Blender Displacement - Need Help Please!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
Blender Displacement - Need Help Please!

I have been searching for a good Newbie Tutorial on creating Displacement maps in Blender. I have found bits and pieces, but not a thorough tutorial. Does anyone know of a good tutorial explaining how to import a model and use a displacement map in Blender?

Old 11 November 2009   #2
if by "use a displacement map", you mean just applying a map to a mesh, use the displacement modifier..

Old 11 November 2009   #3
heres a quick 'demo' from matt ebb, hopefully it helps to shed some light on the displacement 'pipeline':
http://vimeo.com/4528144

its not a newbie tutorial, if you can even consider it a tutorial,
but coupled with all the info you can find in the blender wiki,
I think its quite helpful.

Old 11 November 2009   #4
Thanks Felix, I watched the video and it's a little too fuzzy to see much but I decifered some things from it. I already have a displacment map and I just want to apply it to my model.

Thanks dyf. I read the link you posted and I am reading what I can to learn this. I imported my mesh with UV's into Blender and applied a "displacement modifier". I can see my UV map (circled in red) but now I am stuck. What do I do to get my displacement map to show up on my object? I read that if the "modifier Texture Box" is left empty, then the displacement won't work, but since I Imported an already UV's object do I still need a texture in the "Modifier texture" slot?

Also I selected the "Modifier Texture" box and I couldn't figure out how to add my Displacement map image. Can't you just click it and then browse to the image?

Thanks.

Last edited by BUZZFX : 11 November 2009 at 09:49 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #5
Add a material to your object, and in one of the texture slots add your displacement map,
call the texture "displacement" if you wish(I would),
and then back in edit buttons enter "displacement" into the texture name slot.

Aand that should be it, really.

edit:

yeah, I'm not really sure why they have developed the modifier so you'd have to use a texture that needs to be in the material, but oh well, that's the way it (currently) is. :/

Last edited by fktt : 11 November 2009 at 10:26 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #6
Originally Posted by fktt: Add a material to your object, and in one of the texture slots add your displacement map,
call the texture "displacement" if you wish(I would),
and then back in edit buttons enter "displacement" into the texture name slot.
Aand that should be it, really.
yeah, I'm not really sure why they have developed the modifier so you'd have to use a texture that needs to be in the material, but oh well, that's the way it (currently) is. :/

OK, I did as you said and it worked! Thanks. The displacement is working but the problem I have now is trying to adjust the displacement to match what was in ZBrush. (see image) Are there some settings in Blender that will give me the detail I need?

Old 11 November 2009   #7
Have you added a subsurf modifier and then taken a test render. Just increase the render subdivisions until you get what you want. Displacement is geometry based so you need the resolution to be there are render time.
Blender doesn't handle micro-poly displacement yet so sometimes you can get better results by combining displacement with normal maps.
Here's a nice zbrush, blender work-flow series by Canned Mushrooms.
http://www.youtube.com/user/cannedm...C5D4CE810BFD242

Last edited by handlebar : 11 November 2009 at 10:40 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
Thanks Steve. Really appreciate the link to those videos. I come from Cinema 4D background. And like all major apps. Cinema/Max/Maya/Modo, essentially all you have to do is create a material, then in the materials settings go to "Displacement" and load you map. Bingo Done!

I see Blender takes so many steps to get your displacement maps. Do you know if using displacement maps has been simplified in Blender 2.5 and if Micro-poly Displacement has been added in 2.5? It would be nice if Blender displacement could work like most other apps.

Old 11 November 2009   #9
Glad to help
I also come from a cinema 4d background and have found the way blender handles materials and textures the hardest thing to get my head around.
I'm not going to look at 2.5 until the official betas are released so i couldn't say if the displacement handling is being worked on or not.
One thing that helped me out is thinking of the modifier stack in blender to be akin to cinema's awesome outliner.

Last edited by handlebar : 11 November 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #10
Originally Posted by handlebar: Have you added a subsurf modifier and then taken a test render. Just increase the render subdivisions until you get what you want. Displacement is geometry based so you need the resolution to be there are render time.
Blender doesn't handle micro-poly displacement yet so sometimes you can get better results by combining displacement with normal maps.
Here's a nice zbrush, blender work-flow series by Canned Mushrooms.
http://www.youtube.com/user/cannedm...C5D4CE810BFD242

Steve, I followed the Canned Mushrooms Tutorial to the letter, then added a SubSurf Modifier. I still am not getting the image to look anything like the ZBrush Render. Any ideas what I might be missing?

Old 11 November 2009   #11
Have you tried adjusting the order of the displacement and subsurf modifiers in the modifier stack, i can't remember it that makes a difference or not, but worth a shot. I can't think of anything else other than did you remember to filp your map in zbrush before you exported it.

Old 11 November 2009   #12
Steve, thanks for the reply. Yes I did flip my map in ZBrush and I moved the order of the displacement and subsurf modifiers.

Old 11 November 2009   #13
you should use the displace modifier (havent read the rest of the tread, so sorry if this has been said before)
check this wiki page for more info:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/D...s/Mesh/Displace

and for some more user results and info, check this topic on Blenderartists.org: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98760 you'll see they use openEXR to get the 16/32 bit displacement maps into Blender.

Last edited by blaize : 11 November 2009 at 09:38 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #14
in the material shading context, did you make sure that in the map input tab its on UV,
and not some other type of mapping coordinates?

Old 11 November 2009   #15
Originally Posted by fktt: in the material shading context, did you make sure that in the map input tab its on UV,
and not some other type of mapping coordinates?

Yes I had it on "UV".

Thread Closed share thread