2010 License... how long does it take?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
2010 License... how long does it take?

Hi all,

about one week ago I paid for an SI2010 upgrade+subscription license and so far there is neither sight nor sound from Autodesk with a download link. Not even so much as an order confirmation e-mail.
My excellent reseller (XTFX) is doing all they can to help out, but apparently even they are not getting replies from Autodesk. So it's as if I just offloaded £1000+ into a black hole.

Waiting for a physical product to ship and arrive is understandable, but in this modern day and age setting up a digital account and providing a download link surely doesn't need to take anything more than one bussiness day?

Having just started on a new job that could potentially benefit from 2010's highly acclaimed optimizations, this waiting game is somewhat bothersome. It would be great if someone from the AD sales team could advise/assist.

Many thanks and sorry for the rant....

Old 11 November 2009   #2
You can download SP1 from autodesk.com/softimage2010-sp1.

If you haven't installed 2010 before, you should get a 30-day trial period.

Old 11 November 2009   #3
Thank you for your reply Stephen.
I'm still on v7.0.1, so the 2010 SP1 patch is of no avail unfortunately. The trial version is for non-commercial use only according to the download trial page. So that's a no-go too.

Perhaps I am a bit spoiled, but I don't see why it's taking a big corporation like AD so long to serve a customer?

Old 11 November 2009   #4
SP1 is a complete install, not a patch.

Old 11 November 2009   #5
Doh, how silly of me. You were correct ofcourse.
So I managed to downloaded and the install SP1 pretty smoothly. Thanks Stephen!

As for the licensing, what is the normal modus operandi after one has made payment? Does he/she get contacted eventually with an access code to the subscription center? If so, how long is this going to take. The trial only lasts for 30 days, I'd hate for it to run out while I wait.

I can't hide the fact that I find this process of zero communication regarding shipment of the final product rather awkward and customer unfriendly. I've bought software online from many different developers and publishers. Never had I to wait longer than an hour or so for the software to be up and running, licensed and registered on my computers.
I'm not trying to make a huge deal out of this as I am indeed now able to work (albeit with a trial version), but I am trying to understand what it is AD sales is doing between the time of purchase and x days into the future when I eventually receive my subscription center access and license codes. Why is this process taking so long for a well established software developer/publisher like Autodesk? And why is my reseller reporting they cannot get any licenses from Autodesk?

I hope you are able to answer some of these questions Stephen, or ideally expedite my purchase. Thank you for your time.

Originally Posted by xsisupport: SP1 is a complete install, not a patch.

Old 11 November 2009   #6
I'm afraid I don't know how long these upgrades usually takes. I wouldn't expect it to take so long, unless they had trouble confirming the old Softimage license. I'll see what I can find out.

Old 11 November 2009   #7
Thanks Stephen. I've sent you a Private Message with some further details.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread