SMC 23 (11-9 to 11-16)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
SMC 23 (11-9 to 11-16)

Salutations,

new week, new challenges.

- Howitzer,
- Bus stop,
- Cactus,
- Drill (bohrmaschine),
- Recliner,
- Sand Castle.

Same time limit as before (2 hours), and try to stick to that time limit. So if you done with an hour left, try to add more details, refine shapes, add things. Imagine the challenges as "work projects", you have this much time, and you need to do this and this. Doing faster means doing more.

Old 11 November 2009   #2
bus stop - 1h 30

Old 11 November 2009   #3
Howitzer - 1hr 47mins.

In retrospect, I should have quickly researched how a Howitzer works before hand since my breech is conceptually there, but clearly incorrect. It was still fun to model and I'm happy with the result.

Last edited by keptin : 11 November 2009 at 11:57 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #4
any chance of a render one, or shaded? of that howitzer?

MY WORK AT behance
www.behance.net/waldowalle

Old 11 November 2009   #5
Quote: any chance of a render one, or shaded? of that howitzer?

I wasn't planning to, I'll see what I can do if I have the time.

*edit*

renders added above

Last edited by keptin : 11 November 2009 at 11:57 AM.

Old 11 November 2009   #6
Trying my hand at this.
A teeny tiny mini cactus!
~1h30m

Old 11 November 2009   #7
This is my submission of the drill. I took "drill" a bit more abstract and constructed a drill press. Let me know what you think :-D

The picture links to my flickr page, which in turn should reveal the "Drill Press" set which has more details. Took all of 2 hours. I took MSus' concept to heart (the faster you finish the more you do).

BTW: What might be considered a difference between a plain ol' castle and a sand castle? As it pertains to 3d modeling, the two could really be one in the same, couldn't they? Just depends on the material you put on it.

Last edited by jakeh14 : 11 November 2009 at 08:46 PM. Reason: link didn't work, now it should

Old 11 November 2009   #8
Reclining seat, based on my "computer chair", 1h 45min

I couldn't really make the leather stitching look the way I wanted given the timeframe, so I just switched the material to cloth and problem solved, no more leather stitching to worry about

Old 11 November 2009   #9
Quote: What might be considered a difference between a plain ol' castle and a sand castle? As it pertains to 3d modeling, the two could really be one in the same, couldn't they? Just depends on the material you put on it.

Well lately I'd think that sandcastles has become more synonymous with sand sculptures. Try and image search with google the term "sandcastle" and you'll see some wonderful examples that you clearly wouldn't see a normal stone castle be built like.

Old 11 November 2009   #10
Wow, love the entries, even the renders are superb. Those things don't even look as speed models

@Steyn is that maya fur on the cactus? Looks awesome.

My models are taking a bit more time, as free time is a bit scarce right about now

I was aiming for a more "organic" modeling with the sandcastle. Sandcastles are softer, rounder, simpler and more organic then stone (real) ones. I agree, not the best challenge item from me, but I hope you get the idea. Any sand structure will do tho (as Steyn said).

Old 11 November 2009   #11
@MSus
Quote: @Steyn is that maya fur on the cactus? Looks awesome.

Nope, don't own Maya, I do own 3D Studio Max 7, but it's the version before Discreet added hair/fur in Max. Back then I bought a product called Ornatrix Hair and Fur, works wonders, even if both products are like four or five years old. Doesn't matter what program a person uses, it's how they use it that counts.

Old 11 November 2009   #12
Originally Posted by Steyn: Doesn't matter what program a person uses, it's how they use it that counts.

That sounds like an innuendo...is that an innuendo? :-P

Thanks for the clarification on the sand castle. I think it's a great entry, because not very often in these things do we get to make organic shapes. I have a few ideas, you might see one or two shortly.

Old 11 November 2009   #13
I backspaced that sentence three times before posting the reply, and it still came out as an innuendo. >_<

Last edited by Steyn : 11 November 2009 at 11:02 PM. Reason: can't spell the word sentence

Old 11 November 2009   #14
Bus stop, 1h 15min. I usually model stuff based on existing objects, but for this one decided to just come up with my own design after finding real bus stops ugly. Seats didn't really turn out like I wanted, but for the rest I'm quite pleased.

Old 11 November 2009   #15
Originally Posted by Crommi: Bus stop, 1h 15min. I usually model stuff based on existing objects, but for this one decided to just come up with my own design after finding real bus stops ugly. Seats didn't really turn out like I wanted, but for the rest I'm quite pleased.

I would have to agree about the seats. The rest of the bus stop is so contemporary and organic that I kind of expected to see more of that same aesthetic in the seats themselves. That said, I think you pulled off a technically sound model. I can't see any issues, anyhow. Very simple yet effective. As one of my favorite professors once proclaimed, "Keep it simple, stupid."

Not to insult anyone of course :-D

Thread Closed share thread