CGTalk > Community Challenges > Past Mini Challenges (Archives) > Dominance War IV
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM   #1
doylle
Game-Artist.net

portfolio
Jeroen Maton
Torhout, Belgium

Dominance War IV - Minichallenge #2 - 3D

Judges are currently hard at work judging all final entries. While we wait, to conclude Dominance War IV, we are keeping this final mini challenge fun, easy and creative. This year's conclusive worldwide 3d mini challenge topic is:

War General Pet Portraits!

The rules are simple Ė This is a sculpting/modeling challenge, no textures or coloring. Artists are to model the upper body of a single pet in 3d. No multiple creatures in one image and don't include any part of a master/owner in the image. Pets can be a dog, a small dragon, a multi-headed worm, a bear, a pet demon, an undead pixy, a small cute robot, basically anything that is smaller then a bear and can fit into a house. A pet giant robot is not what we are looking for. Pets can be from any time period, any race and any unnatural race (undead, demons, robots etc). Your pet must include your teamís logo somewhere on his body or on his accessories. How you incorporate your team's logo into your entry, we leave this up to your imagination.

You have 9 days (2 weekends plus 5 days) to finish with the following specs:
- Everything for this challenge must be made from scratch. A base model will not be given to you by Dominance War organizers. No preexisting ideas or body models can be used. Starting with a standard primitive object is fine. A sphere, a cube, zspheres, etc are all fine.
- No multiple colors allowed. Everything must be in a single color. Dark and light shades of that single color is acceptable.
- Only show 45% maximum of your pet. Do not create the entire body. Your pet's head, shoulders and arms or front legs are fine. You must blend your pet's remaining body into your pedestal.
- You MUST include a pedestal in your sculpture. A pedestal is not a floor.
- You have unlimited Polygons to create your 3d sculpture.
- You can use any 3d software package on planet earth to create your entry.
- You can use any 3d software lighting package or set up on planet earth to light your entry.

Additional Notes:
- Artists cannot switch teams during challenges. If you were on Polycountís team in our first mini challenge or main event, you must remain on Polycountís team during this mini challenge.
- As always, entering a mini challenge is optional. It is not required.
- Posting your work in progress in this single thread is ABSOLUTLY MANDATORY.
- You can only submit ONE 1000x1000 (up to 1000x1000. Smaller dimensions are fine) 350k final image and this image must include your team's logo, your War General Pet's name, and your personal name and/or contact details.
- Only 1 entry per person. Do not create or try to create multiple entries with different user names.
- Yes, entering both the 3d and 2d sections of this challenge is fine.
- Final submissions are final. If you upload your final image 4 days before the deadline, do not ask us to change it. Make sure you are happy with your image before you submit it into the system.
- Public voting starts June 3rd and ends June 7th. When public voting is over, each team's best entries are gathered together into a single pool and a grand mini champion will be chosen and announced with all other Dominance War IV event champions in mid June.

Good luck to all those who enter!

Deadline: Monday June 1st 2009 - 11:59pm Eastern Time

>> Submit your final images here <<
(UPDATED URL!!!
)

Last edited by doylle : 05-30-2009 at 06:08 AM.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
nellement
Design Junkie

portfolio
Nemanja Jovanovic
Impulse design freelance
Podgorica, Serbia and Montenegro

Send a message via Yahoo to nellement
Great!will try something cool!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Abrvpt
Frequenter

portfolio
Dinny NANJA
PARIS, France

I think i'll try it also, i love sculpting.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
animsennn
Veteran
portfolio
Senthil nathan
3d Artist
redoctane
Chennai, India

PETTT !!! very interesting..........

Old 05-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
SergioSantos
Digital Sculptor

portfolio
Sergio Santos
Senior Character Artist
Los Angeles, USA

I'll try this one!
sounds fun

Old 05-22-2009, 01:27 PM   #6
walrus
I used too many monkeys

portfolio
Michael Dashow
Sr. Art Director
Kabam
Oakland, USA

Doylle - The rules you have listed above seem mainly to cover 3D entries. However, on DominanceWar.com, the briefer-brief-than-you've-posted-here says
Quote:
...you now have until June 1st to create a sculpture or painting of a pet fit for a war general.

Can you tell us whether the no-multiple colors allowed rule applies to painting, or just to the sculpting?
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
doylle
Game-Artist.net

portfolio
Jeroen Maton
Torhout, Belgium

Not sure. I'll try to get an answer for you asap.

/Edit:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=282&t=766565

This should answer you question. Apologies for the delay

Last edited by doylle : 05-22-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
PuiArt
Opportunist

portfolio
Pui Che
Freelance
Illustration & Concept Artist
Chicago, USA

great challenge! i am so in!

firstly, where do we go about posting our WIPs? if this is like DW IV Mini-challenge #1, then i haven't seen a WIP thread around just yet, has it been created O.o?

"- Posting your work in progress in this single thread is ABSOLUTLY MANDATORY." Copy and paste of FredH's thread http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/...read.php?t=9256

Secondly, on FredH's thread there seems to be more requirement to the end piece, like putting in a frame and what not; which is not a problem at all for me maybe thats the requirement for 2D, not 3D? i am simply wondering if the idea of the challenge is being formulated as we speak, nevertheless i really wanna enter this challenge, let the tablet clashing and clanging begin! woot!

"- You MUST include a picture-frame in your final illustration." FredH

i apologize if this is being work out and work on atm, cheers =D

Old 05-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #9
BaronImpossible
Dr Ass-hat-on

portfolio
Simon Dominic
Illustrator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus
Doylle - The rules you have listed above seem mainly to cover 3D entries. However, on DominanceWar.com, the briefer-brief-than-you've-posted-here says

...you now have until June 1st to create a sculpture or painting of a pet fit for a war general.

Thanks for letting us know, Mike. I saw this and thought it was 3D only. It's possible I won't have time to enter but it's good to know the option's there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doylle
Not sure. I'll try to get an answer for you asap.

/Edit:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=282&t=766565

This should answer you question. Apologies for the delay

Thanks

Old 05-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #10
doylle
Game-Artist.net

portfolio
Jeroen Maton
Torhout, Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuiArt
great challenge! i am so in!

firstly, where do we go about posting our WIPs? if this is like DW IV Mini-challenge #1, then i haven't seen a WIP thread around just yet, has it been created O.o?

"- Posting your work in progress in this single thread is ABSOLUTLY MANDATORY." Copy and paste of FredH's thread http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/...read.php?t=9256

Secondly, on FredH's thread there seems to be more requirement to the end piece, like putting in a frame and what not; which is not a problem at all for me maybe thats the requirement for 2D, not 3D? i am simply wondering if the idea of the challenge is being formulated as we speak, nevertheless i really wanna enter this challenge, let the tablet clashing and clanging begin! woot!

"- You MUST include a picture-frame in your final illustration." FredH

i apologize if this is being work out and work on atm, cheers =D

Please use this thread to post your wip shots. No need to make new thread like the main challenge. It will get a bit busy here, but that's alright

I suspect you're thinking about the 2D guidelines. You can find the 2D thread here, there was a bit of a delay, so you may have missed it earlier.

Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
dman3d
Frequenter

portfolio
. .
USA

Sorry (dumb question) but I have never participated in DW, but, the DW site says competition is closed and I would like to participate. Might anyway eligible or not. Is it possible to participate in this particular portion without already being declared on a team? (yes its obvious if there has not been any modifications due to the extension/addition of the pet bit, just need clarification)

Last edited by dman3d : 05-22-2009 at 05:30 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
PuiArt
Opportunist

portfolio
Pui Che
Freelance
Illustration & Concept Artist
Chicago, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman3d
Sorry but I have never participated in DW, but, the DW site says competition is closed and I would like to participate. Might anyway eligible or not. Is it possible to participate in this particular portion without already being declared on a team?

i do believe that you have full previllege to participate in this Mini-Challenge #2 without entering the main event, with that said, i believe that you are free to enter in any of the challenges without obligated to participate in all three, and this challenge is optional as well, but in no exception that this is gonna be another one hell of of a inspiration and perspiration competition to join in, so you are free to join in any of the participating forums i would strongly encourage you to hop in as well =D

P.S. this is gonna be the 3D WIP thread i believe, and the 2D thread will be here http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...239#post5882239 , i think. you are welcome to choose to join in which ever format you enjoy, or both =).

cheers,

Last edited by PuiArt : 05-22-2009 at 05:27 PM.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #13
dman3d
Frequenter

portfolio
. .
USA

Very cool then and exciting, thanks

Last edited by dman3d : 05-22-2009 at 05:55 PM.

Old 05-23-2009, 03:25 PM   #14
sanat49
Frequenter

portfolio
Anatoliy Sidorov
Irkutsk%252FKaliningrad, Russia

Send a message via ICQ to sanat49
where WIP to create?
i start to here

my idea of pet

and with pedestal
question - can i use this pedestal?