a long chain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2003   #1
a long chain

ok the shot calls for a high angle view down a chain that is dangling from 150 feet up. At the end of the chain is a man ,approx 250 lbs. Thats 45 meters and 113 kg for you others. Doesn't really matter, but it gives you a concept.

I need to simulate this chains motion while its anchor point (unseen) shakes around a few inches. Tried a rigid body setup but it was immensly slow with just 30 rigid constraints. Tried some things to improve performance but it just resulted in wrong calculations. Then I tried a soft body setup on a spline with springs. Springs just are too.... springy. The chain whips around good but it bounces up slightly.

Any genius ideas?

Old 08 August 2003   #2
Make your chain and "button" each link to a cloth. Hide the cloth object and run the simulation.

I haven't ever tried it, but i have seen it suggested here before.

Old 08 August 2003   #3
I would Pin constrain the together. And use a Nail constrain for the highest chain link.

:: Galactor ::

Old 01 January 2006   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread