Best free software for learning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2009   #1
Best free software for learning

hello.

Iím trying to get into 3d modeling (more modeling over painting or animation). Obviously, to start with I donít want to spend £1000s on software, so was reading the free software thread pinned at the top of this forum (I didnít want to thread hijack that thread, hence why I started my own).

So, what I want to know is, what is the best free software to use of a novice/newbie to get into 3d modeling?

Many thanks

B

Old 10 October 2009   #2
Originally Posted by R10k: I expect this thread will get archived because there is no, 'best program'. Try the different options and learn the general techniques common to every modelling program, free or otherwise. If you're trying to land a job, learn the appropriate program. That's about it.

Hi R10K

thanks for the reply.

is there no "most popualr" one then? As i said, in just starting out. So, is it a case of chosing the one with, for example, the most video tutorials etc on the web?

many thanks

B

Old 10 October 2009   #3
I expect this thread will get archived because there is no, 'best program'. Try the different options and learn the general techniques common to every modelling program, free or otherwise. If you're trying to land a job, learn the appropriate program. That's about it.

Old 10 October 2009   #4
Autodesk gives out their software for free when your learning.

http://students6.autodesk.com/?nd=home

Old 10 October 2009   #5
Mod test.
Something is definitely up

Ah ok, everything back to normal
Check out my siggy for links to free software. Autodesk's offer is great but it's only for 6 months. You will need longer!

Cheers

Last edited by Kanga : 10 October 2009 at 07:43 PM.

Old 10 October 2009   #6
Originally Posted by Kanga: Mod test.
Something is definitely up

Ah ok, everything back to normal
Check out my siggy for links to free software. Autodesk's offer is great but it only for 6 months. You will need longer!

Cheers

Many of my student's are also having a disaster of a time getting it to work on different OS's etc. Hopefully, they can get this thing more automated soon....yeesh.

Old 10 October 2009   #7
The Softimage Mod Tool would be my suggestion.

Old 11 November 2009   #8
i'd naturally mention blender, considering 4.5 is aiming to look more 'professional' and you get quite alot of tools in a small pakage, plus theres alot of support going with it as well(tutorals, plugins, model downloads, forums, etc) . not too complicated either...i figured most things out with out even needing to find a tutorial, but then again i've tried like every program i could get my hands on since 12 :P

anyway If you don't wanna have to find all kinds of programs for your needs, blender has it all in some form...(so you can avoid the questionalble route)

its a good start since i've found that once you learn one program you can learn them all

Google+ | Twitter

Last edited by iadagraca : 11 November 2009 at 06:38 PM.

Old 11 November 2009   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread