SMC 18 (09-17 to 09-24)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2009
SMC 18 (09-17 to 09-24)

Something new for this week. No time limit, you know what you're capable of, so just try to model as quickly as you can. State the time it took to model in your post and we can all help each other from there. Maybe point out ways to make it quicker and so forth. You may ask if people know of quicker ways to do things. Also, please tell us some about modeling techniques and whatnot if you wish to share, or ask for help, or provide some help.

Please don't be discouraged to show us your model... The only way to get better is to accept the advice of others, and the only way to do that is for those others to see your work!

This week, we have:

Tug Boat
Screwdriver
Cellphone
Telephone Booth
Walther P99
Television
Refrigerator

09 September 2009
yes, and even if we don't get much crits, just the fact that we are modeling on a weekly, or even daily basis, leads to good progress. so keep posting

09 September 2009
well first one, i made screwdriver it took hardly 30 min or soo, for the tip i had 4 verts and i extruded them inward, it was the only challenge but thankfully i resolved it quicklly

MY WORK AT behance
www.behance.net/waldowalle

09 September 2009
another in this long night of modelling ><
this time i did the TV i used a reference i used from the web, i was interested in doing an old design

MY WORK AT behance

09 September 2009
Good stuff. I really like the TV set, but the screwdriver kind of looks... too... organic? I think there isn't enough distinctive shape to it. Perhaps you should have more divisions around the loops to give it more shape and less of a molded clay look. That is my opinion of that. I'm not sure if you're poly modeling and converting to sub d's or straight sub d modeling or what, but I just kind of think it looks a little odd as is.

09 September 2009
Hey guys,

I've been following your speed modelling threads for some quite time now, but I never had the confidence to post my own work. But that has to change, if I want to get better

So here's my Phone booth. It took me 45 minutes (not counting the reference hunting, shading/rendering). It's actually not a single polygon model, but rather build with many models. Each side wall, bars in the window, roof, foundation and the little walls that keep the roof up are separate and then "snapped" together. The build process was very simple, a few edge lines, extrude and that's it.

The only problem I had was the roof, it has a very weird shape to it. That took me quite a while to figure out, and I'm still not happy with it (as it even has some tris in it :argh.

09 September 2009
Hey guys,

This is my first Speed-Modelling entry.

It's a small tug boat, for the pipes and the cables I used Nurbs, the other things are made out of polys.
I tried to stay pretty low-poly, there are about 1800 Polys.
I hope you like it, any suggestion or critic is welcome!

Time needed: 1 hour 30 min.

09 September 2009
Great guys lets keep it going!

Wualforvalle-
I think your tv set looks good. It was a good idea to get a reference. my only crit is that some of the proportions of some of the details are off. for example the knob on the television in the reference is about the same diameter as the curved part of the plate that it sits on. as well the switch below it is further towards the bottom of that same plate. and then lastly you are missing the slope in around the glass of the tv set. the glass in the reference seems to be inset an inch and half or so. great work though, and the speed is very good!

edit:
Nice tugboat Kremer! i think since you did such a nice job keeping it low poly you could probably add a few more to bevel some edges. looks great though

Last edited by alkhobarspecial : 09 September 2009 at 01:43 PM.

09 September 2009
Miha if you mean the the triangles at the corners, you can just create another row, connecting the other corners of the triangles. This will make a triangle adjacent to the triangles you already have. So now you just merge the triangles and make squares.

attractive looking phone booth by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg miha.jpg (52.0 KB, 20 views)

09 September 2009
Originally Posted by nimbiot: Miha if you mean the the triangles at the corners, you can just create another row, connecting the other corners of the triangles. This will make a triangle adjacent to the triangles you already have. So now you just merge the triangles and make squares.

attractive looking phone booth by the way.

Oh wow, that was easy. Never crossed my mind to be honest. Thanks for the tip!

09 September 2009
Took 3 hours making this screwdriver. Would've taken 1 1/2 if it wasn't for all the dumb mistakes I had to correct. Wish I had saved my progress in layers, lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screwdriver.jpg (88.4 KB, 44 views)

09 September 2009
Great work guys. Love the participation, the help you guys are giving each other... all of it! keep it up!

Can't wait to get some of my entries in, I think this has the potential to be the better of the challenges yet.

09 September 2009
we should all post some ideas for next challenges in the Item list thread cause if we go on like this we will end up without ideas ><

MY WORK AT behance

09 September 2009
@alkhobarspecial: Thank you! Yes you are right I could have spent time on the bevelling the edges. I will do so, if I make an Illustration with the boat.

@Wualforvalle: I like your tv, but the holder on the top seems to be too high poly, and the foot could need some more resolution. Good work though!

Here is my try on a screwdriver:
Made out of one piece and then seperated into two, because i had to add more edges to the cross.
Took me about 30 minutes to model.

09 September 2009
First post ever!

Kremers: The tugboat is really cool. I'm guessin the majority of your poly count is from the rounded bits (the piping, rope, bumper rings). The rest is surprisingly low poly. Also, you have these squares sticking out of the model that sort of look like inverted windows, and I'm not sure what they are. Maybe a little detailing to set them as panels or whatever.

Wualforvalle: The TV stands out the most I think of your two models. It seems like the concept image was a bit more rounded than your model, which I don't really see as an issue. However, the screen of the original has this inward bevel between the glass and the plastic outside. I would've liked to have seen that.

MSus: The phone booth turned out great, I thought. Despite the minor issues with poly flow (and I stress the word "minor"), I can't think of anything you could change. The top part (the roof as well as the chunk right under it) probably could've stood to be a lower poly, but the model itself is so simplistic that the extra detail doesn't hurt it at all.

As for my input, I did a fridge. You can tell where it got later in the time period, as I got lazier in my modeling. Let me know what you all think

Thread Closed share thread