Challenges issues for Aug/Sept 2003 resolved here

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2003   #1
Challenges issues for Aug/Sept 2003 resolved here

go for it

Old 08 August 2003   #2
First question!

Is it supposed to or can it be "cartoony" like Tim Burton style or is the goal photoreal?

Old 08 August 2003   #3
Hello...

Well, the style can be 'fantastic' ala Tim Burton, but the end result must look photoreal... especially since your work will be composited onto a live-action plate.

Good luck everyone.

Old 08 August 2003   #4
So let me get this straight? What our video will be composed of is a 5-20 sec. shot showing "things" turning into a carnival. That's it?

I don't mean to say that's easy, cause it won't be, but that's pretty much it, right?

marvin

Old 08 August 2003   #5
Yep...

Old 08 August 2003   #6
Just emphasizing...

Originally posted by A.Alvarez
...the end result must look photoreal... especially since your work will be composited onto a live-action plate.

Just making sure everyone caught this. We're to composite the 3D elements into a PHOTO PLATE, which if I read this right can be a single shot or a few different shots photocomposited into one for our use.

Correct me if I'm wrong... not sure if I'll have time for this one but I'm sure gonna try!

-Bischofftep

Old 08 August 2003   #7
Just to go with Bischofftep ..this means No video this time? right? Just Photo?

I remember one of the first rules that was, No teaming up...cuz hehe it seems that all the people who won lately were teams...

I'd like these things to be clear.

Thank you.
Xavier.

Old 08 August 2003   #8
about that photoplate...

about that photoplate...

how much freedome do we have to mess with that plate? my mind is running wild with ideas...

1. what are the limitations for editing the BG plate?

2. can it only be a still or can it be a live action background? ex, so leaves can be blowing in the background and such...

3. can it only be a photo of a real forest? or can it be a constructed miniature created with real materials? (that would be fun)

this is my first chance to try some "live action magic" with my animation so I just wanted to confirm the guidlines befor I go off the deep end... this has the potential to be really crazy... hope we can be as creative as possible.

Old 08 August 2003   #9
Only 5 ft. big?

So let me see if I have this right...

the 10 ships are 5 feet long... and they unfold into a carnival.

A carnival for gnome sized people? Or do these ships fold out and transform Tex Avery style into human sized attractions?

If they transform from tiny to huge, then we would have to scout or create a pretty good clearing for the scene to take place. How much detail would a 5 foot ship hold in contrast to such a huge background plate?

CW

Old 08 August 2003   #10
Re: Only 5 ft. big?

Originally posted by Chris_Wallace
So let me see if I have this right...
A carnival for gnome sized people? Or do these ships fold out and transform Tex Avery style into human sized attractions?

Indeed... something like that.

As far as the BG plate, you can edit it all you like, as long as the end result is photographic.

Can you shoot video? If you want to, but that will make the process of retouching much more difficult.

Can it be a miniature? Sure, again if it looks photographic... to the point that we can't tell that it was a miniature.

Old 08 August 2003   #11
awesome

this is so great...

Old 08 August 2003   #12
What About teamin up mister Alvarez. It seems that there is no more rule about this...

The Subject is really inspiring thank you very much for putting such nice Challenges since the beginning

xavier.

Old 08 August 2003   #13
glad that you like it... I find it much easier to work on a project if there is a clear 'story'.

In regards to teams, that is fine with me.

Old 08 August 2003   #14
Re: Re: Only 5 ft. big?

Originally posted by A.Alvarez
Indeed... something like that.

As far as the BG plate, you can edit it all you like, as long as the end result is photographic.

Can you shoot video? If you want to, but that will make the process of retouching much more difficult.

Can it be a miniature? Sure, again if it looks photographic... to the point that we can't tell that it was a miniature.

Like what? This carnivle is for :

A) gnome sized people

B) The ships fold out for regular humans?

CW

Old 08 August 2003   #15
It is a normal sized carnival

share thread