Glamour, Marta Dahlig (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2010   #1
Glamour, Marta Dahlig (2D)

Title: Glamour
Name: Marta Dahlig
Software: Painter, Photoshop

This is an image made for ImagineFX issue 54, Painter vs Photoshop review article.

Being a bit bored with painting women in dresses, I wanted to make something slightly self-ironic for a change. I don't think I've ever had as much fun painting anything. :) The trash and chicken took quite a bit of googled reference. Especially the newspapers were hell to get right. link

Completed in Painter X, Painter 7, and Photoshop CS. If you're interested in the closeups, they're available here:

Also, here's some WIPs for anyone who's interested (don't mind the super messy color layout)

Old 04 April 2010   #2
hi marta..though im a new comer in this field...but its seems everything below the face is beautiful..but the face has some issues...its too flat..perspective s wrong and also..the proportion of the l-eye the r-eye..idont know..some weirdness...any ways wait 4 more comments..keep inspiring

Old 04 April 2010   #3
Hi Marta,

I just wanted to say I'm a big fan of your work. I'm always on the lookout for your tutorials in ImagineFX (I'm a subscriber).

I really like your art style. I think your paintings of women are truly wonderful. And this piece is another example.

I struggle painting women but I'm trying to improve. Most of my work is men or monsters.

PS I have trouble blending colours eg skin tones in Photoshop, would you have any advice? I remember reading about using the smudge tool and a low opacity colour but I found the results weren't very good. Personally I prefer Painter, I find it more user friendly but I notice most professional artists use Photoshop for some reason.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by Silencer9 : 04 April 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Old 04 April 2010   #4
Lol oh man this pic is great. I love that the more I stare at it the more there is to see. The cardboard box dress is definitely my favorite part. Very well done, congratulations.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 04 April 2010   #5
Wonderful work as usual Marta, I love the trash dress idea and the rubbish in her hair, this is such a clever image! Beautiful work on the lighting as well. Cheers!!!
It's 11:59PM, midnight is coming.

Old 04 April 2010   #6
Hello Marta,

Beautiful painting.
I like your idea and realization.
The 'dress' and all other 'accessories' are great and detailed. I love your work.
Only one question I have: as WIP shows in the begging you had different expression for the face, but you changed it later on... I wonder if I'm right and you did it to emphasize arrogance of the 'glamour people'?

Hope to see more of such interesting paintings from you in near future

Old 04 April 2010   #7
Wonderful work and idea ...

Ze Blog

Steampunk
Uplift Universe
Strange Behavior

Old 04 April 2010   #8
Thumbs up

Way to make trash look fashionable. I especially enjoy the hair. Need a little more work on skin tones and proportions. Her arm is a little large and out of proportion, and I can tell the brush strokes too well. It's something that just takes more practice. Keep it up though. I like this marble feel and use of nuetral tones. Nice work.

Old 04 April 2010   #9
very nice!!

Old 04 April 2010   #10
Smile

This is fantastic because it's not at all what it first appears to be. I love it when a painting surprises me.

Annie

Old 04 April 2010   #11
Thumbs up

Oh, this is amazing, I did not even realize what her dress was made of at first: because of her queenly attitude I love the concept here, beautiful execution too!

Old 04 April 2010   #12
I looked at this image before even seeing who posted it and thought "This reminds me of Marta's style" and I was happily surprised to see it was indeed Marta! Beautiful work as always. Love the hair and especially that you paint such interesting and untraditionally beautiful faces.

Old 04 April 2010   #13
taking the problems of anatomy, like a lot of face and hair in particular.
good work

Old 04 April 2010   #14
Nice iconic image. Besides the crazy costumes construction, the girls look also transmits a flash of madness. Beautiful and intriguing. Excellent!

Old 04 April 2010   #15
Hi Marta! Your art is very inspiring, nice to see a new work from you. The idea is great, but...it seems to me like this isn't your work...Sorry...I mean it looks more like a sketch than like a finished painting. No depth in colors, background is empty, face is a bit twisted...I just can't put this work on a par with other your brilliant paintings such as "Judith" or "The Oracle". This doesn't look like you..
Anyway please don't be angry on me, this is only my opinion, you are a wonderful artist and I'll follow your art!Keep up the great work!)))

Thread Closed share thread