Bronze Shader CC

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2009
Bronze Shader CC

Back with another piece I'd like an outsider perspective from. I looked up "bronze statue" and they all had varying types of green and reflectivity, etc. But, I'd like to see what the community thinks of it and if I'm missing something obvious.

Model from Jeff Unay and associate's "Hyper-realistic Creature" series.

Maya 2k9, mr.

08 August 2009
This looks like a typical reflective metal shader, with ambient occlusion driving the color and reflectivity, i.e. the concave areas have a tint of green and are slightly less reflective.

EDIT:

woops, I misread your post. So this is your render then? Maybe make the bronze less orange and the oxidized parts a darker shade of bronze and not so green?

Last edited by Array : 08 August 2009 at 02:11 AM.

08 August 2009
Here is what I came up with after tweaking your image in Photoshop, I hope you don't mind:

The green parts in the midsection are tricky to get rid of, so maybe tone those down in your shader. I think the feet look pretty decent though.

Last edited by Array : 08 August 2009 at 02:21 AM.

08 August 2009
Thanks array, but the image you posted is incredibly contrasty. I think too much for the bronze I'm shooting for.

Adjusted the colors. There's a lot of different variations of bronze.

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by Array:

This looks great to me. A finished piece.

08 August 2009
Another model with the same shader, just to see.

08 August 2009
Ice shader I made last night. Looks a little rocky, but succeeds, IMO. More to come.

08 August 2009
Thumbs up

Yo Yo! Cool shader dude! MR rocks..This is a really good start man..Keep it up! Looking forward...

08 August 2009
Thumbs up

You probably know this Zbrush shaders link:

http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/library/

08 August 2009
The green oxide in the bronze should be darker and more diffuse. And the bronze surface itself is pretty good but i'd like to see a bit more grime, bump and surface irregularity on it as it's just too perfect looking now.

Here are 3 different shaders i made, first one is a copper, second one is bronze and the third one is also bronze. The important thing is subtle details in surfaces, they will boost the realism so much more on a surface. Perhaps these examples can help you somehow.

http://maximus3d.se/tests/Fryrender..._testrender.jpg
http://maximus3d.se/tests/Fryrender...estrender_1.jpg
http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?im...7.jpg&srv=img34

/ Magnus

08 August 2009
Hey Phix-

That ice shader looks really great! Keep them coming!

Mister3d-

Thanks for the kind words!

08 August 2009
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: The green oxide in the bronze should be darker and more diffuse. And the bronze surface itself is pretty good but i'd like to see a bit more grime, bump and surface irregularity on it as it's just too perfect looking now.

Here are 3 different shaders i made, first one is a copper, second one is bronze and the third one is also bronze. The important thing is subtle details in surfaces, they will boost the realism so much more on a surface. Perhaps these examples can help you somehow.

Indeed. Thanks for sending those my way. I suppose these shaders are supposed to be something clean that would be seen on a mantle or somesuch thing. The one image I tried to duplicate for the first bronze pass is this here:

As you can see it's highly oxidized and very colorful. I see what you mean about the green being more diffuse, I'll have to revisit that shader.

The second pass is based of something similar to this:

http://www.pope-john-paulii.com/images/bronzepope03.jpg

It's not an exact port, if you will (obviously), but I felt it was better suited for what I was trying to achieve. The other kicker is the model I'm using doesn't have all the UV's laid out, and it's fairly heavy. When I want some UV layout practice I'll tackle that, but for now I'm just using Maya's built in 3D procedurals and seeing how far I can take those.

Quote: You probably know this Zbrush shaders link:

I have seen these, and am actually a little envious at the amazing results within ZBrush. I don't use ZBrush, but I'll keep the link in my back pocket. Thanks

I wish I could edit my post and change this to a generic shader title, but I wasn't really planning on making much more, but I'm liking pushing my knowledge to other materials and surfaces. So I'll keep track of my endeavours here, if that's alright.

Here's a ballistics gel/latex/rubber material. Didn't base it off much, but, here it is.

08 August 2009
Stone.

I'm going about these a little willy nilly. I'll adjust the bump, color, and play with the veins later this week. I like it thought. Occlusion based stuff is fun

08 August 2009
Thumbs up

DudE the stone is comming up AWESOME ....Y dont u try some liquid and volume surface??

Hea yo go Marek's new stuff: ( Amazing )

http://marekdenko.net/?page_id=61

08 August 2009
Yea Marek Denko is DA MAN!

It's funny to see someone that's THAT good make such a twisted video. Hah...

So I've decided to undertake a new project, called "100 shaders in 100 days", and the goal is just that, to make 100 materials in 100 days. I'll have to do more than one on some days because on days I work I don't have much time to do this stuff. The 4 or so I've created are going to be the start.

Start Date: Wednesday, August 26th, 2009
End Date: Friday, December 4, 2009

I haven't got all the details sorted, but I think different types of the same material are going to be allowed. I don't know that I can make 100 different materials, or even name that many...

I'll create a new thread or get my site running and post a link.

Let the games begin.

Thread Closed share thread