July: Animation Mini Challenge

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2009   #1
July: Animation Mini Challenge

This month's Animation Mini Challenge is: Watching a scary/funny movie

Use your time wisely everyone. We have a whole month ahead of us, so start planning your setup. I hope to see something soon from everyone.

For anyone who doesn’t know of a site to host their WIPS I suggest trying Vimeo or Youtube. They are both very reliable video hosting websites and most people have access to them.

The Rules Are:
  1. Make all the WIPS in Playblast form, then if you choose you can create your final piece in a more robust renderer (NOT necessary, you can still post the final with a playblast).
  2. All animations should last at least 10 seconds long, that way there will be more clarity with what is going on.
  3. All animations should last NO longer than 12 Seconds. Even I am guilty of creating an animation that lasts exceptionally long.
  4. All participants must show there work-in-progress before posting the final.
Congratulations to MrMike for being the first Animator to make it into the "WINNERS" Circle.

Old 07 July 2009   #2
Nice ! Thanks Splinter.

We can upload WIP here itself, or will you create a separate thread for that !

Now onto some brainstorming for ideas....

Cheers!

Old 07 July 2009   #3
Originally Posted by freakbaba: Nice ! Thanks Splinter.

We can upload WIP here itself, or will you create a separate thread for that !

This thread is where we will post our WIPs, critiques, and finals. All I ask is that you let everyone know if the animation posted is a WIP or final. That way I will know at the end of the month which animations are eligible to be nominated for the "WINNERS" Circle.

Old 07 July 2009   #4
Smile Fun

This one should a fun one. And it will test me to the max I think.
Man I really like these Challenges and how you and other people are working towards the same goal and learning a ton along the way.

Not sure how much time I will have to work on this one but I think I can get some time in out it this weekend.

Good luck to all and happy animating
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MrMikeG
Blog: http://mikegallardo.tumblr.com/

Old 07 July 2009   #5
ok, i will try to stop asking with this frequency, but i read the rules for this month, and i think just 2 second between the minimum and maximum time permited will be a little hard for everyone to achieve

it could have a small increase in the maximum? if not for this month may be for the next...

and i liked this month idea, i think that will be a lot funny to make the animation and to search references =]

ah, the forum "questions" is written "quesions"

Last edited by Vidotto : 07 July 2009 at 05:14 AM.

Old 07 July 2009   #6
Originally Posted by Vidotto: ok, i will try to stop asking with this frequency, but i read the rules for this month, and i think just 2 second between the minimum and maximum time permited will be a little hard for everyone to achieve

it could have a small increase in the maximum? if not for this month may be for the next...

I understand what you mean Vidotto, but in my experience and with others, we usually tend to strive for longer durations, but in the end we eat more than we can chew.

The frame limit for this session of 240 - 288 frames is not less at all. Try doing the best you can and a lot depends on planning and you will be amazed thats its a LOT of frames. You may also end thinking, there are far too many frames to fill up.

Trust me, I used to keep increasing the frame limit not too long back, but it didn't in anyway make it look better, rather became more complex.

Just my 2 cents of thoughts !

Cheers!
Anirudh

Old 07 July 2009   #7
Originally Posted by Vidotto: i think just 2 second between the minimum and maximum time permited will be a little hard for everyone to achieve

I think 10 seconds should be enough time for us to put in plenty of detail. I don't want anyone to get too far ahead of themselves by putting in too much. By keeping the min and max to a minimal amount of frames this not only challenges you but gives everyone a higher chance of completing and an opportunity to be nominated for the "WINNERS" Circle.

As for the questions thread I missed that, thanks for giving me the heads up on that. I am dating some one who was an English major and she gets a twitch in her eye when she sees my writing . So I understand how irritating that can be. Although Im not a Moderator so don't know if I could actually edit the title of the thread, but I will see what I could do.

Thanks again you guys, for helping me stay on my toes.

Later...

Old 07 July 2009   #8
my girlfriend always corrects me too =]

ok, 10 seconds

thanks

Old 07 July 2009   #9
Set Up

Alright I got my scene all set up I think i might add a picture on the wall to finish it up.

I am going to do a scary movie for the animation
I am going to get planing it out and do some storyboarding
Because we all know that is good right.

Plan out the shot very well and then you are all set up for a win.

Here is a screenie of my scene.

Twitter: http://twitter.com/MrMikeG
Blog: http://mikegallardo.tumblr.com/

Old 07 July 2009   #10
me too in.. this time earlier.. want to make scary scene...

Old 07 July 2009   #11
hey Mike,

Nice start...its looking so inviting. Looking forward to your progress !

Good luck !

Cheers,
Anirudh

Old 07 July 2009   #12
first time poster here.

what is the policy of audio with this contest? can we add our own, or do we have to keep it on mute?

Old 07 July 2009   #13
Originally Posted by snolen: first time poster here.

what is the policy of audio with this contest? can we add our own, or do we have to keep it on mute?

Well, since this is a pantomime exercise, it doesn't have any dialog per se. I guess you are free to add sound effects, if you feel it will contribute to the overall scene.

Old 07 July 2009   #14
Originally Posted by snolen: first time poster here.

This question actually came up in the "Questions" thread if you follow the link HERE the third post will answer your question about Sound FX.

Old 07 July 2009   #15
ok thanks splinter. i didnt want to send anything in just to get dq'd.

I have another question... does anyone know a place that i can find maya models for my scene?

Thread Closed share thread