James Cameron Previews 24 Minutes of Avatar!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2009
It was about time someone post this, I didn't dare to do it by myself. I'd recommend everyone to go http://www.marketsaw.blogspot.com instead though... This being said, I am freaking excited by all the comments! My most anticipated movie of the year.

06 June 2009
A must see movie for sure. I can't even wait for the trailer

Last edited by Pufferfish : 06 June 2009 at 11:21 PM.

06 June 2009
Topic should probably read. Comments from people who saw a 24 minute preview of Cameron's avatar movie. Nothing to see but some pictures...

06 June 2009
All I've heard from James Cameron so far is how amazing the 3D is and Technology behind it and blah blah. But what about the story?

If it's just another 3D movie resembling a computer game without much substance I might as well go watch a Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich movie.

The generic looking Mecha, vehicles and aircrafts from Avatar I've seen so far disappointed me. It looks dated.

But of course once the trailer and movie is out it will be better to judge.

06 June 2009
I think people are crossing their fingers for Cameron to show the footage at comic con which I guess happens next month .

06 June 2009
You have seen nothing.... I assure you.

Originally Posted by xsitar: The generic looking Mecha, vehicles and aircrafts from Avatar I've seen so far disappointed me. It looks dated.

06 June 2009
Lone Deranger, you tease !

Yeah, I think people are making judgments too early based on three or four drawings, which I thought were fine - there’s a mech, and guess what, it looks like a mech! I have faith in Cameron, and I think all his movies have been enjoyable.

06 June 2009
At this point, if Avatar doesn't deliver I will be shocked. This isn't like the John Gaeta "Matrix photoreal Neo and Agent Smith" fiasco where he assured everyone you wouldn't be able to tell they were cg. Then the trailer came out and they looked really really really cg.

So far everyone that has seen the Avatar footage has sworn up and down it will revolutionize visual effects, so it's almost impossible that it won't. Quotes like "Believe the hype" make me hopeful.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, just in case.

06 June 2009
To be honest, I couldn't really care for this 24 minute preview. I don't get to see it so how can I possibly be excited about it?

Come on Cameron - out with the goods and show us a trailer!

Currently working on...HCR #42

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by Capel: So far everyone that has seen the Avatar footage has sworn up and down it will revolutionize visual effects, so it's almost impossible that it won't.

But I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, just in case.

So is this movie all about visual effects and cpu power then?

06 June 2009
Guys

This is James Cameron.

He gets the concept of good characters. I am sure the FX will be groundbreaking, but I am also sure he will blow us away with the story.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by Boone: To be honest, I couldn't really care for this 24 minute preview. I don't get to see it so how can I possibly be excited about it?

Come on Cameron - out with the goods and show us a trailer!

I would have to agree. For me there's been way too much talk and speculation too soon before the movies release. More importantly most of the talk is about the technology and effects which (for me) does not a good movie make. Mr. Cameron......Beyond the latest/greatest 3D cinema effects, is there a compelling story?

06 June 2009
I really liked the first Terminator but I wasnt a huge fan of any of his other movies, although they were great for groundbreaking visuals and action and worth watching for that alone(I think his movies lost something after Gale Anne Hurd left the picture--and her influence is probably one major reason why the Hulk 08 had normal competent storytelling values). I didnt like True Lies or Titanic.

I feel that after Titanic being top box office champ and winning all sorts of awards he didnt want to go and do another normal film that would be less of an achievement than that(although he did talk about doing an alien film with Ridley Scott at one point).
The top 3d film of all time would be something unique, groundbreaking and unaffected by the shadow of Titanic.
There really isnt much new under the sun story wise, and he seemed to gravitate towards very old fashioned good vs evil, black and white themes (Alien 3 and Terminator 3 messed with his happy endings). I expect more of the same.
Dances with Wolves in outer space maybe.

06 June 2009
Word from down under is that when it's good, it's breathtaking. I wonder how they're going to be able to keep the quality up for the number of shots still to do.

I also wonder how many TDs they're going to kill getting it finished

You can have your characters photoreal, fast or cheap. Pick two.

Thread Closed share thread