B-Movie Entry: Dane Kirkland

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2010
B-Movie Entry: Dane Kirkland

Dane Kirkland is entered in the "B-Movie" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Work In Progress: Freaks Scale Ref.

02 February 2010
Hello!

Very excited for this challenge, will be uploading images and details soon!

Last edited by dkirkland : 02 February 2010 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Posted wrong thing.

02 February 2010
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Storyboard

Hey there everyone!

This is my very first CG Challenge so I'm very excited for it! I've been lurking around this challenge for about a month now contemplating whether or not I was going to enter. Also whether or not to enter the image or video category; I figured why not the video! A fantastic excuse to make something *hopefully* cool.

The animation that I will be making for the challenge is title 'FreakShow'. It will run for roughly a minute. I threw around a few different ideas before I landed on this one;

If there was the opportunity for a longer story (tv series or film) it would involve the tales of the main attractions of a Carnival 'Freakshow' - The Bearded Lady etc, how they came to be at the carnival and their lives there. However for this challenge I needed to streamline the storyline, to something short and punchy! So basically what my animation will be doing is acting as a trailer for the larger story and will showcase the Carnival environment and the Freaks themselves.

I have 2 alternate sequences to introduce the characters, I am leaning towards the 2nd. The 1st is pretty standard introduction - one after another in a ring, whereas the 2nd displays them in the Carnival environment (in their element) and collects them at the end.

It will involve 5(ish) Freaks and a number of Carnival Workers and background characters. Working on some character concepts at the moment - more on that very soon! For the environments I am wanting very basic shapes - keeping it simple, so that I may focus on texturing more than modelling

02 February 2010
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Character Concept

Concept art for the character of the Ringleader. To follow what I am trying to achieve with the texturing I am keeping the model relatively straightforward - basic shapes. Reference points for the texturing style include;

- Claymation
- Star Wars Clone Wars TV Series

02 February 2010
Work In Progress: WIP - Ringleader Model

Software: Maya

I have been working on the base model for the Ringleader character today, I'm content with where it is at so I am moving onto a more detailed (smoothed) version. I ditched the hands that were present in the concept image because when I began modelling them I really felt that they unbalanced the character and ruined the structure that the main body had.

I've also been researching ways to create a decent clay shader in maya - slowly finding bits and peices, I've never made a shader before so it could be very interesting.

Play Video >>

02 February 2010
I really like the design for you character. it has a great shape to it. well done

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by wayofthepixel: I really like the design for you character. it has a great shape to it. well done

Thanks very much!

02 February 2010
Work In Progress: Ringleader Model (Mid)

Mid model of the Ringleader character. Body Mesh is at its final stage I think, there's not much more I can do there - but the coat needs some work. I think I will just remake it, I have decided to make it a vest rather than a jacket - looks a bit funkier. Shows a bit more of the base mesh which as I mentioned I am quite pleased with!

Really enjoying this challenge! I'm really enjoying getting back into 3D, haven't really touched it too much since 2006 so I'm learning heaps!

Play Video >>

02 February 2010
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Character Concept

Another character Concept!

This time it's the FreakShow's very own boy wonder - FishBoy!

The Ringleader concept was far more straightforward. I Had to decide whether or not it was going to be top-half fish or bottom-half. At the end of the day it was pretty obvious - the FishBoy needed a fish head!

02 February 2010
I like the expression on Fishboy's face. Good luck with your project!

02 February 2010
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Shape Study

Doing some general shape studies, coming up with variations of different shapes and sizes for the characters. Fun!

02 February 2010
Work In Progress: Ringleader Model (High)

Final model for the Ringleader character. Completely re-worked the vest, started back from scratch to give it a better form that rolled with the body. I did think of leaving it a bit rougher than the main body (similar to the version of the model) but that looked unbalanced and to be quite honest, hideous.

I also changed the eyes from the original concept, the other eyes looked a bit creepier than I was hoping for and didn't sit well with the rest of the character.

So this model is now ready to be UV Mapped and textured. Still researching the clay shader - will update something more specific on that when I've actually gotten somewhere with it.

Play Video >>

02 February 2010
Originally Posted by Alexsani: I like the expression on Fishboy's face. Good luck with your project!

Thanks! I was pretty happy with it in the end!

02 February 2010
Work In Progress: Fishboy Model (Low)

Base model for Fishboy!

Still working on his dorsal fin.. I'm not quite sure what shape I'll be making it but I don't quite like it at the moment. Might make it thicker? Basically I'd like it a little less like a mowhawk.

Play Video >>

02 February 2010
Storyboards / pre-visualization: Character Concept Development - Fishboy

Have been sorting out Fishboy's "hair" (dorsal fin) before I take the modelling further. I have settled on one that I like to think of as the 'backwards alfalfa' (*think Little Rascals).

I studied a bunch of different fin shapes and forms via google, also had a quick look at Finding Nemo to see how they differentiated between the fin shapes of the younger and older fish. I wanted to keep the fin younger - think under 10 year old kid as opposed to a teenager. As the concept shows - the fin is wider and I'm not even sure it will be as high as is shown in the concept. We'll see how it looks on the model.

Thread Closed share thread