combining UVs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
combining UVs

Hi

I've been working on a problem where i'm trying to combine to two sets of UVs (in an .obj). This seems simple in principle, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be coming out right.

Basically, i've got image1 and image2, which are both 1000 pixels wide. I have an .obj with UVs that work for image1 and an .obj with UVs that work for image2 - the textured objects come out correctly.

I want to combine image1 and image2 to make a 2000 pixel image, and in doing so, combine the two objs (they're really the same obj anyway, except the UVs are different, the verts are the same, so its really just like having two versions of the same obj with half textured correctly either way atm).

Since combining the texture images is literally just adding the second image to the end of the first, and that UVs are always between 0 and 1, i figured this would just be a scale thing. So i tried multiplying the UVs that work for image1 into 0.5 (since image1 is now half of the new combined image), to represent the first half of the 2k image, and did the same for image2 + 0.5, to get it in the second half. But this doesn't work.

I'm new to UVs so i don't know if i'm doing something obviously wrong.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Old 11 November 2009   #2
If you're doing it in a text editor, you might try a 3d editor instead, for WYSIWYG. This would be trivial to do in 3dsmax for example (import both, assign a UVWUnwrap modifier, edit the UVs, export each)

Old 11 November 2009   #3
Not really an option i'm afraid, this whole thing is scripted.

Old 11 November 2009   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread