The Grim Reaper

portfolio
Jacques Defontaine
Freelance Artist
Soignies, Belgium

Question for programers.

Hi,

I've just saw results from the Sub Scattering shader for XSI and
I was wondering if someone could explain me why plugins for XSI, 3DSMax or even some for Maya are always 10 times faster(except Sasquatch) than plugins for Lightwave?

I did some tests with Ogo_Hikari shader for Lightwave which do Sub Scattering among other things and it works good but It so slow(PIII 800, 512MB) that I don't feel like using it anymore.
I did almost the same test with the Sub Scattering from Final Rendering for 3DSMax and It gave better result and was 10 times faster.

I also tested soft reflection shaders and GI engine from different packages and came to the same conclusions.

I really enjoy using Lightwave and I don't really feel like changing it for another 3D package but I was wondering if there were in this world programers that can implement shaders that are as good and fast as those you can find for other 3D packages.

I'd also like to point that I already got some answers from different plugin programers (specially Lightwave programers) saying that shaders from other 3D packages were not true soft reflection shader or not true Sub Surface Scattering shader or even not a real GI engine but who cares really, as long as it gives results.
Just because they want it to be a true shader plugin, we need a render farm to use it, or spend days in trying to fake it knowing you're not going to get the results you were expecting eventually.

Honestly, I'm tired of it. :mad:

PS:Apologize my bad english, I'm from Belgium.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread