environment shader for Car paint Mia Material Crashes.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2009
environment shader for MR Car paint Material Crashes.

Hey guys. I was just trying to create a mentalray car paint material applied to a sphere, and I wanted the sphere to reflect an environment ( no using ILB Or Dome) so I tried to connect a texture file to the surface shader of the Car Paint SG.. so far so good.. but when I try to render it crashes automaticaly.. I'm just wondering why is this? some bug? maya out of memory? is there a way to achieve this procedure without applying the texture to the surface shader?
I just wanted to test which method gives me better reflections, an IBL, a texture mapped into an sphere, or applying the texture to the environment slot of the shader.
any thoughts?

Last edited by JohnPetrucci : 08 August 2009 at 04:43 AM.

08 August 2009
Unhappy

anyone? =(

I tried creating two domes, one with lambert shader white color, this will be casting even light in the scene (using FG) then I have another dome where I map my reflections, it will be used only to cast reflection on the object, (No FG).. But I doesnt' work because the Domes block one another...
sigh...

08 August 2009
in your first post - i don't understand exactly what you are trying to do. So it's difficult to try and help...

For your second post - in order to seperate what casts final gather and what casts reflections you need to use a mip_rayswitch utility or another rayswitch utility.

I can post a dome with the right connections to only cast reflections if you want.

General comment: try to read your own posts as if you are a stranger and see if they make sense.

Last edited by anevsky : 08 August 2009 at 08:54 PM.

08 August 2009
hmm I don't know how to use those mental ray nodes, there's little documentation about them. I know it sounds confusing, I wasn't clear. I created a polygon sphere with a car paint shader applied to it. I wanted to add a texture to the environment shader slot of the Car paint SG just for reflections. but when I render it crashes so I opt for another method, a dome.
can you post that scene ? maybe I can study it and see how it works
I'd appreciate it!

08 August 2009
ok So I think I got it to work thanks to your advice. I applied rayswitch to the Dome, and I maped the reflection and Final gather maps into their respective slot and it seems to work fine!
yay!!

08 August 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread