It is much faster to draw a couple stick figures to test out your poses and rough timing as opposed to posing it in maya.

If you dont wanna do it that is fine as well, a lot of people get by fine not doing any 2d roughs. There is no set workflow in animation every animator finds what best works for them.

Also please do not post in ALL CAPS.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
NaughtyNathan
HighEnd3D deserter

Naughty Nathan
Technical Artist
Sony SCEE Liverpool
Manchester, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
...Also please do not post in ALL CAPS.

what if you WANT TO SHOUT?!?!?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #6
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaughtyNathan
what if you WANT TO SHOUT?!?!?

ONLY IF YOU TWIST FIRST!

Old 05-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #7
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Traditional animators, like myself, like using Flipbook because they find using it shortens the bridge between the two techniques. (If CG is "the second-language")

If you can't draw, Flipbook's biggest advantage is timing, especially with a dialogue/sound track driven scene.

Draw (even if it's crap) the 2 - 4 GOLDEN POSES (the story telling poses) that usually make up a typical shot/scene. You don't really have to bother with drawing every "Extreme" ("Keyframe" in 3D apps).

If you do choose to develop your flipbook animation, eg. doing more of the key poses, drawing a pose, then moving on to the next frame hitting ACCENTS, hitting the UP and DOWNs (on the head for example), should be your focus, nothing more.

Also, you will never be able to match the 3D model to your drawings and usually when a student animator attempts to use the drawings as definite guides, the CG character's poses are either positioned/manipulated/pushed too far or not far enough... So, once again, there's where Flipbook's biggest advantage is the timing.

You're not wasting time should you choose to use it and use it on a regular basis.... you'll get faster, therefore less bored. If you choose to just go for it in 3D, you're also not wasting your time, because you'll get faster at that.

My recommendation: Use Flipbook. But drawing for more than an hour? Waaaaayyyyy too long. It should take 10 minutes to draw and 10 minutes to adjust the timing.

Drawing is much faster than moving and rotating limbs in 3D and technical crap must not hinder your thoughts in such an early phase of a scene. Load your dialogue track. Draw the 2, 3 or 4 Golden Poses only. Shift the drawings so they land on their mark on the x-sheet.
Hide that original layer, do a brand new set of possible Golden Poses. Show the Director. Pick a layer to go with, mix and match if necessary. Load Maya. Load the sound track. Use the flipbook drawings' poses as a ROUGH GUIDE and do your thing to the 3D character. Your timing is all figured out but adjust a frame or two as necessary.

Bob's your uncle.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:24 AM   #8
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I ended up using grease pencil mel in maya over flipbook.

How I wish we had a REAL grease pencil tool in maya. Hell even blender has a kickass one now. But sadly even though I was in like 5 betas for maya and kept asking for it over and over it will probably never happen. For some reason the main animation tools in the industry are very resistant for adding tools that help with animation. :(

Old 05-06-2010, 03:33 AM   #9
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

Was the Grease Pencil script ever recompiled for later versions of Maya?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #10
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglybagelface
Was the Grease Pencil script ever recompiled for later versions of Maya?

I am using the one Jason Schleiffer did. Is there another one?

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #11
egglybagelface
Maya Sloth
portfolio
eggly bagelface
Sydney, AU

There's no 32bit version for 2009

Also, I don't understand why Autodesk (for example) don't just take all the free scripts available (then maybe pay their writers a small fee), make them rock solid and implement them into the software? They can't use the excuse "well... there are scripts out there, people can just download them and so we don't have to do it...."

Last edited by egglybagelface : 05-06-2010 at 04:40 AM.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:25 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread