Falloff: Distance Blend: World XYZ-Axis (Broken / Alternatives?)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2010

My goal is to create a world-coordinate render-element in 3DSMax/VRay. Only piece of the puzzle I'm missing is a gradient-like texture that increases/decreases in value along a world-coordinate axis.

Ideally this should be achieved using 3 falloff maps added together, with the falloff maps set....

Falloff Type: Distance Blend
Falloff Direction: World x/Y/Z-Axis.
Extrapolate: Checked

However in all my tests (in VRAY, Mental Ray, and scanline), the "Distance Blend" - "World XYZ-Axis" always returns a solid color (ex: 1.1999). Same bug seems to exist in "Object XYZ-Axis," however Camera XYZ works perfectly.

I can achieve this effect easily in Maya using the "Sampler Info" node's "point-World" mapped to a VRay_ExtraTex. Sending the EXR to nuke, I can use this WorldCordinate pass to create 3D masks & lighting effects.

Goal:

• Scene (3Ds Max 2009, Mental Ray for maximum compatibility...just edit the falloff map)
  • Example EXR (rendered from Maya)

Last edited by PhantomDesign : 01 January 2010 at 08:04 PM.

01 January 2010
You could try John Burnett's InfoTexture Map. I have no idea what is going on with distance blend falloff.

-Eric

01 January 2010
Thanks for the link.... That plugin's "Object bounding box" gets me close, however my objects/scenes made of many parts will look like a mess & be difficult to use in compositing. One based on world coordinates is what I need the most.

A similar plugin may do the trick...
---------------------
Object Bounding Box....

(Need a way to have the spheres/boxes a continuous map like the image in my previous post....without attaching the objects)

Last edited by PhantomDesign : 01 January 2010 at 07:04 PM.

01 January 2010
The only other thing I can think of is see if David Baker or Splutterfish can make the BlurBeta Distance_Blender plugin creatable. Right now it is set to load only if you install the BlurBeta plugins. However, I have no idea if the issue exists in the original code or in the Autodesk modified code.

-Eric

01 January 2010
BerconGradient has a built in distance falloff which seems to work fine here for all cases.

01 January 2010
It can also be done with mental ray using this method, which should work in all mental ray render engines:
Quote: Add a "mental ray" material
In the "Surface" slot add the XYZ Generator shader
Set itís CoordinateSystem to 3
Render to float ("Render" dialog, "Renderer" tab, "Framebuffer Type: Floating Point")
Output to EXR, making sure no gamma curve is applied to your output.
Also, make sure you disable your Final Gather (and not sure why you are nesting your stuff in a glow material as that will alter the values). If you want to scale the values down lower the tiling in the XYZ Generator, ie 1.0 RGB value = 100 world units would be tiling of .01.

-Eric

01 January 2010
BerconGradient does exactly what I need to do (not to mention other useful maps). I haven't been able to test it VRAY compatibility yet because his website was down when I got home last night. I'll let you know how it works out & post some images.

MaxFile Download
Requirements: 3dsMax2009+, Bercon Gradient

Last edited by PhantomDesign : 01 January 2010 at 04:37 PM.

01 January 2010
Update: Works perfectly with VRAY-ExtraTex as well, need to adjust the parameters to reduce the "stepping" effect, but that's not a big deal. Two compositing (Nuke) examples....

Fog based on ZDEPTH & World Coordinates

Spherical 3D mask with falloff slicing through scene

Last edited by PhantomDesign : 01 January 2010 at 07:46 AM.

01 January 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread