RSI sufferer - Advice wanted

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2009
Unhappy RSI sufferer - Advice wanted

Hi,

I've been suffering with Wrist RSI for a 3 years now. I didnt take much notice of it in the beginning. I guess it was my own fault. I used to sit on PC for 16 hour plus 3D modelling with a crap chair and a high desk. I started getting pains in my wrist and gotton worse from then on.

3 years on i bought a new chair, wrist support, new mouse - Vertical mouse 3 ( which has helped a little).. but I feel I gone past the point of no return and now im getting tingling pins and needles across my forearm to elbow

this is really worrying me now as I have a year left to go at Universty and I need to use the mouse for my 3D work, I'm scared I may have to drop everything and change careers completly.

Any 3D artist RSI/carpel tunnel sufferer out there?? any advice you can give me

Last edited by Prince3d : 06 June 2009 at 07:02 PM.

06 June 2009
Switch to wacom and do not ever touch a mouse again. It worked for me.

Also start swimming.

06 June 2009
I found wacom too hard to use in Maya, slowed me right down. maybe I didnt give it enough time.

06 June 2009
Exercise... Nothing will help more.
I would give more practice with the wacom in all programs also.

06 June 2009
My mouse is now gone and I am restricting myself to my trusty Bamboo. Never going back.

Also, why do you say its gone beyond the point of no return? Have you sought the opinion of your Doctor? If not - do so immediately.

Currently working on...HCR #42

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by Prince3d: I found wacom too hard to use in Maya, slowed me right down. maybe I didnt give it enough time.

I use wacom for everything and it is much faster than the mouse once you get used to it. It shouldnt take longer than a week.

I tried using a mouse the other day and it felt so clunky after getting used to the precision of the pen.

Not like you have a choice. You either get used to it or your wrist gets worse. The vertical mouse stuff doesnt really work (I tried that too) since you are still clicking all over the place. Wacom cuts down on the clicks considerably.

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by BigPixolin: Exercise... Nothing will help more.
I would give more practice with the wacom in all programs also.

What exercises is good for wrist RSI??

06 June 2009
Deadlifts.

Be careful.

06 June 2009
Haven't touched a mouse in years. Highly recommended you get comfy with a wacom.

06 June 2009
I had similar problems and made the move to a tablet a while ago. When you are used to working well with a mouse, shifting to another input device will definitely feel clunky, but you should force yourself to get used to it. I use Maya at work daily and I wouldn't go back to a mouse unless my tablet broke - and then probably just to get to amazon.com to order a new one.
If you need the motivation, just remember how it feels when it really hurts or you wake up in the morning with your arm on fire. To feel comfortable with it, it took me maybe a couple of weeks while tweaking the wacom driver options as I went. For a while, try to ignore the mouse completely - just navigating your pc or browsing with the tablet - middle click scrolling is good for browsing. I use the lower button for right-click and the upper button for middle-click. Makes working with maya pretty easy

Apart from that, try stopping very once in a while and shaking/stretching your arm. Get away from the desk even if its only for a few minutes. You could rearrange your keyboard shortcuts to alter the share of the work each of your hands do while working.
Look into getting a Felxtend glove.

06 June 2009
RSI can usually be attributed to using the wrong size mouse for your hand, especially one that is too small. If a bigger mouse isn't enough, then try switching back and forth between two different mouses.

06 June 2009
I've never had a problem until recently after working a lot of crunch time. But it's my clicking finger that hurts, not my wrist. I know what you mean, it is scary to think that this threatens your career. For me just becoming aware of the pain has helped me put my hand in a more relaxed position, but there is still pain so eventually i'm gonna have to do something about it, but i'm not sure what. Modelling using a wacom just doesn't work for me, however using microsofts new Natal technology for modelling would be a perfect solution...someone needs to make that happen.

06 June 2009
I agree with everyone else about using a wacom tablet instead. I was starting to have troubles with my wrist until I recently switched to using a tablet only. It does take some getting used to though. At first I was slowed down in Maya cause I wasn't used to using a tablet, but you get used to it pretty fast and your wrist will feel better. Taking a 3-5 minute break every 30-40 minutes has helped out my wrist too.

06 June 2009
If all else fails I would suggest a Kensington Expert Mouse.

Regarding the Vertical Mouse 3, just looking at that thing makes my hand hurt.

06 June 2009
Originally Posted by Prince3d: What exercises is good for wrist RSI??

Guitar Hero

Thread Closed share thread