Short Film: Templars

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2003
Short Film: Templars

Alright, Since it was pointed out to me that this thread exists, here I am.

I'm looking to get a group of people together to create a short sequence of a war torn future in an urban, as well as surreal enviroment. i already have alot of my ideas layed out, and am working on storyboarding.

The technical stuff involves:

Modeling a futuristic Armour system, one man, exo-skeletan type: Only bust and above is needed.

Compositing Real-Time footage of person INTO the armour, creating our main charecter.

Modeling surreal enviroments, as well as ravaged cityscapes (backdrops only, possible a whole street. nothing too large.

I have examples of what I'm looking for if your interested. Please let me know. I am looking, perferably, for dedicated, professionals who want to creat stunning vf scenes.

Email me at wickedchickenstudios@hotmail.com if your want more information.

Thanks you,

Benson Munyan

08 August 2003
Is this futuristic, fantasy, historic, or modern armor?

08 August 2003
Re: Short Film: Templars

Quote: Modeling a futuristic Armour system, one man, exo-skeletan type: Only bust and above is needed.

08 August 2003
Update: Project currently looking for skilled Modeler for either 3dSM or Maya!

IF interested, email wickedchickenstudios@hotmail.com

08 August 2003
First Draft Storyboard up

Link!

09 September 2003
Those story boards look really nice. I'd love to help out in a project like this. To date i have directed a short film and a documentary at college so I have a bit of experience.

Id like to make a few suggestions.

Storyboards:

1) Very artistic, however there is no constant size to the drawings. One shot they are 4:3 the next its 16:9 or 2.33:1. Whilst this makes for more dynamic comic books it less appropriate here. Though they are amazing none the less.

2) It may help to have an extra box next to each board, or a space to write underneath. This would include information such as scene number, shot number, type of shot (wide, close up etc.) as well as the sounds (music, script etc.).

3) When I storyboard I try and aim for about 3 on a sheet of A4. I'm on my lunch break at work right now so ill post an example of the sheets I use when i get back home tonight.

Script:

1) Do you have one? Is it finished? Its the most important thing and without a complete script you cannot make this project.

Story:

1) You say you want to make a sequence. What is the story? Have you worked out a story and broken it down into sequences from which this a part. The only short films that work without narrative are advertisements are music videos.

2) Do you know anything about narrative structures. This is a process of breaking down the story into 7 different steps. I can help you with this if you would like.

Do you have any qualifications or experience working on other projects? What you want to do seems fairly ambitious so do know you can achieve what you want?

Unless you can pay them. Don't expect professionals. Unless you can post a great portfolio of past work. Don't expect experts. (imho)

Look forward to you reply

09 September 2003
OH MY GOD! SOMEONE REPLIED :P

Ehem...

Firstly, thanks for all the feedback! I realize that they arnt a constant size. i wasnt going for a comic book feel, those are basically cropped shots (I drew them full, and realized i didnt need alot of the stuff in them)

I'm in the process of transfering the storyboard to something more usable, i'll break it down into more shorts as well.

Script: As far an tangible script goes, I havent writen one up yet, however I DO have an actual sotry (well, more now, I thought of a really touching addiction to this one as well) Once again, everything is In the works.

I'd be more than happy to share the story, just not here :P

Narrative what?! I know a bit about story telling, but you know more (99% chance here) I'm always willing to learn.

As far as qualifications go, I have a few minor school projects, but nothing in the same league as this. This is all mine.

As far as professionals go, I have a bunch of great instructors i've talked to (everything from storyboarding to after ffects) i realize alot of the work i'll have to learn to do myself (modeling) i know i may have to contract work out. thats fine with me, as long as the end result is what i need.

i look forward to your responce.
benson

09 September 2003
I'm glad you liked the response. Do you have MSN? If so maybe we could talk more about the project. I live in the UK so finding a time to talk may be tricky, but I'm sure we can work somthing out.

I would love to get involved with it, I'm just not entirely sure what skills I have that you need.

I can do the following with a pretty professional level of competence:

Video Editing
Sound Editing
Production Management
Script writing

I have some skills in special effects, though not alot. Like you, I am also always willing to learn new things and I plan to spend a hell of alot of this year getting odd jobs in the industry before going onto university.

In order to get into the course I want, which is pretty hard as it gets alot of applicants, I need to show a good portfolio and demonstrate I have alot of experience. Working on a project like this would be great for me.

Do you have a website? Anything where people can go to find out about this project. I think this is important. Like half the planet I can make websites, though I don't really enjoy it so I don't think I would want to make one. However its something I think you would do well to consider.

Are any other people already involved in the project? If so what can they do, how much time will they commit and can you trust them? Theres nothing worse than a person who constantly promises to deliver and then suddenly vanishes after you have invested alot of time working with them.

Could you send me the story? (kellydesign@hotmail.com) I'd love to have a look.

