command line render w/ multiple mayas installed

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2009
command line render w/ multiple mayas installed

hello.

i have two machines that each have multiple versions of maya installed -- 2008 & 2009. when batch rendering from the command line, one machine opens maya batch 2008 and the other 2009... despite using the same scene file on each machine.

from the command prompt, is there a way to specify which version of maya batch i'd like to run?

thanks in advance.

bot

12 December 2009
what OS are you using?

12 December 2009
hi cgbeige. both machines are running win xp 32 bit.

12 December 2009
sorry - I only know how to specify the PATH for OS X

12 December 2009
no problem, thanks for the reply -- how do you accomplish it in osx? is it an additinoal flag in the render command? perhaps it is similar and could orient me in the right direction...

aside from from the obvious terminal vs cmndPrompt, i believe many of the flags are the same, but i could be mistaken about that.

12 December 2009
on OS X, you specify the Render path by adding this line to ~/.bash_profile

PATH=$PATH:/Applications/Autodesk/maya2010/Maya.app/Contents/bin/

you probably have a similar setting file but have the 2008 version referenced. Otherwise, you could just specify the full path for the Render command and add the command line options after that.

12 December 2009
In Windows, you need to set your Environment Variable paths to get Maya to behave with multiple versions.

Control Panel -> System -> Advanced. Environment Variables are on the bottom. I'm in Win7 so they might be somewhere else in the System panel, but once you're there you can follow along and fix your problem with this little tutorial:

Maya Environment Variables

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

12 December 2009
infernalDarkness,

that got it -- thanks much for the help... cgbeige, you as well!

bot

12 December 2009
infernalDarkness,

apparently, i did not fix the problem entirely... by removing/substituting one of the install locations from the "Path" environment variable in the system properties, i was able to launch one version or the other. however, switching this value everytime i'd like to render from a different version is a bit cumbersome...

ideally, i'd like to be able to use the standard "render" command from the command line and have the system launch and render with whichever version of maya the scene was created in -- in my case 2008 & 2009. is this possible?

i can get it to work by replacing the "render" command with the absolute path to the render.exe command for each version, but again, this is not an ideal solution...

any thoughts?

also, i don't totally understand the difference between the "Path" and "MAYA_APP_DIR" system variables -- are they essentially the same?

12 December 2009
If you're referring to my PATH reference - that's for OS X/Linux.

12 December 2009
hi again cgbeige,

thanks once more for your response -- i understand your reference to the PATH setting/variable was for linux/osx. there's a similar setting/variable for windows that essentially performs the same function.

following your previous advice and "... specifying the full path for the Render command and add the command line options after that..." effectively solves the problem.

however, it would be nice if i could use the standard "render" command and the appropriate version of maya batch would launch automatically...

for now, your solution works and i'll continue to use it until i can find my ideal solution.

12 December 2009
Can't you make a copy of the render file and rename it render8 under 2008, and copy of render file under 2009 and call it render9, then call render8 or render9 depending what you need?

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by Als: Can't you make a copy of the render file and rename it render8 under 2008, and copy of render file under 2009 and call it render9, then call render8 or render9 depending what you need?

Als

you could even create batch commands for each version of the renderer, and just edit them w/new scene names when you need to and run.

You could go balls to the wall with batch commands and make them interactive (inputting text during runtime), but that's another ballgame.

12 December 2009
so you can't fix this? how is it that it doesn't just use the PATH? I don't get it. Does Windows ignore the PATH setting and use the default Open With application?

12 December 2009
Originally Posted by Als: ... then call render8 or render9 depending what you need?...
Originally Posted by pix3lm0nk: you could even create batch commands for each version of the renderer,
I don't know as to why one would need to render with different versions of the renderer when the latest should render scenes from any versions but I'm just curious what's the flag or how do you guys specify the version of the batch renderer in a .bat file.

Thread Closed share thread