October: Animation Mini Challenge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2009   #1
October: Animation Mini Challenge

Sorry this thread came around late, but better late then never, right?

Anyway for the month of October I thought that it would be cool to see what kinds of things people can come up with. The concept is going to be on based on Halloween. You can pick to do anything you like.

For example:
  1. A horror topic; Chased by zombies
  2. Halloween; Children Trick or Treating
Try to keep your animation based on the Horror/Halloween theme.

For anyone who doesn’t know of a site to host their WIPS I suggest trying Vimeo or Youtube. They are both very reliable video hosting websites and most people have access to them.

The Rules Are:
  1. Make all the WIPS in Playblast form, then if you choose you can create your final piece in a more robust renderer (NOT necessary, you can still post the final with a playblast).
  2. All animations should last at least 10 seconds long, that way there will be more clarity with what is going on.
  3. All animations should last NO longer than 12 Seconds.
  4. All participants must show there work-in-progress before posting the final.
  5. DO NOT add any audio.
  6. HAVE FUN!!!

Old 10 October 2009   #2
I'm still really new at 3D and animation, maybe a month total of experience with it (off and on through the past year or so) but I'd really like to get in on these. I'll have to make up some characters first, but I wanna see what I can do

Old 10 October 2009   #3
Welcome to the animation mini-challenge shatteredhalo. Good luck and have fun.

Old 10 October 2009   #4
if you want to focus on the aniamtion part you can download already made and rigged characters which work really well. you can look here

http://www.creativecrash.com/

under the download section theres a large selection

Old 10 October 2009   #5
Awesome, thanks! I was trying to find a good site for that kind of stuff last night and didn't have much luck, so I'll definitely have to bookmark that one.

The good thing that came out of it last night is that I made my own "main" character last night. Just gotta texture him, then rig him for animation and he should be good to go. He's rather simple and low-poly so it shouldn't be too much of a headache. I hope.

Old 10 October 2009   #6
I will enter tihs months competition too. I will send my rough blocking soon. Good luck to all.

Old 10 October 2009   #7
hey all, hope people are busy animating..looking forward to seeing whats being done. ive done the layout to my idea..however, im not sure ill be able to finnish seeing as i start my swiss military service on the 26th. so we'll see where i get too;im well motivated for this months challenge.
heres the link: http://www.vimeo.com/7040871

at the end u should know, the kid points and sprays a water pistole at the vampire, i just havent modeled it yet

Old 10 October 2009   #8
MikeCR - Nice blocking so far I really like it.

Old 10 October 2009   #9
I think it will be very comic at the end. Good start Mike, i hope u could finish. I will send my blocking soon take care.

Old 10 October 2009   #10
Here is my first blocking pass; No facial expressions just planing pass of blocking. I will do double bounce walk, when he see pumpkin he slides to it and then looks for anybody coming. He was happy to find a pumpkind on a halloween day. He splat on it then pumpkin open its eyes and mouth and he was shocked and run away.

Link: http://vimeo.com/7054122

Old 10 October 2009   #11
HeyHo.

Pixi nice blocking phase .

I will compete with you guys too :P, I'll try too show my "blocking" this weekend.

Good luck & have fun .

Cheers.

Old 10 October 2009   #12
Thank you Sebastian, good luck to you too.I will send my second blocking phase with breakdowns soon.

Old 10 October 2009   #13
ooh, this could my first anything on CGsociety. Ive been using maya for two months now. ive used Blender for over two years before. Hopefully I can get a blocking playblast done shortly. I can use my rig I made from school So, I am guessing that WIP items would be posted in this thread, right?

Old 10 October 2009   #14
Originally Posted by brucem91: So, I am guessing that WIP items would be posted in this thread, right?

Yeah, go ahead and post your WIP on this thread here. Then around the 25th there will be a thread to post the final animations. Good luck and welcome to the animation mini challenge brucem91, I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Old 10 October 2009   #15
Originally Posted by Splinter: Yeah, go ahead and post your WIP on this thread here. Then around the 25th there will be a thread to post the final animations. Good luck and welcome to the animation mini challenge brucem91, I can't wait to see what you come up with.
Thanks, yea, I am pretty new to this forum. Anyway, here is my playblast of what I have so far. The intent is that the guyis being threatened somehow, maybe by a pumpkin, not sure. I need to speed up a few things, and fix when he falls. I also need to add the hands more in front of his face.

http://www.vimeo.com/7134101

Thread Closed share thread