What is good for about 800 dollars worth CPU?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
What is good for about 800 dollars worth CPU?

My computer is great but it's really old (3 yrs) and I need to update my hardware (only my cpu).

The question is what is the best CPU choice for a 3d animator with about 800 dollars budget?

So far I have these on my "rough" list.
- firewire
- dvdrom
- zip disk
- floppy
- Windows XP
- maybe 6 usb ports
- motherboard???
- video card???

09 September 2003
Can you post your hardware that you would like to use with the new cpu? Motherboard, ram, vid card etc.
[COLOR=orange-red] My Cinema 4D Resource site[/COLOR]

09 September 2003
for $500 I got a new asus mb with all the bells and whistles (A7N8X), 1gb or Kingston Hyper-X ram, an AMD 2500+ (that overclocks easily to a 3200), and a nice chieftec case. To that I would add the Geforce 4 TI 4200 128mb, dvd drive, floppy, and zip and you are set. The MB already has firewire and 6 usb. I'd throw in the Western Digital 80gb SE drive too.

09 September 2003
Emberghost, post my hardware? I am not sure extactly what this means.

lowdown, sounds like a good deal.. "500 dollars" Did you order online or went to local store (best buy etc)?

Also I would like to hook up TV to my compputer like my old computer can with ati video card.

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by drawallday
Emberghost, post my hardware? I am not sure extactly what this means.

IM sorry, what I mean is do you want to replace an existing processor with an old one? If this is true what other hardware do you have in that computer. Because say you had an old p4 (1.5 ghz with old motherboard.) And you wanted to replace it with 2 new spiffy dual athlons. Well for one a single cpu motherboard can't use dual processors, as well as a p4 motherboard can't use AMD chips.

But if you are building a new computer I like lowdowns suggestion, it is pretty similar to my setup but i have a 2700, instead of a barton 2500. But the reason to get these low/mid range things is because they all overclock to things practically worth twice as much.

But are you interested in overclocking at all? Or do you just want to get some big bang for your buck without overclocking?

09 September 2003
I am thinking about getting a completely new CPU (computer only, not monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc..)

My old one will be my "backup" computer.

09 September 2003
I believe by the CPU drawallday means the entire machine - case, motherboard, RAM, CPU and the whole thing.

If you are on such a tight budget you may try building one yourelf. Your next best option is a local computer store (if you know one you can trust) that will put a cheap machine together for you. I don't know of a decent manufacturer that will build a good machine for under $1000.

Look at this thread for some guidelines, although lowdown's suggestion is good too:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85706

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by drawallday
I am thinking about getting a completely new CPU (computer only, not monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc..)

My old one will be my "backup" computer.

CPU = "Central Processing Unit". The CPU is the main processing chip that sits on the motherboard within a computer.

What you want is a new computer, or "box". The CPU is only a small part of that.

We have ourselves a small misunderstanding of terms, friends. Not uncommon, but frustrating when speccing systems.

09 September 2003
elvis, yes I agree it's frustrating. Thanks everyone for straightening it out for me

09 September 2003
sorry to go off the subject,

Lowdown how do you like your new processor? you said you got the amd 2500. i just ordered a new MOBOtoday these are the parts i ordered

athlon xp 2.17 GHz (AMD 2700++
Asus Motherboard for AMD Athlon XP/Duron Processors, Model# A7N8X
and i ordered a new case for my pc.

the total for everything was

430 with shipping from www.newegg.com

anyway that is my parts i ordered, i was curious what you think of your processors performance. i had a intel 4 2.2ghz , i accidently blew up my computer. so i had to get new parts. i was curious if you see a big improvement on your new processor, im hoping to get nice jump on mine.

09 September 2003
Re: What is good for about 800 dollars worth CPU?

Asus A7N8X nForce2 126.00

Athlon XP2500 83.00

1gb PC3200 ram, price varies, but dirt cheap.

09 September 2003
yah, computer parts are SO cheap these days SO SO SO Cheap. i remember when i was like 12 my dad got his first pc it cost 5000 dollars i wish i had that thing right now. i would love to see the specs on it. all i remember is NOTHING would work on it. evertytime i got a game i had to install in dos...and i was 12? so it rarley worked.

09 September 2003
Aww the good'ol days. But I wouldn't necessarily call ram dirt-cheap. I mean as a student I can't just whip out $200+ for a gig of quality ram

OT - Now taking donations

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Emberghost
Aww the good'ol days. But I wouldn't necessarily call ram dirt-cheap. I mean as a student I can't just whip out $200+ for a gig of quality ram

geez, where are you buying ram that costs so much?

Kingston, nice and reliable with Lifetime warranty, about 70.00 for a 512mb. That makes about 150.00 total for 1gb.

09 September 2003
IM talkin about some nice 3200/3500 ram with some nice timings, not value ram. Mainly to OC.

Thread Closed share thread