EA Moves To Montreal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
EA Moves To Montreal

EA Moves To Montreal

Electronic Arts representatives have announced that the company intends to create a new game development studio in Montreal, Canada. Although no specific site has yet been selected it is expected that new project research will begin in the city by the end of 2003.

Alain Tascan has been named as the Vice President and Studio General Manager of the new operation. It is not clear whether the new studio will be developing any of the company’s existing franchises or solely creating new ones, but Executive Vice President Bruce McMillian has been quoted as saying that, “we could have as many as four major franchises operating out of Montreal.”

New staff are already being recruited via the company’s job website at jobs1.ea.com/montreal.html.

08 August 2003
Just read about that this morning - thanks for the news, bentllama. Montreal is an amazing city (that's where I am from originally). I am curious to see where they decide to locate their facilities.

08 August 2003
Sweeeet!!

Fredrik Hultqvist
- Online portfolio: - Magicswithin - <-- Now Under Construction
- My Cgchallenge Gallery: - Apt Pupil -
- Email: - me -

08 August 2003
Werent they building a new coastal building in cali?

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by Goon
Werent they building a new coastal building in cali?

Yea, but thats a consolidation of the three LA locations into a single place. What used to be Westwood Studios, Dreamworks Interactive and EA in Orange County(Irvine?).

08 August 2003
Woohoo, great news. Hopefully more will follow. I think that thanks to Ubisoft's recent works (even if I am far from being a fan of their games, they have not been very creative design-wise in their games) more companies are thinking of Montreal as another city to settle in.

Too bad I'm heading for the printing industry

08 August 2003
Burnaby studio

Does anyone know what games have been produced in the Vancouver Canada EA studio?

08 August 2003
I don't know all of them, but I do know that the SSX franchise, and other EA Big games are developed at EA Canada (although NBA street is not).

08 August 2003
Re: Burnaby studio

Quote: Originally posted by BRUTICUS
Does anyone know what games have been produced in the Vancouver Canada EA studio?

Many/most of the sports games. All the mocap is done in Vancouver too.

08 August 2003
Canada offers great Tax incentives for companies to move up North. Companies can still be headquartered elsewhere, but the tech and peeps doing the work need to be in Canada.

Some incentives from two years ago were the governments subsidizing up to 80% of technical operating costs for 2 or 3 years. If youe running an operation in San Francisco or LA, that is a prospect more than worth looking into.

On another note, that's were allot of Hollywood productions have relocated over the past four years.

richcz3

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by richcz3
Canada offers great Tax incentives for companies to move up North. Companies can still be headquartered elsewhere, but the tech and peeps doing the work need to be in Canada.

blue shift games is setting up a station up in victoria. they are based in california.

08 August 2003
Quote: Originally posted by markbones
Just read about that this morning - thanks for the news, bentllama. Montreal is an amazing city (that's where I am from originally). I am curious to see where they decide to locate their facilities.

I can't agree with you more Montreal is awsome! Glad to see EA opening shop here.

08 August 2003
Montreal is certainly a cool place. I'm returning this friday for the Radiohead concert. I can't wait Oh yea back to EA. It's cool to see there are several hubs forming outside of the California area growth is a good thing.

08 August 2003
Will they be operating in french? I think the law in Quebec is that companies over a certain size have to communicate in french (if there are over 50 employees in the office I think)
The Guide to particleIllusion, and other pI resources

08 August 2003
More than likely xzevlin. The very top executives might not, but the rest will almost certainly be employed directly from Montreal. And again, it is never an obligation for everyone to speak french, especially if you came from the US or something like that.

So everyone over there might speak mostly english between one another, but as the years pass more of the employees will be hired directly in Montreal, altho again there will always be some people form the states/UK etc.

Thread Closed share thread