best method for hiding object but showing it in reflection?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2009
best method for hiding object but showing it in reflection?

I want this object to show up in the reflection but not be rendered and I've got it working by setting Visible:no Trace:yes in its mental ray options. The reflection isn't the same though - if the object was there, it's much stronger and closer to what I want:

It may be hard to see there but the pink is definitely more predominant in the shadow/reflection in the first image.

07 July 2009
also - I tried upping the FG multiplier in the pink shader but it didn't produce nice results.

07 July 2009
try using a surface shader, since there is no shading information you might get a stronger image.

also its a trick of the eye, take the 2 image into photoshop and place one on top of the other... i bet theres no difference you just noticing more pink since the larger pink object isnt in the frame anymore

07 July 2009
ya, that works but then there's no shadow

07 July 2009
I don't use mental ray, but isn't this what the raytype shader is for? I think it is in with the production shaders.

07 July 2009
never used it but I'll check it out.

07 July 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread