Updates a plenty [Nudity]

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2010
How I got Better

Hi,

I'm new here. 21 years old, finishing up my Film Production degree (why? I dunno) at NYU. Trying to branch out, so I'm gonna document some of my progress for you guys. Hopefully I can keep up daily updates. C&C always much appreciated.

Anatomy practice from the head:

Last edited by isso09 : 11 November 2010 at 11:53 AM.

02 February 2010
Past two days' work. I also do a lot of sketching in my physical sketchbookie, but I don't feel like scanning :S.

Posemaniacs 1 min each:

Poses from imagination ~2 hours total:

Hogarth studies ~1 hour total:

02 February 2010
Please enjoy these and if you are so inclined, tell me what is wrong with the female face. Thanks!

Hogey:

Imagination 10 mins:

Posemaniacs 1mins::

I'm not exactly sure:

And now, Life drawing:

Last edited by isso09 : 02 February 2010 at 12:15 AM.

02 February 2010
Finally finished my "sketch." I started this exactly a month ago and spent about 5 hours on it ironing out the composition and rendering. I believe it's the first painting where the colours online actually look better than the original. Anyway, I've learned a ton, main point being not to jump into colour right away. Even Cole didn't do that. And I probably should have used reference too...

And the Hoe-Girth studies for today. Trying out different brushes. Soft/hard combination seems to work much better than just hard. I've learned so much from doing these digitally, it's not even funny.

02 February 2010
I'm a firm believer in updating, even if it's small so here's another portrait of my roommate. Self portrait coming tomorrow.... get ready.

02 February 2010
It's either my face or my painting skills. Either way, I'm not pleased with the results.
Self-Portrait ~ 1 hour.

The following pages of the Hogarth Dynamic Anatomy book are taken up by Hogarth's own prtraits in various mediums, which I don't really see the point of copying. So I'm just gonna do portraits of my own:

The first one was way over-rendered, which I think I fixed in the second one. #2 took like 30 minutes.

Imagination face for the win:

02 February 2010
Hi!
Nice sb start!
You've got a good value range overall. Your forms tend to become flat within the shadow areas though (eg the last SP is a good examle).

Great gestures!

02 February 2010
NR43: Thanks dude! You're right, I really need to work on reflect light in my form shadows.

It's been really tough the past couple of days. Demon's Souls grabbed a hold of me and wouldn't let go. I don't know if I'll be able to quit altogether but I'll try. As a result, I have a bunch of drawings backed up, but I will hopefully use this congestion to gain momentum and update every day for the remainder of the week.

Also I started a bunch of grayscale imagination paintings, which I think you will like.

More heads. I think the problem with these studies is that I forget to zoom out when I do em. USE YOUR ZOOM TOOL, KIDS!

02 February 2010
I decided to be a good person from now on. It's the more efficient thing to do. This is why my life drawing has improved so much. Unfortunately I couldn't make the wednesday because of the snow day, in honour of which I decided to visit my good friend Stephen Colbert and ask him a question before the show. Watch for me when the camera pans in the beginning of last wednesday's show. I'm in the top left section of the audience.
Chronologically:
10:

10:

20:

10:

20:

20:

02 February 2010
W wow Im loving your stuff, you capture so much with seemingly little effort, keep it up and keep posting!!

02 February 2010
Outlawstar8489: Thanks man! That's what I'm trying to learn how to do.

Wow, I really failed at that updating every day. Sorry everyone.
Sometimes when I update I feel like Jon from Garfield Minus Garfield. I guess most people do.

I was gonna upload all my recent studies and a new SP, but it turns out I don't have all of them here. Thus you just get the life drawings from wednesday. I forgot that I was supposed to focus on the face, so you get the whole body. Please like them. They need your support.
10:

10:

10:

20:

20:

02 February 2010
The imagination faces got better (or maybe just different) from my two trips to the MET. I think they did me well.

Also came up with a definitive schedule for myself, that I will probably fail to follow anyway. Two pages of Hograth a day, and one imagination sketch per page. Still life on mondays (with the exception of today). Self-portraits on Fridays. Who knows what on the weekend. If I have time from all the parties. WOOOOO!

Going back to the Hoe-girth. Imagination sketch on the side.

Imaginaaaaaaaaation:

And self-portrait #5, Woot:

Also I got a little commission to do the cover of the esteemed Dalhousie University Historical Society Journal. Pencils were requested, and were very time-consuming. On the other hand, I've got great line art now, so I may colour it later. ENJOY!

02 February 2010
Digital life drawing... how do you do that? On a laptop+ wacom?
Man if I would do such a thing at my life drawing class, everyone's eyes would pop out LOL

Really enjoying your updates and your determinations is really motivating!
So thanks for sharing and keep doing that!

02 February 2010
Wow, you really have a knack for getting across a sense of light, it really feels like your characters are subject to a lightlource, and you portraits here are wonderful, considering they are from your imagination too, great stuff!!

02 February 2010
NR43: Yeah, man. I get a lot of attention at my life drawing class for doing that. Can't complain.

Outlawstar8489: Thanks man! I'm trying really hard to bridge the gap between my studies and imagination work.

More Hogarth on the neck. Torso is next. Going for two days in a row of updates. wooo!
(The more rendered ones are from imagination)

It's funny, usually some artist gets good, displays a lot of finished work and gathers up a following who want to see his process, so he/she starts a sketchbook. I'm doing the opposite of that.

Thread Closed share thread