Render Proxies and BSP2

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2009   #1
Render Proxies and BSP2

Whenever I use BSP2, my geometry shaded objects do not render. However when I switch back to BSP they render again.

Am I missing something obvious here? The only difference that's causing this is switching between BSP and BSP2.

Old 05 May 2009   #2
that is for rendering MR Proxies if I am not wrong.....

Old 05 May 2009   #3
Well I got the instanced render proxies to work by switching from raytrace to scanline under BSP2. However now, the instanced proxies are not included in the final gather stage.

I thought BSP2 was supposed to handle instances and that was the point. Hmmm....

Old 05 May 2009   #4
are you following proper method??? here is the link to tutorial http://www.scribd.com/doc/11721860/MR-Proxy-Max

Please go through this tutorial once and make sure that you are not missing anything...

Old 05 May 2009   #5
Yep, I use this script:

http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downl...Proxy-5739.html

It works fine in BSP mode, but objects dissapear in BSP2 mode set to raytrace. BSP2 mode set to scanline works but proxies do not appear in reflections or final gather.

Old 05 May 2009   #6
Then again to further add to the problem, standard instanced objects do not work either under BSP2 and raytrace which I find extremely puzzling since this was the whole point of BSP.

Old 05 May 2009   #7
Okay problem/bug found, it seems as there is a limit to how many instances ou can have in a scene when using BSP2!

Maya 2008SP1 Release notes:

Quote: For BSP2 acceleration, fixed possible missing geometry for objects with multiple instances in the scene. Fixed possible self-shadowing artifacts for such scenes.

However I'm using Maya 2009SP1a.....

Bug reported.

Anyone out there know what exactly that limit is?

Last edited by Hamburger : 05 May 2009 at 06:30 AM.

Old 05 May 2009   #8
Hi.
You use GI? I know that is a strange question, but i'm sure.
If you have a mapviz, delete the file in outliner (canc).

Old 05 May 2009   #9
UNfortunately I don't have any FG mapviz's in the scene, and it's just a Sun + Sky setup without any GI.

I just have to put this one down to a bug somewhere. Because as soon as I Convert the instances to objects they render fine.

But that is no solution for the size of this scene, I'd run out of memory very quick.

Old 05 May 2009   #10
Ok.
I'm sure that render of hundred and hundred instance is possible. But i'm analized the file. The specific situation.
I hope that you resolve the problem.

bye
Dario

Old 10 October 2009   #11
Hi Hamburger!

Did you find a solution to this issue? Other than switch to maya 2010?

Old 10 October 2009   #12
Unfortunately this issue was not patched with Maya 2009 and Autodesk confirmed to me it as a bug, so I don't think it's best to use BSP2 and instances/proxies until you upgrade to Maya 2010.

In the meantime Large BSP/Regular BSP should work although it is slower.

The limit before it breaks was something like 9 or 10 instances/proxies? I can't remember now.

Last edited by Hamburger : 10 October 2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 10 October 2009   #13
I get the same problem with mip_binaryproxy and FG, when it render i just get a grey screen.

Old 10 October 2009   #14
Very, very strange... So to clarify for myself, you're running into a nine instance barrier with Maya 2009 SP1, using BSP2?

Are you using standard Maya instances or mip_binary_proxy?

I'm still using 2009 (and will continue to do so until the Apocalypse, evidently) and have no problem pushing thousands of instances through, using BSP2, raytracing, and Maya instancing. I think I'm missing a piece to your puzzle? We discussed this briefly in the Forest thread, but I don't have this bug at all...

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10 October 2009   #15
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Very, very strange... So to clarify for myself, you're running into a nine instance barrier with Maya 2009 SP1, using BSP2?

Well not anymore, this is an older thread that was bumped. But yes, back on this particular project this was certainly the case.

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Are you using standard Maya instances or mip_binary_proxy?

Yes, the project was using mip_binary_proxy and maya instances with BSP2.

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: I'm still using 2009 (and will continue to do so until the Apocalypse, evidently) and have no problem pushing thousands of instances through, using BSP2, raytracing, and Maya instancing. I think I'm missing a piece to your puzzle? We discussed this briefly in the Forest thread, but I don't have this bug at all...

I can't remember the exact reasons behind this situation, but I did send in a scene that was reproducible...it was a confirmed bug by Autodesk and dagon1978 but it was completely fixed in Maya 2010.

It's good that you aren't getting this error though! Don't change your workflow because whatever you're doing it seems to be good for you.

Thread Closed share thread