Speed Modeling Challenge XVI - Steampunk Raygun

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2009
Speed Modeling Challenge XVI - Steampunk Raygun

Your challenge is to model this Steampunk Raygun!

Bigger Images

Time limit is 120 mins.
Break a leg.

08 August 2009
would be awesome that aside from posting the images, that we explained the workflow we used for our models, since we are modelling the same thing, it would help everybody the easiest way or fastest for modelling that kind of stuff

MY WORK AT behance
www.behance.net/waldowalle

08 August 2009
Yea, I agree. I always save my models progressive versions as i model, in case i screw up an operation. Ill make a "mini tut" showing my method

08 August 2009
pretty interesting.

btw, I PROMISE to have time soon lol I've missed soooo many challenges and haven't had a chance to kind of organize like I used to but my last year of school is starting tomorrow morning and I've had a lot going on with work and fam and stuff, so hopefully I'll have some time to tear some stuff up!

-Tyler.

08 August 2009
This weapon looks challenging! I'll see if i can try to make it today.
This 'mini-tut' idea is very nice, we can will learn much more with this.

08 August 2009
I tried patch modeling it, but failed terribly. Will try box modeling on wednesday

08 August 2009
box modeling is usually best for this type of stuff. you add edge loops refine shape, cut out edges of the items that bump out, shape those while adding more edge loops and when you're done smooth the geometry and voila. lol... only not so simple sounding.

08 August 2009
actually, simple sounding, but not so simple doing.. but I know what you meant

08 August 2009
Here's my entry:
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/...teampunkGun.jpg

I did it on monday, but i was 'webless' (does this word exists?) and could only upload today.
I used a couple minutes more than allowed because i screwed my model at one point and when i loaded to my last save... well, i didn't did like IRAFK said and had to redo some parts...

I didn't finish it, but could model mostly of the general shapes and add some details, so i'm pretty happy with the result.

08 August 2009
the handle came out pretty good. A little more time on the rest of the gun and I think you could have made a dam nice replica

08 August 2009
yeah nice job man .

i am having computer problems again so i think ill have to wait a little longer for this challenge, heck im doing it even if another challenge has started.
i sat down in my chair and tried doing like 2 times, before having my pc problems but i always end up stuck. i have to get it done, now resting from 3d i think i figured out the way in my mind i hope it works.

MY WORK AT behance
www.behance.net/waldowalle

08 August 2009
Thanks guys! One thing that i find very helpful for doing models that will be smoothed later is the smooth preview in maya (pressing the number 3 on the keyboard). It's much easier to tweak and get the shape you want.

08 August 2009
Hey, hey, hey! I'm back...later than I expected. Needless to say, I've been busy.

Here's my Steampunk Raygun...nothing really fancy. I modeled it expecting to put a normal and bump map on it.

About 60 minutes.

09 September 2009
i didnt have much time to take a real stab at this.

heres what i got in 20mins or so.

09 September 2009
hair dryers unite!!! lol. just kidding.

I have had like 0 or less time to work on this project. I may have an hour to do it tonight, i'll see if I can. If not, we might as well just start up a preparation thread for the next challenge. I'll go ahead and do that now.

Thread Closed share thread