How would YOU do it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2003
How would YOU do it?

Hi all,

As I was leaving for SIGGRAPH my computer shit the bed. I can get into Windows, but without a desktop or start menu. Now that I'm back from the show, I can't resist giving my old Athlon 1.2G to my sister, and buying a new machine!

I am a student at Drexel University, enrolled in the Digital Media, BS program. We do 3D modeling, animation, interactivity, and video work. I'm mostly interested in animation and video. I use the popular software from Adobe, Macromedia, and Discreet, and use Max for 3D (starting Maya soon...).

So, I am leaning towards the Intel Pentium 3.06Ghz processor. Is the price for dual processors justifyable for my home computer? Especially when there are dual 3Ghz Xeons, dual 1.7Ghz Xeons, and a render farm at the school's lab!

The video card I think I should get is the Nvidia QuadroFX 1000. Benchmarks lead me to believe that the FX2000 won't really get me that much more for the extra $500.

I think I'll get an ASUS motherboard, just predicated upon the fact that it's what I have with my existing computer, and it's always done me well.

Will I be able to get by with 1GB of DDR400 RAM?

Lite-on or Plextor CDR and DVD drives, and an ENERMAX case and PS, plus a 30GB system HD and a 120GB app/stuff HD (ATA-100) are the rest of the stuff.

Does this sound like I'm on the right track?

I'd love to hear all the suggestions you can come up with!!

Thanks a milllion,

Eric M. Levy

08 August 2003
I think you're on the right track. Renderfarm at school definitely makes dual processors less crucial - only if you need better multitasking and prepaired to pay for it (I wouldn't).

FX 1000 seems to be close to 2000 in max, so it should be allright (make sure Maxtreme works).

I'd get an Antec PS instead cause it has warranty usually.

1 gig of ram sounds good to me, unless you know why you'd need more.

As far as I know 30 GB drives don't come with an 8 mb cache - you would substantially benefit from 8 MB cache on all your drives.

08 August 2003
sounds good to me, but as dvornik allready said I wouldn't use a 30gb ata100 system disk. if you want a fast system disk use a fast scsi disk or the serial-ata WD Raptor. but a 120gb 8mb cache drive would also do the job.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread