why if I render premult background color affects the comp?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2010
why if I render premult background color affects the comp?

why if I render premult alpha background color affects the comp? For example the background color of the background where the alpha equals 0 is blue, and the alpha there is 0. Why it's not 0 in the end? Shouldn't it be scaled down to 0? If we mult any color by 0, it's 0. Why does the opposite happens?

Last edited by mister3d : 03 March 2010 at 01:37 PM.

03 March 2010
Which file format you are saving to?

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by scrimski: Which file format you are saving to?

it's open EXR. Butit's the same with tif. It's simply how it behaves. But why?

Last edited by mister3d : 03 March 2010 at 02:16 PM.

03 March 2010
Maybe the reason is default additive merge mode in fusion? I read from manual it "just adds pixels together if images are premutiplied".

Last edited by mister3d : 03 March 2010 at 01:06 AM.

03 March 2010
mainly its because fusion (and nearly every other comp app) expects that you premult against black.

if you do a premult against an other color you will get that nasty edges like in your other picture.

there is a macro on vfxpedia which can also do a premult against any color (but vfxpedia is currently down)

for the first start check the 'premult' option in the loader

03 March 2010
Originally Posted by pingking: mainly its because fusion (and nearly every other comp app) expects that you premult against black.

if you do a premult against an other color you will get that nasty edges like in your other picture.

there is a macro on vfxpedia which can also do a premult against any color (but vfxpedia is currently down)

for the first start check the 'premult' option in the loader

Thank you. But if I have a premult image, should I check "Post-Multiply By Alpha"? I though not, as it's already multiplied, so will result in double mult. But if I check this box, the background becomes transparent in merging.

03 March 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread