SMC 41 (4-20 to 5-4)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2010
SMC 41 (4-20 to 5-4)

Quote: - The speed modelling challenges are open to everybody.
- In every challenge you will get a list of items. Pick one and try to model it as fast as possible. If you want, you can do all of them.
- Do not exceed the time limit of the challenge. If you're out of time and still haven't finished, post the unfinished model.
- If you finish before the time limit, spend the remaining time on refining and adding details to your model.
- Focus on modelling. Shading, lightning and "proper" rendering are optional (and thus not limited by time).
- Take as much time for reference hunting as you need.
- When posting your model make sure you post a wireframe of your model. (try to do more then one view of the model).
- You can do any challenge you want. The challenges are not closed when the SMC passes. If you fancy an older challenge, do that.
- For the concept items you have to create your own designs. If possible post the design images as well.

Items (2h time limit)

- bull,
- bonsai tree,
- footbridge,
- stapler,
- old typewriter,
- butterfly,
- unicycle,
- Eiffel tower,
- parking meter,
- teapot (max users no cheating! )

Concept items (3h time limit) - design it yourself!

- fence,
- sofa,
- shield,
- body armor,
- car.

Happy modelling!

04 April 2010
Teapot, 30 minutes.

Colors became a little messed up in the render.
Sorry about that. And yea the lid is not solid, changed my mind late in the render process.

Tried another render, made things worse lol.

Wireframe, clay render.

Experimental, mostly threshold setting in Gimp.

Last edited by whom : 04 April 2010 at 08:21 PM.

04 April 2010
How did you do that wireframe image? Did you just extrude the faces or something?

04 April 2010
Teapot - 45mins
Haven't done anything in months, so it took a while to shake off the rust and find hotkeys.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by lordofarda: How did you do that wireframe image? Did you just extrude the faces or something?

I assume you are familiar with Blender?
It is solid wireframe in scripts, go to Mesh (in edit mode) then scripts and then choose solid wireframe. Only works in low poly for me though, doesn't handle sub division that well.
I tried that on the scissor, if you remember in the previous session....?

hope that helps.

04 April 2010
Love the teapots

04 April 2010
Butterfly - 1 hour for mesh, took the easy way out and used alphamap for wings.

04 April 2010
Revon, you inspired me to try the butterfly too.

I messed up the colors this time too, might be the gamma.
Snif, gotta check the settings...

Butterfly, 1 hour.
The body was rather quick like 30 minutes, had problems with the wings though. Couldn't understand the anatomy of the wings and the parts where it attaches to the body. Would need better close up's if I were to model the wings.
This butterfly is from two separate butterflies, one was the body and another source the wings.
Made my own super butterfly.

Light setting

Wireframe

04 April 2010
Tried with photon mapping but hmm I think I need bigger resolutions to be able to get better colors.
I will work more on this for the next session.

Photonmapping with color mapping.... if you call it that?

04 April 2010
Argh, 1,5h into making a "bull" and mesh bugged out during first save...
Oh well, it wasn't looking anything like a bull anyways, more like a dog with big nostrils and stubby legs. At least I learned few things about modeling organic stuff, seems like Zbrush-esque style of using two spheres as starting point for body worked pretty well in giving good edgeflow around the legs.

04 April 2010
Bonsai tree, 1.30 hours.

Really mem consuming this... I tried with particles but couldn't add more particles because the rendering really became problematic.
Some different renders, maybe I should only go with internal render next time lol.

Yafaray render

Internal 2.5 alpha 2 render

Greyscale and some parts wire.

04 April 2010
Thumbs up 1 hour attempt on the typewriter.

Originally Posted by Revon: Argh, 1,5h into making a "bull" and mesh bugged out during first save...
Oh well, it wasn't looking anything like a bull anyways, more like a dog with big nostrils and stubby legs. At least I learned few things about modeling organic stuff, seems like Zbrush-esque style of using two spheres as starting point for body worked pretty well in giving good edgeflow around the legs.

Oh boy, I feel your pain, I've done that before. Just get over it and remember that this is just practise and not all things turn out right. ^_^

Got uni deadlines so not much from me recently but though I'd warm-up with a quick 1 hours attempt on the typewriter.

04 April 2010
Sofa - 1h 30min
I was working on making seats for '67 Corvette when I thought about using them for SMC Sofa.
It took some time since the first priority was getting basic geometry proportionally correct, before exporting over to another project file. But it was fun to take eyes off reference photos and do whatever popped into my head.

Last edited by Revon : 04 April 2010 at 07:28 PM.

04 April 2010
Originally Posted by gdsworld: Oh boy, I feel your pain, I've done that before. Just get over it and remember that this is just practise and not all things turn out right. ^_^

Got uni deadlines so not much from me recently but though I'd warm-up with a quick 1 hours attempt on the typewriter.

Very nice.

04 April 2010
I believe you have my stapler

it had to be done

45 minutes

http://www.shonmitchell.com/images/StaplerScreens.jpg

Thread Closed share thread