Now or never - a sketchbook (critique's welcome) 56kAlarm

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2009   #1
Now or never - a sketchbook (critique's welcome) 56kAlarm

Here are some paintings, mostly speedpaints that i drew over the time.
Many of them are quite old and are probably better, than they would be, if I drew them now, because I never kept praciticing in a really determined way.
I want now to keept it up over a longer timeperiod to get some of my skills back and to improve them finally.
I think, I'll start now nearly from scratch with value, form, anatomy and color studies and will try to post regularly.
It would be great to get feedback from the pros here, who could point out the flaws and show me where to improve.

Last edited by Vyse-soa : 09 September 2009 at 02:53 PM.

Old 09 September 2009   #2

Last edited by Vyse-soa : 09 September 2009 at 02:54 PM.

Old 09 September 2009   #3

Some Nintendo DS Sketches

Old 09 September 2009   #4
Howdy dude, beautiful pack of images you shown here There is hardly anything to criticize since from my point of view you're exploring the art world wisely. So just keep doing it this way, I'll be watching your thread with passion

Old 09 September 2009   #5
thx, siiilon

Quote: watching your thread with passion

I do that do with your thread since some time now, I just didn't leave any comment yet, but its really great.

Heres my todays attemp on a movie screenshot... It's not allt that ambitious, but I think, its better keep the energy for a long run, than to exhaust it in the beginning.

Last edited by Vyse-soa : 09 September 2009 at 03:49 PM.

Old 09 September 2009   #6
hey Vyse, good to see you with your own sketchbook. I like you stuff. Some of the BW stuff is great, like the face a lot.

But I have to say, that there seems to be a big gap in quality between your stuff from reference and the stuff from mind. It is a problem I have as well.

Old 09 September 2009   #7
Hey Vyse, drawing shots from movies is actually good idea, it's like reverse engineering of someone else design - something like a old master's study.

TedNindo wrote :
Quote: But I have to say, that there seems to be a big gap in quality between your stuff from reference and the stuff from mind.

Agreed, but that's 100 percent OK. We spent a big deal of time slowly lowering this "gap". There's no other way, just keep drawing from refference/life and THINK about your subject of study. Is it perspective, form, value, color? Newer try to focus on everything at once equally, choose one thing and "THINK -> SEE -> SKETCH -> THINK .."(quotation from Thomas C. Wang).

Quote: It is a problem I have as well.

Fortunatelly all of us (otherwise it wouldn't be fair)

Old 09 September 2009   #8
Jup, I think its exactly like Siilion wrote, that the gap gets smaller, the more we learn from real life or reference drawing and apply it to our spontaneous doodles.
I think an artist will be dependent on references a very long time, even if your good at drawing from mind, there will be always situations, where you cant push the painting further without consulting an reference image.

argh, had some stressful days again... but I decided, that I will do nevertheless at least every day some of this 30 Seconds drawings from posemaniacs.com

Posemaniacs_01

Old 09 September 2009   #9
hey vyse-soa!
i like the environments from the first post, also the first lineart from the 2nd. those posemaniacs are really nice as well!
just keep them coming!

Old 09 September 2009   #10
Nice sketchbook, keep up the good work.

//
A tip for you guys would be to look at the world around you or reference and try to analyze without painting from it.
Look at the sky and remember that usually the sky is brighter than the ground, things closer to the observer gets darker.
This is also the same with color, following rules it usually is colder in the background and gets warmer the closer to the observer it gets.
Scale is also one important thing, without concern of what it is in the picture scaling objects give you depth.

In decorative painting we were taught a scale of 3, which means 3 diffferent sizes on your brush will suffice to give you depth.
Experiment with the rules though, I think if you do mistakes you will learn from them.
This is why I try to post pictures even if I know there are mistakes in them.
I think there's a learning curve from it.
Hmm my thinking anyway.
Rules are meant to be broken though.

Some of these rules above takes years to understand. It doesn't come immediately because it perhaps is better if you found them out by yourself aswell.
Hmm I ramble too much lol.

keep it up

Old 09 September 2009   #11
I know what you mean. I'm doing this since some time now.
Its kinda fascinating to look at the world around you and try to simplify what you see to a rule which you can apply for painting.
For example, the farther away someting is, the more it gets the ambient color of the sky.
Or simplified water waves are like two mirrors aranged like that __/\___/\_ (sideview) and each side reflects the enviroment its facing at. etc.
But still I cant paint...

Old 09 September 2009   #12
That's why a camera can't bend the rules like we do, or follow the rules like a painter can.
Sometimes in nature you get something very dark, you as a painter can decide to not do it like that.
A painter can do what is most important for the painting.

However I think to do what is most important for the painting is easier when you do abstract pieces, when adding recognizeable the reading of that shape becomes more important.
I still have a problem with this, takes mileage for sure.
A quick overpaint adding some rules to give depth, eventhough your reference probably was like that....

keep it up

Old 09 September 2009   #13
Wow, thx, Matthew,

The overpaint looks great with this purple touch, it givs a great color-unitiy... should have thought of that.
And the reference was indeed different, but your picture looks better. Its this rule, which many watercolour painter propose: Not to copy the scene exactly how it is, but to do changes, which support your intention.

Old 09 September 2009   #14
Hey Vyse-soa, just a little comment, forget about the color change and look more what Matthew did with the values of the sky and background
You can view that in greyscale if are not able to separate value from color. There is nothing bad about it, it's the same like flipping the canvas.
Keep up buddy

Old 09 September 2009   #15
The references were very dark again, still tried to give em some value balance.
yeah, It's kinda hard to separate color from value or get the values right... I'll definitely have to start doing these black and white value sketches.

Thread Closed share thread