09 September 2003
I have e-mailed you the storyboard templates I use. They are saved as pdfs.

They aren't amazing, but they work fine for me. I tend to keep them in plastic wallets in a lever arch files as facing pages.

Vis Ins = Visual Instruction (ie wide shot, close up). The rest is pretty self explanatory.

09 September 2003
Heres the prologue and first chapter. they are un-revised, so expect massive changes. it isnt converted to a screenplay yet either, but c&c is welcome.

"Screams: Not the loud sheiking you would expect from a traitor...

Cowards, only fearless in the eyes of their blasphamous demonic false gods.

Curse them. Praise he who survived, who survives to guide men and strike down the terrible foe..."

Benson slowly disengaged his tactical display.

Cries dimmed the gunfire, but only for an instant. The night sky was pitch black, save the tracers and shallow whines of Imperial Bombardment kilometers away.

"Damn."

Earlier that year, Cultists had sieged an imperial Palace; it wasn't exactly uncommon.

(Flashback of daemons eyes)

Benson spit. Nothing to see here. He looked to the shattered hive skyline that surrounded him. There we're no traitors in this area. They were slaughtered; or they tried to flee, then got slaughtered. Either way, they burned in hell.

Benson could see pairs of dark blue eyes scattered across the ruins.

(Lightning cracks directly about the city, shacking rubble and dust to the ground)

(Flash Templar Cross on shoulderpad)

Benson pulled a silver chain out of his armour. It glared in the dusty moonlight, tarnished with dirt and blood.

The Inquisition.

(Flashes of court rooms and skulls: Crusifixions and fire. The Infamous symbol of witch hunters)

Benson finished checking his gear.

Templars where known for being bloody, second only to the Blood Angels.

Overzealous killing machines. No questions: Alive, Dead, or Guilty. It was black and white, just like their armour.

Benson loaded his weapon and began down the alley, followed by others.

"Templars"

__________________________________________________ __________

Epidemic:

Neophyte Jaques waited. Slight morning breeze, no gunfire...

Perfect.

He checked his right and left sides. Thomas and Garcia were both wide awake; Unnaturally aware even.

It was just before dawn, the scouts eyes were lit up like christmas lights. It burned; the light refraction from the sniper rifles. They weren't standard issue for the Templar's, but its hard to hit anything after 300 yards with a pistol.

Jaques prefered a shotgun. A chainsword was better, but the tech marines couldn't pruduce the Imperial machine like they used to.

40 levels up. Jaques didn't do the math. His eyes smoothly rolling from alley to alley, checking choke points and windows.

Just over a year ago, heretics had seiged an Imperial Palace. The odd thing was this time they actually took it.

All the scouts could see were shadows from within the palace, never for more than a instant: Anyone caught in the windows was asking for the Emperors Justice.

A low roaring in the distance approched from the distance...

"Here it Comes..."

Click.

Indicators flashed on the indicator. Vox chattered then quit as soon as it began.

Evac.

"Gentlemen, I believe it's time we disappear."

Jaques spoke softly as he shrunk into the sublevels.

"We're gone." whinned the comm. Everyone was out. 20 seconds. Not bad.

"Drop pods or bombs sarge?" Garcia chuckled...

Jacques listen intently... they were small and fast.

"It's not the I.N..." He continued...

"Death Company?!"

Dismay crept onto each of the scouts faces.

Blood Angels...

"Where the hell did THEY come from?" piped Thomas loudly.

Jacques strived to catch the rant on his comm.

"Sounds like they had an outbreak of suicide traitors."

Traitors: Cultists, lead by the vile false gods. They didn't fear death, they would run into the enemy by the masses, commiting themselves to death by challanging the Blessed Emperor, then destryoing themselves in a volley of grenades or bombs.

"Don't those bastards fear death?"

"Not all of them... Some welcome it. Not all are happy about their position."

"Who can blame them? I'd kill myself if I were a tra..." Garcia stopped.

Jaques pressed the bolter barrel into Garcia's forhead.

"That...." He quivered...

"is heresy. Watch your tongue, neophyte. Careless words arn't welcome. You'll not be so lucky if it happens again. Pray no-one remembers this..." Jaques holstered the pistol.

"Less.... You would enjoy a visit from the friendly Inquisition?"

Garcia Grunted

"I didn't think so."

Last edited by Wicked_Chicken : 09 September 2003 at 07:53 PM.

09 September 2003
Lets hope the copyright issues work out

09 September 2003
I've sent GW and email regaurding proper copywrite permission, I should have a responce within the next week if all goes well.

Benson

09 September 2003
Alright, we have a temperay solution to communication...

Its simple, but hopefully it will serve our needs.

http://pub7.ezboard.com/bepidemicinside

09 September 2003
Tried signing up on the board but no luck so far mate.

Had a play around with the story and scripted the introduction. It's just an idea but ive cut out alot of the 'jargon' that only us warhammer players know anything about.

