Modeling Issues.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2009   #1
Modeling Issues.

Hi!
I'm new here, I'm 16 and I'm trying to make my path to 3D artist to get into Game and Film industry. well I'm just trying to improve my skills before going to DigiPen. i began 3D 3 month ago by the way, by myself.
This was my first model (days after i knew what 3D really mean, the first days where to learn tools), then those came days after: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - and this, as the first rendering.
And today, i registered here as i found this forum full of great artist who make incredible art.
..OK enough speeches. i was modeling a female head and body today and i came across some issues, i wasn't able to add more details here (the red lines show where anatomy details should be) but if i try to add them, the whole topology should be modified (wich requires more skills to get done), and a similar problem here with the head, where i must change the topology but couldn't. Could someone help?
Thanks!

Old 11 November 2009   #2
If you could post a wireframe of your torso it would help. I'd like to see what your edge flow is like.

I'd also start looking at what other people have done with their character models, mostly wireframes, and see how their edge flows create the anatomy you want on your model.

Old 11 November 2009   #3
I see them all the time, i may imagine how a correct edgeflow should be (i have a some previous 2D skills: anatomy etc..) but i can't apply it..
Here's the Wireframe Body : Right here.
Thanks!

Old 11 November 2009   #4
welcome,

first of all, try working without mesh smoothing. You need to build a solid mesh base if you want good results. Most probably you have extra edges which are causing problems.

Post a screen without smoothing then a better suggestion can be given. It is not difficult just takes some practice to get the idea how things work. Good luck

Old 11 November 2009   #5
was hoping for a base mesh but whatever.

So look at your models arm, it's completely straight, all the edgeflow is going in 1 straight direction. Now, look at your arm in real life, and make the palm of your hand face the ground. You see your radius has twisted, causing most of your forearm to rotate 90. Apply that to your model. And try to keep your base mesh simple, there's nothing worse then adding unnecessary edgeloops. Let the smoothing do that part later on when your done.

so here is what i mean:
(Model courtesy of school)

goodluck!

Old 11 November 2009   #6
far, i'll try to improve the mesh, then post a screen for the result.
dare-o, wow.. that arm looks so realistic! for the rotation of the forearm, i swear i knew it! but ugh.. didn't apply it! also, my problem is not being able to create those N-gons and E-gons (i got that from SomeArtist) and also where to put them.
Thanks to both of you guys! your advices are very precious!
Um.. it'll be cool if you would like to check this drawing i just finished.

Old 11 November 2009   #7
Originally Posted by SonicNextGen: far, i'll try to improve the mesh, then post a screen for the result.
dare-o, wow.. that arm looks so realistic! for the rotation of the forearm, i swear i knew it! but ugh.. didn't apply it! also, my problem is not being able to create those N-gons and E-gons (i got that from SomeArtist) and also where to put them.
Thanks to both of you guys! your advices are very precious!
Um.. it'll be cool if you would like to check this drawing i just finished.

That's a cool pic. Have you considered pursuing a career as a concept artist?

Anyway back to your original point... yes work on your flow. Make sure you use reference from a professional source.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
Drawallday: both!
As of my problem, it won't solve.. i tried to copy that arm, but i couldn't get the correct topology. i see some N-Gons in there that make the correct topology, i'm trying to learn how to create them in a mesh. could someone help?
ps: i think this is what's called 'Retopology' right?
Edit: No.. it's building a mesh on top of anoter one as a reference. i just got it from YouTube.

Last edited by SonicNextGen : 11 November 2009 at 11:22 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #9
I think you're confusing N-gons with poles. An N-gon is a poly face with 5 or more sides(the N denoting the number) and what i believe you're refering to are called poles. areas of the topology where 3,5 or more edges converge on a vert. It is vital to understand these as they are the key to moving away from an all quad "grid" topology to a topology like the one posted above. You'll notice that poles are placed strategically to redirect the topology flow and helps define the musculature.

Old 11 November 2009   #10
Poles. Thanks musashidan! i really appreciate it!
I'm happy to say that i kinda began to understand how to control the edgeflow! i just have to create the 'anatomy edges' and the try to merge them with the model (while paying attention to the quads and edgeflow). Here's my first poor example. i know that the edgeflow is incorrect, i'll try to learn more about it.

Old 12 December 2009   #11
Hi guys (... and girls)!
I'm box modeling a figure and i made it to the point where i want to scale some edges without modifying the mesh's structure. is that possible?
Here: *Click*
Thanks!

Old 12 December 2009   #12
its probably best to move the verts, not the edges. and if your building a face I would start with the lips then move outward. Box modeling can get messy very quick.

Old 12 December 2009   #13
Thanks Dare-o! i just moved the verts. as for the steps, i've seen 2 video tutorials that start with th eyes like that so i'm trying to memorize them. starting with the lips will be a big challenge for me.
It got messy serveral times..! i did best by saving very often! here it is.
No blueprints by the way. i didn't find some but it's better like that for some improvement in 3D and 2D.

Last edited by SonicNextGen : 12 December 2009 at 12:57 PM.

Old 12 December 2009   #14
Originally Posted by SonicNextGen: Drawallday: both!
As of my problem, it won't solve.. i tried to copy that arm, but i couldn't get the correct topology. i see some N-Gons in there that make the correct topology, i'm trying to learn how to create them in a mesh. could someone help?
ps: i think this is what's called 'Retopology' right?
Edit: No.. it's building a mesh on top of anoter one as a reference. i just got it from YouTube.

You're making some progress there. Keep it up!
Since you want both, concept art and 3d... eventually you might find it tricky to keep up with both.

Old 12 December 2009   #15
Thank you Drawallday!
Don't you think that, if you make progress in 3D, you do so in 2D too? and the other way around? i think it's working pretty well for me (as a selfthaugh in both 2D and 3D).
I want to thank 'Some Artist' endlessly!! in the begining, i didn't understand the theory about poles, but now, after reading his incredibly helpful lessons again and again, i made a progress and applied the theory behind the powerful 'Poles'!
Here's my latest model : Shara. Topology practice.

Last edited by SonicNextGen : 12 December 2009 at 02:19 AM.

Thread Closed share thread