Skeleton moving indepently of skin

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2009   #1
Skeleton moving indepently of skin

Hi all,

I have a model of a spider that I have made, and Iíve set up a skeleton for it and binded it to the polygon model. All my joints work fine, the spiderís legs move around as expected etc.

When I translate/move the body of the spider in any direction however, the joints donít move at the same rate. They still move, but start to lag behind the spider and progressively get further away.

This happens whether I select the joints and the spider together, or whether theyíre grouped and I move the whole group itself.

Any ideas? Iíve had this happen before when grouping polygons, and I have no idea why. I feel like Iím missing something fundamental here

Old 10 October 2009   #2
Sounds like double transformation. Do you have the mesh grouped under the skeleton, if so, it gets moved twice. Once from being a child of the skeleton and again for being a skin cluster. Take the mesh out of the joint hierarchy to fix.

Old 10 October 2009   #3
Thanks for the reply.

I've fixed up my grouping now, but I've run into another issue.

I'm trying to use the root joint of my skeleton to translate my whole polygon model. When I do this though, the root joint just moves around and doesn't affect the rest of the skeleton. How can I do this?

Old 10 October 2009   #4
It seems that you have checked Preserve Child Transformation in the settings of you Move tool. Uncheck it and you should be fine.
you can also do that by holding w and pressing the LMB button to get the menu

Old 10 October 2009   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread