Maxwell Render 2.0

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2009   #1
Maxwell Render 2.0

Next limit is now in the process of revealing some of the new features on the next release of Maxwell 2.0

http://www.maxwellrender.com/version2/

Old 05 May 2009   #2
It's great that it's getting faster & smoother... But 2 hours for that untextured interior to render at 1000x550 is still utter madness to me.

Old 05 May 2009   #3
New pics without the noise look cg to me.

Old 05 May 2009   #4
Originally Posted by ienrdna: New pics without the noise look cg to me.

just add some noise in comp.
voila.

....::www.yellow-submarine.org::....

Old 05 May 2009   #5
Originally Posted by Stimpy: just add some noise in comp.
voila.

No... it's not about the noise, they really look more cg. Looks like they sacrificed some quality for the sake of speed. And I would say it's a doubteful decision because it lost a lot in terms of a realism.
ALL pictures look way less realistic, and I would say they look more like vray renders now. What's the point in maxwell then.

Old 05 May 2009   #6
Yup, definitely. Looks like there's lot more light bouncing going on in older renders, causing bright highlights here and there and different tones.

Old 05 May 2009   #7
it's no secret that adding noise to a crappy render will make it look more realistic. Not better, just more believable as photography.

Old 05 May 2009   #8
Originally Posted by Sandr0: Yup, definitely. Looks like there's lot more light bouncing going on in older renders, causing bright highlights here and there and different tones.

I guess it's about shaders, but who knows.

Originally Posted by lo: it's no secret that adding noise to a crappy render will make it look more realistic. Not better, just more believable as photography.

I think it's not so, and maxwell was realistic not because of noise. Or at least if you show some examples where noise added some realism.

Old 05 May 2009   #9
Quote: ALL pictures look way less realistic, and I would say they look more like vray renders now. What's the point in maxwell then.

The grain on the 1.7 renders diffuse the level of contrast in places. Obviously as well, adding grain to a render will often make it look less perfect. So, because of those two things, a couple of the v2 renders do look more CG, because the contrast doesn't appear as subtle, and the renders look far too clean. I don't think it's more than that. A number of those renders don't look that crash-hot to start with, so perhaps they were simply chosen to show the amount of grain that's reduced.

Whether Maxwell is capable of more than Vray, I have no idea. But, I don't think those renders are the best ones to answer that question.

Old 05 May 2009   #10
You cannot judge the performance and quality based on those few images alone. Be patient and wait for all the other reveals and until it's actually finished, then make a fair judgement of it's quality and performance again. Now you guys are only speculating and guessing.

/ Magnus

Old 05 May 2009   #11
I won't make a decision based on those images, i mean i'm not overly impressed, but then again it's just demonstrating speed and noise reduction.

I'm going to wait and see what else they have to offer, to be honest i won't be buying it, i don't use any software that supports it and i have lux render (although it's not really upto maxwells speeds). But still, i look forward too what they have to offer

Old 05 May 2009   #12
The Hardware specs in those images are mainly high performance, so you still need that to have a decent image in decent time.

Old 05 May 2009   #13
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: Now you guys are only speculating and guessing.
Yes but if we weren't doing that then we'd be doing stupid things, like work.

Old 05 May 2009   #14
2 hours for that clay interior render? no thanks...

Old 05 May 2009   #15
Originally Posted by Magnus3D: Now you guys are only speculating and guessing.

you must be new here..

....::www.yellow-submarine.org::....

Thread Closed share thread