I reckon it will give this a wider audience, which is important. I've also cut out everything that cannot be explained on camera. So we miss out on some detail, but its gonna be easier to achieve.

As i said its just an idea, if your not happy with it. Say.

Screenplay conversion idea.

THE TEMPLARS

PART ONE INTRODUCTION OF SETTING AND CHARACTERS

SCENE 1 THE

EXT. BROKEN CITY LANDSCAPE NIGHT

A WAR IS RAGING IN THE DISTANCE, WHILST THE CRIES OF BATTLE ARE TOO FAR TO BE HEARD THE LOUD RESONATING SOUND OF CANNON FIRE PENETRATE THE OTHERWISE PEACEFUL AIR. THE NIGHT SKY IS ILLUMINATED BY TRACER FIRE CONTRASTING AGAINST THE DARK CLOUDS OF SMOKE AND ASH BILLOWING UP INTO THE SKY.

Benson surveys the battle. We see from his inside his tactical display the battle raging in the distance. He disengages the display.

Turning back to survey the wreckage of the hive city behind him.

BENSON
Damn.

COLOUR FADE IN TO WHITE AND OUT

SCENE 2 THE MEMORY

AN ANGRY MOD OF HERETIC SCREAMING ZEALOTS ADVANCES TOWARDS THE IMPERIAL PALACE.

FLASH IN AND OUT.

THE PALACE BURNS AS HERETICS CUT THE THROATS OF CIVILIANS AND OFFICERS ALIKE.

FLASH IN AND OUT.

THE LEADER PLANTS A BANNER BEARING THE DEMONIC SYMBOL OF THOSE WHO HAVE SUCCUMB TO THE CHAOS DEAMONS.

FLASH IN AND OUT.

HERETICS ARE RUNNING SCREAMING AS BULLETS DEVOUR THEIR FLESH. BENSON IS SEEN STRIDING AMONGST THE PEOPLE AND TOWERING OVER A BODY OF THE FALLEN DEAD BOLTER FIRING CEASELESSLY UNTIL THE LAST HAVE FALLEN.

BENSON
(shouting)
Mark my words brothers. All
traitors will perish to burn in
hell.

A cheer of victory is sounded by the company of space marines.

COLOUR FADE IN TO WHITE AND OUT

SCENE 3

LIGHTNING STRIKES STIKES THE RUINED BUILDINGS ABOVE, ILLUMINATING THE SKIES FOR AN INSTANT.

BENSON PULLS A SILVER CHAIN OUT OF HIS ARMOR AND STARES AT IT, TURNING IT AROUND IN HIS FINGERS.

Discarding his spent magazine, Benson reloads and moves forward with a cry.

BENSON
(shouts)
TEMPLARS.

The camera zooms back to see the company of marines moving out behind him.

FADE OUT.

The next bit is gonna be harder to convert, but ill give it a shot later on today.

Last edited by Benork : 09 September 2003 at 11:20 AM.

09 September 2003
*updated the above*

Ok, narrative structure. I mentioned it earlier so here it is.

We need to break down the story into the following areas:

1) Introduction of setting and characters.
2) Explanation of a state of affairs
3) Initiating event.
4) Emotional response or statement of goal by protagonist
5) Complicating emotions.
6) Outcome
7) Reactions to outcome.

Every film, short or long, can be broken down into the above theory. Its not something I made up and its academically approved the world over.

As an example lets break up a film like starwars.

1) Introduction of setting and characters.

We have the scrolling text, meet darth vader, leia as well as the droids.

2) Explanation of state of affairs.

On the larger scale, galaxy under rule of the evil empire. On a smaller scale its the theft of the plans for the death star and the empires attempts to retrieve them.

3) Initiating event.

The droids meet luke who now has possesion of the plans.

4) Statement of goal.

Very clear: its the point where luke says 'There is nothing here for me now. I want to come with you and learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father'.

Though the actual goal is to take the plans to aleraan so the death star can be destroyed.

5) Complicating emotions.

Luke falls in with han solo and almost gets caught by the empire. He meets leia and there are some complex emotions there, as well as rivalry between himself and han. He sees his mentor obiwan struck down by his arch enemy. He becomes a pilot and takes on a suicide mission. The list goes on.

6) Outcome

The death star is defeated and the empire takes a huge blow. Victory for the alliance

7) Reactions to outcome

Luke is made a hero and all is happy.

(this is an example i hashed out very very quickly, if i get some star wars geeky fans here that try and argue out every point i will not be impressed. I will ignore everything that is said against this. if you must criticise me then criticise somethig, do that to the script/story)

Anyway after my length explination, we need to apply this to our story. I just thought it might help to see how we do so.....

Thread Closed share thread