Peter Jackson getting paid record amount to direct "King Kong"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2003   #1
Peter Jackson getting paid record amount to direct "King Kong"

http://www.rednova.com/news/stories...3/story001.html

Old 08 August 2003   #2
Good, he made the studios probably in the range of a few billion dollars from the LOTR series by the time ROTK comes out.

Old 08 August 2003   #3
He deserves it.Can't wait to see it already.

Old 08 August 2003   #4
That's great.

The man deserves it, LOTR's aside, he has stood up against the NZ government, and pushed our country's film industry forward, and has made it easier for overseas films to shoot here.

The man should be knighted.

(Oh.. and I am soooo going to try to get a job at Weta for King Kong *bangs his chest*)

Last edited by NUKE-CG : 08 August 2003 at 03:21 AM.

Old 08 August 2003   #5
Good for NZ?

Knighted? What, are you crazy? Jackson has benefitted from over 80 million dollars worth of New Zealand taxpayer's money so by 'standing up to the government' I guess you mean 'blowing the government'. And yes, he has made it much easier for foreigners to film here. At the moment we're considered 'cheaper than Mexico'. He currently employs 90% americans for the Fx on ROTK. How exactly is this LA whore good for NZ? Good luck getting a job at anything other then entry level at Weta. And get ready to stay at entry level for the whole project - unless you talk with an American accent, you're ****ed buddy.

Old 08 August 2003   #6
Thanks Man !
You're quite the motivational speaker !

Employing only Americans is totally horse shit though, don't know what you're talking about there.. they are mostly american because they have a population of 280 million.. cheap airfares, and they live in a scary place, don't blame them for working in NZ where 1 person dies, and it's in the papers/news for weeks.

As for Peter, you have to start somewhere, he might come off as an ass, better in the long run, good things take time.

Old 08 August 2003   #7
Re: Good for NZ?

ahem.

If you want a job at weta, send in your reel. if you're good and there's a spot available, you'll get hired. doesn't matter if your american, kiwi, aussie, afgani, budapestian, hermaphraditian, or french.

-jason

Quote: Originally posted by inx
Knighted? What, are you crazy? Jackson has benefitted from over 80 million dollars worth of New Zealand taxpayer's money so by 'standing up to the government' I guess you mean 'blowing the government'. And yes, he has made it much easier for foreigners to film here. At the moment we're considered 'cheaper than Mexico'. He currently employs 90% americans for the Fx on ROTK. How exactly is this LA whore good for NZ? Good luck getting a job at anything other then entry level at Weta. And get ready to stay at entry level for the whole project - unless you talk with an American accent, you're ****ed buddy.

Old 08 August 2003   #8
I can't believe people are saying he (or anyone) "deserves" that amount of money. I think he deserves about $40-50k USD per year, like the rest of us. What a screwed up economy (and it's no wonder)...

Old 08 August 2003   #9
Quote: Originally posted by Hookflash
I can't believe people are saying he (or anyone) "deserves" that amount of money. I think he deserves about $40-50k USD per year, like the rest of us. What a screwed up economy (and it's no wonder)...

ok lets me ask you this.....DO YOU have the creativity and endurance to make a SUCCESFUL adaptation of one of the most famous book series EVER? Didnt think so....

Old 08 August 2003   #10
Yes I do

Old 08 August 2003   #11
if anyone deserved it its peter jackson.

Hookflash go and watch the behind the scenes of LOTR fellowship of the ring special edition. I would have eaten prozacs like m&m's if I had to go through half the shit Peter jackson gone through in making these movies.

appereantly you still think Directors job only includes shouting "action" and "cut"

Old 08 August 2003   #12
Yes I do

than why didnt you direct the movie?

Old 08 August 2003   #13
lol!

seriously, if you saw the amount of pressure that pj's under to get this thing right.. the amount of money being spent on him, the amount of his life that he's given up, the amount of shit in his head..

I seriously doubt many people in this world could do it.

Maybe you could inx, and if you can.. great! I can't wait to see what ya do!

AND, if you can do it.. then you'll really apprciate all that pj's doing to get these films done, and you probably won't give him any grief.

If he's able to convince some company who's going to be making MAJOR BANK off his creative work to give him a large portion of that money.. well hell, he friggin deserves it, I think. Good on 'im.

-jason

Old 08 August 2003   #14
Re: Good for NZ?

Whew! Thems Strong words! I don't even know where to begin with a response.

Agreed Weta is dominated by US artists, and it's a fact that to get jobs in this industry it helps to know people. Lots of the people here know other people with the skills to work here and help them to get hired here. many of them are in the US, many are not.

here's my story:

I am a native Kiwi, i got hired by an american producer to do previs for LOTR. he hired me based on a pretty basic demo reel. (He got my reel because i met someone who was already working here who recommended me) I got crap money and did what was considered an entry level Job. I loved it. i got to work with some of the best people working in Film making and visual effects in the world. I worked my ass off. I learnt and learnt. After previs wrapped PJ asked for me to join the animation team because he liked some of the previs I had done for gollum. Into the world of feature animation went I ,thanks to PJ. Again I learnt and learnt and worked my ass off. Currently I'm working as an animation sequence lead and previs lead for ROTK. All without ever having to leave wellington.

Thank You Mr Peter Jackson! (and all those who gave me a chance or mistook me for someone else)

Sometimes i can't believe the things i get to do here and i get scared that it will all end and i will have to go back to the "normal" world. I know i'm lucky and you are correct that there are relatively few kiwis at weta digital (weta workshop, editorial, the shoot crews, the art department and sound department are a different story) however as Jason said and I may as well quote directly:

"If you want a job at weta, send in your reel. if you're good and there's a spot available, you'll get hired. doesn't matter if your american, kiwi, aussie, afgani, budapestian, hermaphraditian, or french"

It's kinda boring to say it again but talent and persistence will get you work in this industry no matter where you're from.

and my accent is still decidedly Kiwi - Jason still has trouble understanding me, well when I mumble into my keyboard he does.

-Richard

Old 08 August 2003   #15
inx get your facts straight

As Jason said, Weta hire the people with the best skills. We are not staffed by 90 percent americans. There are people from all over the world here.

And we have many artists who have worked there way into the comp dept from roto/paint. There are other staff who have moved into 3D dept also.

P.S I am not american

Welf

Snr. Compositor

The comp dungeon Weta

Thread Closed share thread