Books and resources for getting started in computer graphics programming

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2003   #1
Books and resources for getting started in computer graphics programming

This is intended for those who have an understanding of programming already, but want to get started in developing graphical applications:

Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice in C (2nd Edition)
by James D. Foley, Andries van Dam, Steven K. Feiner, John F. Hughes
Link

Introduction to Computer Graphics
by James D. Foley, Andries Van Dam, Steven K. Feiner
Link

OpenGL(R) Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 1.2 (3rd Edition)
by Mason Woo, Jackie Neider, Tom Davis, Dave Shreiner, OpenGL Architecture Review Board
Link

3D Computer Graphics (3rd Edition)
by Alan H. Watt
Link

Advanced Animation and Rendering Techniques: Theory and Practice
by Alan H. Watt, Mark Watt (Contributor)
Link

If you have any more, please reply and I'll include in this original post.

Cheers

Leo

Old 08 August 2003   #2
Theory/Algorithms:

An Introduction to Ray Tracing -- Andrew S. Glassner

Link

Realistic Ray Tracing -- Peter Shirley

Link

Realistic Image Synthesis Using Photon Mapping -- Henrik Wann Jensen

Link

Non-Photorealistic Rendering -- Bruce Gooch, Amy Ashurst Gooch

Link

OpenGL:

OpenGL SuperBible, Second Edition (2nd Edition) -- Richard S. Wright Jr

Link

Renderman:

The Renderman Companion: A Programmer's Guide to Realistic Computer Graphics -- Steve Upstill

Link

Advanced RenderMan: Creating CGI for Motion Pictures -- Anthony A. Apodaca, Larry Gritz

Link

Essential Renderman Fast -- Ian Stephenson

Link

Old 08 August 2003   #3
Few more to tack on. This is my current reading list:

Algorithmic Beauty of Plants
The original book for L-Systems. If you want an algorithms book that's just as beautiful to look at, this is the book you want. You could actually leave it on your coffee table and it would still look good. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd say it should be in everybody's collection.

Texturing and Modeling: a Procedural Approach
Great reference for procedural texturing (Think renderman shaders).

There's another one in the m/Essential .* Fast/ series that I can't remember off the top of my head. It's a math book that's designed to get you up to speed with the linear algebra needed for CG programming. Haven't read it yet, but it was reccomended to me so I could reccomend it to others that want to learn CG programming.

Don't forget the other resources other than books out there. Get your hand on every siggraph paper and course you can get your grubby hands on. Game Developer magazine is also an excellent resource for beginners. They step you through different algorithms you may want to try. I've used some of their articles in the past to figure out particular problems, and they're always really fast in the end.

Old 08 August 2003   #5
Computer Graphics: Mathematical First Steps is this book even recommendable for absolute math re-starters?

back in school, i never developed a firm interest for mathematics for i considered it all to be some abstract formula i'd never be able to see through.

nowadays, i really have that interest, for CG was able to show me some reallife (resp. virtual) applications of mathematical principles and i'm very eager to learn C for graphics and scripting languages like MEL now.

so, what i want is a book that starts just from the beginning, but with a strong focus on CG relevant basics.

any recommendations are welcome!

Old 08 August 2003   #6
Quote: Originally posted by Taos
Algorithmic Beauty of Plants
The original book for L-Systems. If you want an algorithms book that's just as beautiful to look at, this is the book you want. You could actually leave it on your coffee table and it would still look good. If it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd say it should be in everybody's collection.

And if you download Houdini, you can even try out L systems without any programming.

Old 08 August 2003   #7
Computer Animation Algorithms and Techniques

http://www.dygrafilms.es

http://www.javier3d.com

Old 08 August 2003   #8
Moller and Haines: "Real Time Rendering"

Kilgard: "The Cg Tutorial"

Angel "Interactive Computer Graphics - A Top Down Approach with OpenGL"

DChavez out.

Old 08 August 2003   #9
Man, you guys already got most of the great onesd but heres a few more I have and like.

Radiosity and Global Illumination -- Sillion & Puech
LINK

Radiosity and Realistic Image Sysnthesis -- Cohen & Wallace
LINK

Computer Graphics Using Open GL -- Hill
LINK

Data Structures for Game Developers -- Penton
LINK

Old 08 August 2003   #10
Quote: Originally posted by Taos
There's another one in the m/Essential .* Fast/ series that I can't remember off the top of my head. It's a math book that's designed to get you up to speed with the linear algebra needed for CG programming. Haven't read it yet, but it was reccomended to me so I could reccomend it to others that want to learn CG programming.

Could you perhaps try and find the name of this one? I'd be most happy to get my hands on a book like this. I'm re-reading math books from school every now and then to refresh my memory. But imo, they kind of suck ;o)

Old 03 March 2005   #11
'Rendering for Beginners: Image synthesis using RenderMan'

Hi all, wanted to add my recent book to the list of RenderMan books.. You can find more info., scene files, shaders, etc. at
http://www.smartcg.com/tech/cg/books/RfB

Cheers,
Saty

Old 03 March 2006   #12
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread